Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Several friends in Franklin who live in Cottonwood already moving all of their furniture and stuff to 2nd floor/attics in anticipation of flooding similar to 2010. Their houses were devastated in '10 and so sad to see it happening again. Harpeth River predicted to crest within inches of 2010.  No reports from Bellevue or predictions, as of yet, but the Harpeth took out so many neighborhoods there last time. Just hoping and praying it won't happen this time. 

Here’s footage from Bellevue, courtesy of NashSevereWx: 

30 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The Cumberland River this morning near downtown.  Another 15-20  ft. and we could have trouble.  

Looking north from the KVB Bridge:

Cumberland River downtown, March 28, 2021.jpeg

Hoping the forecast for the Cumberland verifies. Expected to crest just shy of 42’, the same level as the February 2020 flood. We got quite a bit less rain this time around(just over half) compared to 2010. 

27 minutes ago, Flatrock said:

Several friends in Franklin who live in Cottonwood already moving all of their furniture and stuff to 2nd floor/attics in anticipation of flooding similar to 2010. Their houses were devastated in '10 and so sad to see it happening again. Harpeth River predicted to crest within inches of 2010.  No reports from Bellevue or predictions, as of yet, but the Harpeth took out so many neighborhoods there last time. Just hoping and praying it won't happen this time. 

Simultaneously hoping the forecast for the Harpeth River doesn’t verify. Hopefully it crests soon and recedes quickly. 

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, titanhog said:

Watching News2 and I-24 near Hickory Hollow under water again (like 2010) with cars underwater.  Cumberland River rising.  Don’t think the Cumberland will do what it did in 2010…but it sure does remind us all how quickly things can change…and just how important it’s going to be to add a flood wall in downtown.  Also…has got to make all developers on the east bank (like River North) think twice.

I will bet it would have if we had gotten another 7 inches of rain today, like we did in 2010. Remember that was a two day rain event with about 14 inches of rain.

• Like 1

A lightning strike blew up the internet modem at my home last night, and Comcast won't be able to get a repairman out to fix things until Friday morning.  Hence, the normal amount of photos (which are all stored on my desk top computer) and other links on news stories I post will be severely curtailed for the next several days.  

• Sad 6

21 minutes ago, markhollin said:

A lightning strike blew up the internet modem at my home last night, and Comcast won't be able to get a repairman out to fix things until Friday morning.  Hence, the normal amount of photos (which are all stored on my desk top computer) and other links on news stories I post will be severely curtailed for the next several days.  

Very sorry. I wonder if that's the lightning strike that literally jolted us out of bed last night. Really loud, and really close.....

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

Very sorry. I wonder if that's the lightning strike that literally jolted us out of bed last night. Really loud, and really close.....

I bet it was! Tweet from NashSevereWeather said the strike was at Belmont and very powerful. Woke me up over in East

https://twitter.com/NashSevereWx/status/1377129177275527169?s=20

Edited by Bos2Nash
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

While I certainly hope it doesn't happen I'm a little worried about the past years' natural disasters (flooding, tornado, pandemic) and the bombing might have an impact on Nashville's growth rate. It may be too early to tell but I  hope for the best.

No worries about that. Spoke to a new Nashville resident that has been here for literally 2 weeks and they had never heard of the 2010 flood, or even the tornado from last year. (Hopefully), one year from now, nobody will remember the pandemic 

People forget quickly. Very few people research natural disasters before moving to a new location

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

I didn't even realize there was a flood that put Opryland underwater in 1975 until yesterday.

For a few years afterwards several Opryland buildings had signs that indicated the location of the flood line on the structures. Seems I recall that the flood happened just a couple of weeks before the spring opening day, but with “all hands on deck” they were able to open on time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I didn't even realize there was a flood that put Opryland underwater in 1975 until yesterday.

I worked there at the time of the flood. When the water went down a few days later, I had to help clean out the frozen meat locker in one of the restaurants. You grab a shovel (all the meat floated off the shelves and on to the floor) take a big gulp of air, run in the locker and grab a shovel full of that stuff, run quickly out and dump it in the can. Then repeat. Then go home and throw away your jeans.

