Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Due to this morning’s incident downtown, Nashville International Airport announced Friday afternoon around 2:30 p.m. that the Federal Aviation Administration had halted flights out of the airport until later this afternoon. 

The airport released a statement saying they expect issues to be resolved by 3 p.m., and would provide an update by 3:30 p.m.

Edited by gman430

was this adjacent to an AT&T switching facility and what corner was the RV parked at on 2nd St?   I do agree with some others it might be aimed at At&T but at this point who knows until there is further investigation.  Praying for the people who were injured and those who lost their apartments or homes.  And the businesses after a terrible year this is something else to hurt them. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

This is the where "The internet comes out of the ground". This is the portal for the direct connection to the hub in Atlanta. Atlanta is one of only a few sites in the United States with a hub directly on the internet backbone. By taking out the AT&T switch building, that will impact the backbone in Atlanta, as well as all internet/phone/sms/etc from Alabama to Kentucky (I know EVERYTHING AT&T is out in western/southern Kentucky). People will die because they cannot call 911. Stores are turning away customers because cash registers don't work without internet. There are secondary fiber from Virginia that is our primary backup, but also they are primary for Verizon, I think MCI lines. But the AT&T switch building is the big dog. Think of it as a level III site, while Atlanta is a level II site. There are 3 ULTRA MAJOR data centers in downtown Nashville next to the AT&T switch building - because they are <1 nanosecond from the internet backbone. So, 1+1=...we have several MAJOR companies in Nashville that immediately failed over to disaster recovery sites - as I type. I have many IT friends that are in emergency mode, and will be 24x7 until the next week, minimum

Hope that helps everyone understand the magnitude of this event. It's very difficult to believe that this was just randomly parked in the one location capable of disabling all telecommunications for a 3 state region. But, to answer your question, those of us in IT have always known that. All other telecommunications in Nashville is secondary, but there is only one portal - and that's it. 

I was told about one major, major, major New York City bank having it's servers in large non-descript building somewhere in Nashville which handles all most of their business. I trust this person to have that knowledge. There may be more to this than is currently being revealed.

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

This is the where "The internet comes out of the ground". This is the portal for the direct connection to the hub in Atlanta. Atlanta is one of only a few sites in the United States with a hub directly on the internet backbone. By taking out the AT&T switch building, that will impact the backbone in Atlanta, as well as all internet/phone/sms/etc from Alabama to Kentucky (I know EVERYTHING AT&T is out in western/southern Kentucky). People will die because they cannot call 911. Stores are turning away customers because cash registers don't work without internet. There are secondary fiber from Virginia that is our primary backup, but also they are primary for Verizon, I think MCI lines. But the AT&T switch building is the big dog. Think of it as a level III site, while Atlanta is a level II site. There are 3 ULTRA MAJOR data centers in downtown Nashville next to the AT&T switch building - because they are <1 nanosecond from the internet backbone. So, 1+1=...we have several MAJOR companies in Nashville that immediately failed over to disaster recovery sites - as I type. I have many IT friends that are in emergency mode, and will be 24x7 until the next week, minimum

Hope that helps everyone understand the magnitude of this event. It's very difficult to believe that this was just randomly parked in the one location capable of disabling all telecommunications for a 3 state region. But, to answer your question, those of us in IT have always known that. All other telecommunications in Nashville is secondary, but there is only one portal - and that's it. 

So are Nashville companies F****** ? 

21 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

I was told about one major, major, major New York City bank having it's servers in large non-descript building somewhere in Nashville which handles all most of their business. I trust this person to have that knowledge. There may be more to this than is currently being revealed.

You're thinking of <redacted to not speculate motive>  and they do have a large outfit of gear downtown close to the AT&T Hub. It's not all their most critical applications but there are a lot that serve their southeast/central region operations.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 9:38 AM, BnaBreaker said:

At 6:30 AM on an empty street outside an empty restaurant?  Let's not get carried away here my friend.  Not trying to downplay this in the least as any explosion is obviously a dangerous situation, but I'm just saying... I doubt that empty fondue restaurants in Nashville are on the terrorist target list.  ;)

Well apologies folks, I certainly put my foot in my mouth on that one didn't I?  I was thinking of internationally based terrorism, but I hadn't considered that it might be a domestic group, or perhaps simply a lone actor gone bonkers.   Such a shame we have to consider such possibilities these days.  I'm just glad that you're all safe and that nobody was seriously injured.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sean blackdog said:

More video. :shok:

That’s odd. I’m assuming this video is for the East Nashville area? If so, why does the explosion look like it’s do the left of the Batman building more in the area closer to Broadway and not to the right where the actual explosion was. Am I not looking at this right?

12 minutes ago, TNinVB said:

That’s odd. I’m assuming this video is for the East Nashville area? If so, why does the explosion look like it’s do the left of the Batman building more in the area closer to Broadway and not to the right where the actual explosion was. Am I not looking at this right?

Security video from Crosspoint Church.

148C55EB-2622-4AFC-8F7B-2B0D83F164F9.png

Anyone here (Baronakim, PHofKS, Rookzie, et.al.) know the history of ATT's presence on Second Avenue? If it's like the old ATT building in downtown Atlanta, it was used early on to house the switchboard operators who plugged the circuit boards to connect phone calls. It was expanded several times during the middle 20th Century. I'd expect that's the original site (if not building) of ATT's first 'modern' operations in Nashville (ca. 1920).