Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

The site of the explosion is now on Google Maps.

image.png.1e293ab5de9b29f97e5b3a114e68d837.png

To me, I wonder if this bombing was just a test.  I mean, the bomber went out of his way to make sure no one would be killed or even injured.  Consider this:  shots were fired, either real or from a loudspeaker, which attracted the police.  Then once the police were there, the warning started blaring from the RV that everyone in the area needed to be evacuated.  That early in the morning, particularly on Christmas morning, if the police weren't there to evacuate people, it's likely that not everyone would've heard or heeded the warning.

So I wonder if this is just a precursor to a much larger attack somewhere else on some other data center or some similar facility.  I seriously doubt--if this were the case--that they would attempt another attack on the Nashville data center.  But maybe this was just a trial run to see just how much damage someone could do to our communications infrastructure from such a minor attack ("minor" compared to attacks like 9-11 or OKC).  Whoever did this--if that's what their goal was--is an evil genius; most anyone else would've merely bombed a cell tower or two which would've resulted in just a fraction of the disruption to the communications network.

Whatever the reason, this whole thing makes me sick to my stomach.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Anyone here (Baronakim, PHofKS, Rookzie, et.al.) know the history of ATT's presence on Second Avenue? If it's like the old ATT building in downtown Atlanta, it was used early on to house the switchboard operators who plugged the circuit boards to connect phone calls. It was expanded several times during the middle 20th Century. I'd expect that's the original site (if not building) of ATT's first 'modern' operations in Nashville (ca. 1920). 

I remember it in the late 70's when I worked in the JK Polk State Office Building. We could see what we called the microwave relay towers some of which were pointed at us. The towers are gone, now. The taller red building must have been built in the early 70's or late  60's. I noticed on the aerial views today that there's some serious air conditioning equipment on the roof. I was under the impression (probably from something I heard) the thickness of the walls and lack of windows was to shield the equipment from stray electromagnetic waves and radiation. Distant memories!!

Edited by PHofKS
  • Thanks 1

I am currently visiting family in a rural county in middle Tennessee. This county, like many others, is without regular 9-1-1 services due to the explosion. Unlike some other places, they are also completely without any ability to call a local number for emergency services. All their landlines are AT&T and are out. The county posted on Facebook that anyone needing to contact emergency personnel should come to the police station in town. (I’m assuming you also take yourself to the hospital in any medical emergency.) Our communities are extremely vulnerable due to this attack!

Edited by donNdonelson2
  • Sad 4

On 12/26/2020 at 3:36 AM, Nathan_in_the_UK said:

Luckily, the odds of an earthquake happening here are lower than west or east Tennessee, but they're not non-existent. In my mind, that's the worst case scenario. Earthquake hits, causes damage to the gear in the building and cuts off the fuel supplies for the back up generators. Much of the emergency services communication and coordination system is now down indefinitely when it's most needed.

