Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

20 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

A bad interstate design from the 50's and no major updates to speak of in the last 25 or 30 years, maybe longer. I can only say from the time I have been here and traveled back and forth. 

On the theme of interchanges, part of the East bank plan may include at some point a redo of the Ellington Interchange around Spring and Main. It was brought up at the last planning meeting. It just takes up so much land.

Yeah, that's a mini-malfunction junction that makes no sense. I get that the CSX tracks make it a little difficult to work around, but it's a lot more complicated than it really needs to be. 

13 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Sorry I meant there is a big ole spot of concrete on one of the interstate lanes. 

I like the on ramp, nice and short and doesn't take a lot of space. 

My guess is a combination of bumps in the road and quick acceleration / deceleration. This would explain why it's mostly at intersections. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craiger said:

Not sure where else this would fit so mods feel free to move. Just wanted to rant.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with the shear amount of what I assume is spilled concrete at intersections around the city. If you drive into town on Lebanon Pike to 1st Ave, every light has multiple large piles of concrete. Is there any way to hold these folks accountable? Nashville has some of the worst surface streets I’ve encountered and this along with all of the “repaired” holes that developers dig for utilities is a large contributing factor in my opinion. 

I've been noticing more and more of these random concrete spills around town. Eventually somebody will drive over one of these piles of concrete and discover that it hadn't dried yet.

52 minutes ago, Craiger said:

My guess is a combination of bumps in the road and quick acceleration / deceleration. This would explain why it's mostly at intersections. 

Most likely.    Probably the result of a jerky gear shift through the intersection causing the load to shift and some of the concrete to spill on the road.     The driver probably never knew it happened.      

4 hours ago, Craiger said:

Not sure where else this would fit so mods feel free to move. Just wanted to rant.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with the shear amount of what I assume is spilled concrete at intersections around the city. If you drive into town on Lebanon Pike to 1st Ave, every light has multiple large piles of concrete. Is there any way to hold these folks accountable? Nashville has some of the worst surface streets I’ve encountered and this along with all of the “repaired” holes that developers dig for utilities is a large contributing factor in my opinion. 

Come drive around Chicago after a bad winter and you'll be wishing and praying you only had to deal with those little concrete piles!  :) ;)

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

The surface streets in much of Houston are also SUBSTANTIALLY worse than those of Nashville. Terrible for drivers, but the business for tire and car repair shops (and chiropractors) is great in the Bayou City! :tw_flushed:

As a current Houstonian, THIS. The roads in and around Houston are rough, and it's made even worse by how car-centric we are as a city!

2 hours ago, Craiger said:

This happens when the truck has to slam on the brakes to stop, causing some crete to spill out the front. That is the one big disadvantage of the front loaders used today. Seen this multiple times, especially Hermitage/KVB. Driver just drives away, no consequences unless seen by a police officer who can issue a citation 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

This happens when the truck has to slam on the brakes to stop, causing some crete to spill out the front. That is the one big disadvantage of the front loaders used today. Seen this multiple times, especially Hermitage/KVB. Driver just drives away, no consequences unless seen by a police officer who can issue a citation 

Yes the Hermitage / KVB intersection has probably close to a dozen separate spills!

6 hours ago, Craiger said:

5 hours ago, CenterHill said:

I’ve noticed this phenomenon, too.    For a while there was a large spill at the intersection of Franklin Rd and Harding Pl.  Someone, MPW or a good samaritan, finally came and chipped it away.    Try posting on Hub on the nashville.gov website.   

I think this could be a viable option too. :dontknow:

https://seeclickfix.com/

3 hours ago, LA_TN said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/8/2021 at 5:15 PM, smeagolsfree said:

China is banning skyscrapers over 500 meters and copycat architecture.

I think this is a great move. These super tall buildings are really problematic. Check out this article on the issues with 432 Park in NYC. The building is a 1400' super skinny condo and residents are already starting to show concern for the structural integrity. Most of the residents spend very little time there as well. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/03/realestate/luxury-high-rise-432-park.html 

1 hour ago, Thrill said:

I think this is a great move. These super tall buildings are really problematic. Check out this article on the issues with 432 Park in NYC. The building is a 1400' super skinny condo and residents are already starting to show concern for the structural integrity. Most of the residents spend very little time there as well. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/03/realestate/luxury-high-rise-432-park.html 

Your point is well taken, but to be fair, the structural issues on 432 Park are a result of how narrow the building is rather than how tall it is.  In other words, it is very much an anomaly.  

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Your point is well taken, but to be fair, the structural issues on 432 Park are a result of how narrow the building is rather than how tall it is.  In other words, it is very much an anomaly.  

That's interesting, I hadn't heard about the issues at 432. I guess the engineers learned from mistakes at 432 and applied design changes to the two "taller skinnies" down the street. I know one or both have a stepped effect. Maybe that'll help? I guess we'll see.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PostRural said:

That's interesting, I hadn't heard about the issues at 432. I guess the engineers learned from mistakes at 432 and applied design changes to the two "taller skinnies" down the street. I know one or both have a stepped effect. Maybe that'll help? I guess we'll see.

I'm curious to see what is coming down the pike for these types of supertall/super-skinnies as well.  To clarify, I'm by no means a structural engineer... or engineer of any kind.  Hell, math is basically my mortal enemy!  haha... so I'm just parroting what I've heard from actual professionals when I say that height isn't so much the problem as much as the way it is arranged, as you alluded to with the stepped effect.  You can design megatall buildings to be very safe, but whoever thought that building a quarter mile tall string bean would be a good idea probably isn't going to be getting very many more jobs in that field in the future.  :lol:

• Like 3

A newspaper clipping from Oct 14 1969 shows a proposed 21 story Music Row building. Not sure of the location as it just says in the heart of Music Row. Construction COST 5.5 million! Talk about inflation.

For some of you that were around then, any memories of this. Same page was the announcement of Opryland here.

UNKNOWN MUSIC ROW BUILDING.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

A newspaper clipping from Oct 14 1969 shows a proposed 21 story Music Row building. Not sure of the location as it just says in the heart of Music Row. Construction COST 5.5 million! Talk about inflation.

For some of you that were around then, any memories of this. Same page was the announcement of Opryland here.

UNKNOWN MUSIC ROW BUILDING.png

I remember the 'Wedding Cake' proposal fairly well. There was a better aerial rendering of it, but I have been unable to find it anywhere. As I recall, it was to have been built within a block or two from the former Octagon Building. I actually liked it and thought it would add some character and quirkiness  to the area.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, titanhog said:

Wish they would also have a TN Civil War Museum on the land where Greer Stadium was and tell the story of the war in TN, including the plight of those in slavery in TN.

Or relocate the Adventure Science Museum and put a TN Civil War / Civil Rights museum there. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 4