Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

There are ways that a public parking garage can be designed to handle streams of cars in/out. There's one at Neyland Stadium. Works beautifully.  I realize why some folks despise large parking structures, but in this case, it would free up lots of open space for tailgating/picnics, etc. Even more space for complementary development. I fully expect Nashville to completely miss (yet) another opportunity to integrate a facility there into a transit system. I have seen enough over the years to conclude now that Nashville is THE WORST big city for transit. The piece-meal approach has resulted in (comically) how many 'transit hubs' being built over the past four decades (I count at least 3)?  To add insult to injury, the planning and leadership on the subject have been piss poor.  Yep.... Nashville is the worst! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it's safe to say that this is the one they were looking at Nashville for, but it was a legitimate search and Atlanta was at the top of the list even then. I know that because my friend from B-school is one of the developers involved. That's how I knew just how badly John Cooper blew it for Nashville. I know he has some supporters here, but he's really a small town mayor of a potentially big city. It's a misfit situation. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I think it's safe to say that this is the one they were looking at Nashville for, but it was a legitimate search and Atlanta was at the top of the list even then. I know that because my friend from B-school is one of the developers involved. That's how I knew just how badly John Cooper blew it for Nashville. I know he has some supporters here, but he's really a small town mayor of a potentially big city. It's a misfit situation. 

Wow. 15,000 jobs would have been transformative and believe it would've prompted a more serious look at transit than what's currently happening. Hopefully the mayor takes this as a lesson learned.

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I have Zero, none, zilch inside info on this, but I seriously doubt Microsoft would have chosen Nashville for 15k jobs. 

If we can get Amazon at 5k+, Oracle at 1k+, and a future Microsoft hub for 1k+ jobs, it would be ideal. 

• Like 4

The Mayor's Office has set up an Affordable Housing Task Force. 

Some of the biggest topics to be tackled: How can Nashville create affordable housing for all income levels? How will projects be financed, and how will the city protect the residents of existing neighborhoods? Is state, federal or nonprofit intervention needed to meet goals?

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/01/13/affordable-housing-task-force.html

Fred Diaz, the CEO of Mitsubishi North America, explains why he picked Nashville as the new HQ for the motor company.  He believes that many more west coast companies will be moving here as well.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/01/15/diaz-california-mitsubishi-franklin-hq.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

• Like 4

According to the below piece, Tennessee net Uhaul inbound traffic for the first time outgrew the same for all other states in 2020. 

https://www.oann.com/more-americans-moving-to-conservative-states-during-pandemic/

To try and understand what this measure actually is, it seems that this is the growth, in numbers, year over year, of net Uhaul traffic into a state. Here is how they explain it:

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/About/22746/2020-Migration-Trends-U-Haul-Ranks-50-States-By-Migration-Growth/

45 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Thank you to whomever (mods) removed the galling thread from two real estate brokers trying to market a "picker's paradise'."  So glad that cr@p isn't allowed on this forum.  Much appreciated! 

But it would have been an ideal business opportunity for anyone who might be moving to Bucksnort to be far from the madding crowds on Broadway. :tw_smirk:

• Haha 2