Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

16 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Right?  But it's not their money. 

Folks, we all need to be better with 'the maths'.   If we only knew what is being spent for 'our own good' we'd be ... um, ok... I won't get political. But $1.9 trillion for (what?) $1400?  OK...rant over... :ermm:

I know what you mean.  I was watching the news one day talking about some city spending $1 million per person a year on the homeless.  My first thought was the kinda house you could buy a homeless person for a $1 Million. :tw_love:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

I know what you mean.  I was watching the news one day talking about some city spending $1 million per person a year on the homeless.  My first thought was the kinda house you could buy a homeless person for a $1 Million. :tw_love:

Be glad that you and ml are not in charge. The issues would be much worse

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, titanhog said:

Thank you.  That’s our whole goal…to make the issue worse.  Appreciate the compliment.  Can always count on you for the compliments. 

If you are upset about cost of sidewalks(as am I), there are policies and people to blame. We should not be allowing developers to build new housing and skirting their responsibilities to add sidewalks. You can look at the appeals and see these cases all the time. And certain districts are far worse than others, you can tell which council people are beholden to developers. 

Clearly adding sidewalks after development has already occurred is an enormous expense. So we should work to prevent that as much as possible. That will mean increasing the cost of new developments, so developers are shouldering that burden.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, samsonh said:

If you are upset about cost of sidewalks(as am I), there are policies and people to blame. We should not be allowing developers to build new housing and skirting their responsibilities to add sidewalks. You can look at the appeals and see these cases all the time. And certain districts are far worse than others, you can tell which council people are beholden to developers. 

Clearly adding sidewalks after development has already occurred is an enormous expense. So we should work to prevent that as much as possible. That will mean increasing the cost of new developments, so developers are shouldering that burden.

Then why are you mocking me and ML?  Are just being a bully?  I don’t understand your remarks if we’re on the same page about the cost of sidewalks.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

Then why are you mocking me and ML?  Are just being a bully?  I don’t understand your remarks if we’re on the same page about the cost of sidewalks.

I was poorly attempting to chide you for you and ML for the previous two posts. I apologize if it upset you both. 

as to the sidewalks: a great example to look at is the nations. Allowing these teardowns/rebuilds to not build sidewalks has created a mess. No sidewalks + cars parking on the sides where pedestrians should be walking. It’s a dangerous situation we have allowed to let developers save some $$ on new construction.

I really think Metro is squarely to blame for a lot of the sidewalk issues. The plan and policies have not been consistent over the last 15 years and they have not held developers accountable either. It is much the same with the landscape requirements as codes lets these developers slide. When they say a 2 inch caliper tree, they should mean a 2 inch and not 1 1/2 inches. Just like codes screwed up the home distansces in the Nations allowing them to be built to close to gether in places.

Metro Codes is a train wreck and has been forever and between inconsistency with Planning and "Some" councilmembers in the past, things were allowed to happen that should not have happened.

I'd bet there's a lot of graft going on in the Codes Department.  Lots of things can be passed off as 'mistakes'.  I'm thinking of the lamebrain who issued the demolition permit for the antebellum mansion on Gallatin & Briley Pkwy about fifteen years ago. Sure the guy was paid off, but I think he was let off the hook. Then he retired. 

1 hour ago, samsonh said:

I was poorly attempting to chide you for you and ML for the previous two posts. I apologize if it upset you both. 

as to the sidewalks: a great example to look at is the nations. Allowing these teardowns/rebuilds to not build sidewalks has created a mess. No sidewalks + cars parking on the sides where pedestrians should be walking. It’s a dangerous situation we have allowed to let developers save some $$ on new construction.

My bad Samson.  I’m too touchy.  We good. :tw_blush:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I'd bet there's a lot of graft going on in the Codes Department.  Lots of things can be passed off as 'mistakes'.  I'm thinking of the lamebrain who issued the demolition permit for the antebellum mansion on Gallatin & Briley Pkwy about fifteen years ago. Sure the guy was paid off, but I think he was let off the hook. Then he retired. 

Now they are just way under staffed. Six weeks minimum for a simple permit.

• Like 1

A good example is Moore Ave in WeHo. Definitely needs to be all done at once but still nothing has been done. I would LOVE, to see what all the developers paid to get out of sidewalks and where that money is. 

Probably in the range of 15-20 new homes at least. Not a sidewalk in sight, every time there is a storm, you see complaints on Nextdoor about flooding and when it’s not complaints about that, it’s complaints about haphazard street parking because there are no curbs so it’s chaos. 

• Like 2

I understand that there is more to it than just paving a five foot wide slab of concrete, but that is a fairly shocking number.  It may be that it costs that much, and if that were the case then I think the city needs to be very strategic in where they put a sidewalk.

I am a huge fan of sidewalks, but at some point they can become so pricey that the money could be spent elsewhere more effectively.  An example: The AMP had a price tag of roughly $174 million and would have provided transportation to a large number of people.  For that same cost, the city could have built sidewalks along 55 miles of roads. Would the 55 miles of sidewalks been an improvement? Absolutely, but I would argue The AMP (even with all of its well documented limitations) would have been more impactful and beneficial for the city’s transportation network. 

• Like 2

On 2/5/2021 at 7:24 PM, titanhog said:

I would love to know where this is occurring.  I'll pack my bags quit my job and be there tomorrow.  There isn't a city/town/state/country in the world spending a million a year on a homeless person.

On 2/6/2021 at 4:37 PM, PaulChinetti said:

A good example is Moore Ave in WeHo. Definitely needs to be all done at once but still nothing has been done. I would LOVE, to see what all the developers paid to get out of sidewalks and where that money is. 

Probably in the range of 15-20 new homes at least. Not a sidewalk in sight, every time there is a storm, you see complaints on Nextdoor about flooding and when it’s not complaints about that, it’s complaints about haphazard street parking because there are no curbs so it’s chaos. 

I've lived on the 500 block of Moore for 5.5 years and nothing has been done in regards to traffic and infrastructure; Metro PD has had to have vehicles towed that have blocked my driveway. There have been 42 HPR 3-4 bedroom homes built since we bought our house; sidewalks have been built with 6 of those units. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not sure where else this would fit so mods feel free to move. Just wanted to rant.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with the shear amount of what I assume is spilled concrete at intersections around the city. If you drive into town on Lebanon Pike to 1st Ave, every light has multiple large piles of concrete. Is there any way to hold these folks accountable? Nashville has some of the worst surface streets I’ve encountered and this along with all of the “repaired” holes that developers dig for utilities is a large contributing factor in my opinion. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Craiger said:

Not sure where else this would fit so mods feel free to move. Just wanted to rant.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with the shear amount of what I assume is spilled concrete at intersections around the city. If you drive into town on Lebanon Pike to 1st Ave, every light has multiple large piles of concrete. Is there any way to hold these folks accountable? Nashville has some of the worst surface streets I’ve encountered and this along with all of the “repaired” holes that developers dig for utilities is a large contributing factor in my opinion. 

I’ve noticed this phenomenon, too.    For a while there was a large spill at the intersection of Franklin Rd and Harding Pl.  Someone, MPW or a good samaritan, finally came and chipped it away.    Try posting on Hub on the nashville.gov website.   

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

How does it even happen? There is one on the interstate over by where you get on around Hermitage Ave. Like how??

A bad interstate design from the 50's and no major updates to speak of in the last 25 or 30 years, maybe longer. I can only say from the time I have been here and traveled back and forth. 

On the theme of interchanges, part of the East bank plan may include at some point a redo of the Ellington Interchange around Spring and Main. It was brought up at the last planning meeting. It just takes up so much land.

• Like 1