Good times. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

I worked there at the time of the flood. When the water went down a few days later, I had to help clean out the frozen meat locker in one of the restaurants. You grab a shovel (all the meat floated off the shelves and on to the floor) take a big gulp of air, run in the locker and grab a shovel full of that stuff, run quickly out and dump it in the can. Then repeat. Then go home and throw away your jeans.

Good times. 

I think I know what you mean. I took my two sons to the landfill last week to dump about a ton of building demolition debris and brush. We couldn't move fast enough!  Threw away our old clothes and shoes.  We ran through the hosue buck naked when we got home. Should have added that this was right after the massive rains we had midweek.  The muck was utterly disgusting.  As one of the boys said, "Dad, it smells like a mix of manure, decayed flesh, and CABBAGE!"   LOL... didn't know he knew what cabbage smelled like. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I think I know what you mean. I took my two sons to the landfill last week to dump about a ton of building demolition debris and brush. We couldn't move fast enough!  Threw away our old clothes and shoes.  We ran through the hosue buck naked when we got home. Should have added that this was right after the massive rains we had midweek.  The muck was utterly disgusting.  As one of the boys said, "Dad, it smells like a mix of manure, decayed flesh, and CABBAGE!"   LOL... didn't know he knew what cabbage smelled like. 

I live in N. M’boro and the smell floats our way once or twice a week…and it smells like a 1000 dead dogs (I’ve smelled 1 dead dog before in the woods near my house growing up…so I’m imagining what 1000 of those would smell like).

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bnacincy said:

While I certainly hope it doesn't happen I'm a little worried about the past years' natural disasters (flooding, tornado, pandemic) and the bombing might have an impact on Nashville's growth rate. It may be too early to tell but I  hope for the best.

I wouldn't worry about that at all.  Houston is still one of the fastest growing cities in the country in spite of its three  recent "500-year" floods, one of which also involved a Cat 4 hurricane:

• Memorial Day Flood of 2015
  • Tax Day Flood of 2016
  • Hurricane Harvey in 2017

San Francisco still has some of the planet's most expensive real estate despite the constant threat of a major earthquake.  There might be a few people who are turned off by the wacky weather we've experienced the last few years, but by and large, people are quick to forget these things.

Changing the subject a little bit.

I'm constantly looking at YouTube for aerial drone videos of Nashville. The thing is, so many of them are out of date-and in Nashville's case if the video is older than 6 months it is out of date.

So I wondered if there is a local Forum Member who could do for Nashville what Mark is doing -only instead of still photos the occasional drone video of the City-not just downtown but also in the neighborhoods and suburbs. Basically keeping everyone up to date on what's happening around Nashville in terms of development and growth.

I would definitely subscribe if anyone is able and willing!

I've had some like this in my mind all through covid @bnacincy Something like flying down all the main corridors towards downtown. Or maybe there are paths I could fly that would cover more territory.

If there would be interest in something like that, I could definitely start it up with a little planning.

It would be awesome to look back on it in 10 years and see all the change.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, markhollin said:

Oh well, maybe my tendonitis might go away a bit, from scrolling those captivating hi-res pix that seem to evolve from nowhere every second..:)
<ricky snickers>

I know the frustration, since I've held off buying outright a modem for myself, until Comcast service stabilizes a tad more in my sub-, even though I did buy one last year for my mom's account (which I can better tweak for remote management).  That said, Comcast did replace one I leased due to a lightning strike back in 2010.  It even blew components of my own equipment ─ the integral NIC (Network Interface Card)  on the PC motherboard; the external firewall device; and the network switch, since I hardwired my whole house back then for Ethernet.  Fortunately (if there was any solace at all), I hadn't installed a 2nd switch needed for all the ports (48 capacity total).

But I did go through extreme hoops to arrest most of those strikes by hammer-drilling several 4-foot grounding rods in the earth away from the foundation with buried copper ribbon, as well as to install solid copper bus bars as a grounding station from which are strung 8-ga solid copper grounding wires through the foundation top sill, as as to install fuse-protected signal-isolation blocks for the Ethernet downstream of the modem.  It's not a 100% guaranteed, but so far it probably has saved me hundreds, if not even thousands on switching gear, let alone motherboards and add-on NICS.

Believe you -> me, I totally empathize and therefore share the hurt!

• Like 1