Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I think "calmer" waters might be the opposite of what you want in an urban recreational waterway. People already complain about the Cumberland being kinda gross, making it more sluggish isn't going to help that. When I think of a great urban recreational river, I think of the James river in Richmond, which is actual rapids through the downtown area, but with lots of side pools and such that can be swum in, and calmer water for powerboats upstream and downstream.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GregH said:

I think "calmer" waters might be the opposite of what you want in an urban recreational waterway. People already complain about the Cumberland being kinda gross, making it more sluggish isn't going to help that. When I think of a great urban recreational river, I think of the James river in Richmond, which is actual rapids through the downtown area, but with lots of side pools and such that can be swum in, and calmer water for powerboats upstream and downstream.

I never messed with it, but I do kind of miss the James from when I was a Virginian.  The part I think you're referring to is near 14th St and upstream.  14th St is about where the City Canal ends parallel to the James and is the assumed extent inland of commercially navigable waters with a rather constrained shipping channel.

I didn't particularly care for river where it swells up wide and deep just west of the (scary) Benjamin Harrison lift bridge (Hopewell).  I lived mostly in the Hampton Roads region, where I either had to do the tunnels or get hung up on the US-17 lift bridge for container ships to and from Richmond Terminal.  But those rapids in Richmond definitely are as you described.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2021 at 10:24 PM, titanhog said:

Ok…I’m gonna ask a really weird question…and I most definitely know this is 99.9% out of the realm of possibilities…but I’ve  always wondered if there is any way to control the Cumberland River, like a lake, in the downtown area?  At the least…from like Metro Center to Shelby Bottoms…and at the most, from John C Tune to Opryland.

Are there any places on Earth where a river is controlled like a lake as it goes through a downtown area?  I realize that would most likely mean you’d need a lock and dam of sorts…but is there anything out there that’s less than a lock and dam…some other kind of river control system that would allow 24/7 calm waters downtown to encourage more recreational usage and mitigate flooding?  Keep the water higher than normal…but never too high.

Chattanooga is one example.   There are actually two dams controlling the Tennessee River as it passes through the city  (Chickamauga Dam and Nickajack Dam).    The river remains at a fairly constant (and wide) level in downtown Chattanooga.    Both dams have locks for barge traffic.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Chattanooga is one example.   There are actually two dams controlling the Tennessee River as it passes through the city  (Chickamauga Dam and Nickajack Dam).    The river remains at a fairly constant (and wide) level in downtown Chattanooga.    Both dams have locks for barge traffic.    

I was thinking something was different about the river flowing through Chattanooga.  And…it appears it allows for a “calmer” recreational usage.

18 minutes ago, markhollin said:

New promo video letting people know Nashville is opening back up:

https://www.facebook.com/nashvillemusiccity/videos/249364453552975

Like the video, but you’d think in an ad campaign highlighting new destinations they would’ve used updated footage. Fifth+Broadway and the Grand Hyatt aren’t even partially completed in the first shot of the video. 

You even see the old convention center in the shot of the Ryman <_<

• Confused 2

On 4/15/2021 at 12:28 PM, Flatrock said:

So it's settled: we turn Metrocenter into a large rice paddy/catfish farm. Seems reasonable. 

I guess some people don't know that Metrocenter was conceived in the late 1960's as a 'better' use for flood plain. I mean a huge area without buildout in the middle of Nashville needed to be put to use with a seat of the pants levee and all. How well that worked for downtown Nashville was seen in 2010.

On 4/15/2021 at 2:58 PM, PruneTracy said:

It's a little more nuanced than that. The easiest way to dispose of flood volume is to convey it out of the area. This is where dredging can help by increasing the flow capacity of the waterway

Really. Pipsqueak increase in flow volume,   infinitesimal compared to flow increase  with river  cresting.  And how far downstream would the dredging go in order to get this enhanced volume conveyance? We talking half a trillion dollar project or what?

May be of interest to give my anecdotal experience with this. First off, there are 4 government entities involved in controlling flooding in the Houston region, the two biggies are the Army Corps of Engineers and the Harris County Flood Control district,. The other two, the cities, mainly Houston, plus the state, control waters on the thoroughfares and the related pumping systems which every few years are overloaded. And what is never done is dredging. Admittedly it was done in the 30's ~ 60's by the Corps to deepen AND widen the bayous. How could this be done on a river? The only dredging is to maintain the Houston Ship Channel (the lower Buffalo Bayou on the east side) for shipping. And dredging to return sand to the beaches in Galveston County. But I saw proof of the efficacy of retention basins with the two times my house flooded. White Oak Bayou *(photo) presented 16 inches of water in my house from tropical storm Allison in 2001.  Hurricane Harvey pumped untold trillions of gallons to the region in 2017 and I received 8 inches in my house. Big difference but even bigger difference to someone I know who lives 5 miles upstream from me. She got two feet in her house from Allison and 2 inches from Harvey.   It seems reasonable to assume that a gigantic retention basin put in by Harris county made the difference. I was sad to see  the forest get ripped out from the flood plain to go deeper but that had to be the difference, The new basin is 10 miles from me and 5 miles from her.

Here's what I found on Metrocenter history:   Metrocenter: Nashville’s Little Flooding Problem | Because I Can (wordpress.com)

20210416_160508[1].jpg

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, satalac said:

Was on Car and Driver's website and noticed that Polaris has used Nashville and the Natchez Trace, with a stop at Puckett's in Leiper's Fork as their playground. Honestly been thinking about getting one of these.

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g36055509/2021-polaris-slingshot-automatic-drive-gallery/?slide=1

Thanks for sharing! Love the picture on 6th Ave under the MCC. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, satalac said:

Was on Car and Driver's website and noticed that Polaris has used Nashville and the Natchez Trace, with a stop at Puckett's in Leiper's Fork as their playground. Honestly been thinking about getting one of these.

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g36055509/2021-polaris-slingshot-automatic-drive-gallery/?slide=1

That is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing! Love the MCC tunnel shots!

• Like 2