Sorry, your understanding of seismics in mid-America is likely based on outdated data.  As an architect, I have studied this for years.  I have spoken both at times with the heads of TEMA and FEMA, who off the record agreed with my opinion that preparations for earthquakes are woefully inadequate.  Eveyone knows about the New Madrid fault quakes over 200 years ago. However, it is only the southern end of a larger system called the Reelfoot Rift that extends up the Ohio River, then up the Wabash towards Chicago.  This stretch is much longer ovedue for a major release and has the potential to be bigger than those down in Memphis territory.  A similar magnitude quake would devaste St. Louis, Nashville and Chicago.  Serious damage could reach as far as Boston and Washington D.C. too.  It is all about the underlaying strata of bedrock that transmits the force over huge areas.  Unlike California of which its bedrock is very fractured and tends to damp out rather than amplifying the extent of a quake.  In 1810 & 1811, the New Madrid quakes  resulted in extensive liquification due to the bending down of the sedimentary limestone floor of the bedrock to the fault structure itself.  This bending was the result from millions of years ago when the plates of Africa pushed against the larger North American plate, threatening it to fracture into two plates.  This predated the existance, of course, of the Atlantic Ocean.  ProtoAfrica slid away , but the forces created the fault, now called a failed rift and the North American plate remained in one piece.  This also pushed up the eastern part of the plate many thousands of feet.  This would become after millions of years of erosion  (the Tennesse River was larger than the present Mississippi) , the Appalachian Mountains as we know them today.  Back to the Reelfoot Rift.  Nashville's greatest peril is from the rift in the Wabash area, as it is both closer and more impacted by the bedrock strata.  A movement aproximately equal to the 1811 earthquake would IMO mostly destroy St. Louis and Nashville.  Most of the concrete towers we have and are currently building today are vulnerable to pancaking.  The steel framed towers are much more likely to survive.  When the earhquakes in 1810 & 1811 reached Nashville, contemporary descriptions tell that the settlers of the fledgling town of Nashville were knocked off their feeet and could not stand for over 5 minutes.  Stone chimneys collapsed.  Fortunately for them the structural systen of log cabins are particulary earthquake resistant.  To the west though, the deep sediment covering the depressed bedrock caused massive waves of earth like surf from about 50 miles from Nashville to over by Little Rock.  The whole forested area was flattened and semiburied.  Essentially the banks of the Mississippi River moved towards themselves  and flooded most of where Memphis is today within minutes  There are many accounts of what happened on the river, as it was a great transportation highway.  Tales of the river running backwards are a bit extreme but did happen as a large karst cave system up towards the Ohio collapsed.  The river ran backwards until they filled the cavern's hole. In present times, Nashville would suffer great building damage and worse, massive flooding for the failures in the TVA dam system in Tennessee.  When built in 1940s and 50s, there were were studies made by the Core of Engineers.  However, these dams were built for flood control primarily, but eventualy were allowed higher pools for recreational use and the impoundments were much more high than originally intended.  While the concrete gravity dams are likely to remain intact, many of them have long earthen dikes beside them.  With larger pools, you get larger wave action which presumably would wash out these dikes.  This would pretty much cause massive flooding all the way to the Gulf.  Bridges would be down in many cases and pipelines and interstates would be hugely impacted, likewise airport runways.  If a similar quake over towards the Memphis area repeated, I doubt there would be a remaining piece of interstate highway  bigger than a turkey platter from Jackson to Memphis.  One should realize that the level of danger of earthquake damage is only a step down from the eruption of the Yellowstone caldera in terms of damge to US infrastructure.  It is not a matter of IF, but WHEN.  I have argued that earthquake codes are woefully conservative.  I had the opportunity to talk with Dr. Sterns, one of the formost authorites on quakes in the world at the time,  at Vanderbilt many years ago .  He generally agreed that building codes then were very much insufficient, though he was the expert in  sesmics rather than architecture.  In the 1800 quakes, chimneys fell in Washington D.C. and bells in Boston church towers rang from the quake hundreds of miles away.  A similar or greater quake on the northern Reelfoot Rift fault would devaste a huge area of the US and would take decades to repair.  The bombing on Second Avenue on Christmas Day is very minor compared to the damages we could suffer when the big quake finally happens.

Edited by Baronakim
spelling, grammar and miscellaneous corrections
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Sorry, your understanding of seismics in mid-America is likely based on outdated data.  As an architect, I have studied this for years.  I have spoken both at times with the heads of TEMA and FEMA, who off the record agreed with my oponion thet preparations for earthquakes are woefully inadequate. 

That's why I said less than east or west, but not non-existent. ;)

You're 100% correct though. Most structures in Tennessee weren't built with anything close to what would be adequate standards necessary when another major earthquake hits middle Tennessee. You bring up a great point about the Corps of Engineers projects...the system of CoE and TVA dams in the area are a disaster waiting to happen under the wrong confluence of events. Luckily, they seem to be in better States of repair than the rest of the major infrastructure in the US, at least... but maybe not.

Much of what you said echoes what I learned in some geology classes I took when I was an undergrad at UT years ago. We don't think of middle Tennyas being very geologically active, and compared to east and west it isn't as much, but not as active doesn't mean not active. It just means people are less prepared when something bad does happen.

• Like 1

I think that's the buildings a musician named Buck McCoy lived in with other residents. I don't know how many units were affected. Just to the left is The Old Spaghetti Factory, which was a staple on "Market Street" going back to before I was at Vandy. Utterly sad to see all that history destroyed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I think that's the buildings a musician named Buck McCoy lived in with other residents. I don't know how many units were affected. Just to the left is The Old Spaghetti Factory, which was a staple on "Market Street" going back to before I was at Vandy. Utterly sad to see all that history destroyed. 

if i'm not mistaken at think The Spaghetti Factory building is three or four buildings down from there to the right... I'm sure it was probably significantly affected too though.

• Thanks 1

One thing that's puzzled me is this:  with all the security cameras all over downtown and 2nd Ave, did anyone see the driver of the RV get out of the RV once it was parked?  If not, that suggests that it was a suicide bombing, and the officials who went to the guy's house might've been looking for DNA samples and maybe some sort of manifesto or note.  Since he was so careful to make sure that no one was killed or even seriously injured in the bombing (other than himself, presumably), hopefully he left a note explaining why he did what he did.  From things I've heard and read, he wasn't registered to vote and had no social media accounts, so it's doubtful that this was anything political.  To me, it's sounding like it's someone with an ax to grind against AT&T.  At least I sure hope that's all it is.

Edit:  CNN is saying it was a suicide bombing.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/26/us/nashville-tn-explosion/index.html

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2