Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

18 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I hadn't heard that, but I also doubt that's true.  The drop started before 2017; but to my point, aren't the estimates conducted by the local governments and then subject to approval by the USCB?  The methodology used (assuming there's one) is at the crux of my curiosity. 

Ehh, this was pretty much everywhere when the new numbers recently came out. Harmed Texas, Florida, and Arizona. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-census-apportionment-congress-20210426-im26ddkybjdk5maey3dqzgu3wi-story.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I'm not trying to stir the pot or create trouble but....I remember reading that this last census was something of a mass because of COVD and the past administration's attempt to undercount minorities. Could that have any affect on our numbers?

I don't think the minority numbers were affected.  They wanted to do it by way of getting a citizenship question added to the census, but I believe they were denied by the courts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I don't think the minority numbers were affected.  They wanted to do it by way of getting a citizenship question added to the census, but I believe they were denied by the courts.

Agreed! 

I've been aware of the battle over the citizenship question in this census.  I think it's interesting how some people conflate the two (immigrants and minorities). As a minority myself, I do not want non-citizens to be getting representation that would otherwise go to a state that's grown with legal immigration. I'm all for legal immigration and do think green-card and citizenship applications should be counted, but not (yet) included in the official count.  

Having said the above, I think there's probably some impact from the citizenship question on this census that might have skewed previous ones. So I won't disagree with @Nash_12Southpoint above. Thanks for the feedback. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Agreed! 

I've been aware of the battle over the citizenship question in this census.  I think it's interesting how some people conflate the two (immigrants and minorities). As a minority myself, I do not want non-citizens to be getting representation that would otherwise go to a state that's grown with legal immigration. I'm all for legal immigration and do think green-card and citizenship applications should be counted, but not (yet) included in the official count.  

Having said the above, I think there's probably some impact from the citizenship question on this census that might have skewed previous ones. So I won't disagree with @Nash_12Southpoint above. Thanks for the feedback. 

I'm just trying to understand, how could citizenship questions on the current census skew previous censuses? 

47 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Well, now that's a question for others who have alleged (not saying they're wrong) that the mere asking of the question is intimidating.  Maybe they've got the answer to your question.  

Um, OK. I don't think it's a question for anyone else considering you're the one who said that asking a certain question on the current census "skewed" results on prior censuses. To me that seems like a logical fallacy or space time continuum bending impossibility, but I'm willing and able to be wrong. But I see that we're playing games here based on what content isn't allowed on this forum. But it sucks that you can obscure political speech with purposefully vague language then try to deflect when asked directly to clarify.

How bout those Nashville Bits & Pieces? Someone is building some tall skinnies on John Mallete Dr. and Manchester Ave. in Bordeaux. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/4/2021 at 6:01 PM, Binbin98 said:

This looks like Nashville metro barely even grew at all. This really doesn’t look right to me at all.

Well, if these estimates are true, this means that Nashville grew at nearly twice the rate (19.3%) as Miami-Ft Lauderdale (10.9%).  Seems pretty fast to me.

2 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

For those who still aren't impressed with Middle Tennessee's growth

True. I'm not sure, but I think much of the disappointment was around (specifically) Davidson County's lack of a more significant increase - not the MSA. At least, that's the case for me. And some shock, given the massive number of new builds over the past decade - especially apartments and townhomes. Dunno.

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

Pure speculation on my part but, I think a there are a lot of single folk buying in Nashville, while families tend to go the the outlying counties for better schools and bigger houses. I also think a good bit of new housing is going the STR path. 

Yes.  Let's not forget that back in 2018 MNPS was shocked when its enrollment dropped by 500 when they were expecting an increase of about 1500.  Families with kids being replaced by childless couples and singles was one of the big reasons they cited.

https://patch.com/tennessee/nashville/where-did-they-go-mnps-enrollment-crashes-budget-imperiled

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Let's not forget that back in 2018 MNPS was shocked when its enrollment dropped by 500 when they were expecting an increase of about 1500. 

Yes, I'd forgotten that. And until MNPS can find a way to improve, I reckon that particular trend will continue. It makes me sad.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 11:37 AM, Nash_12South said:

I'm not trying to stir the pot or create trouble but....I remember reading that this last census was something of a mass because of COVD and the past administration's attempt to undercount minorities. Could that have any affect on our numbers?

Please I would like to see documented evidence of the last administration's "attempt to undercount minorities." How did that "attempt" play out. What would be the rationale? Or the supposed benefit? In case you're interested, here is how your state and my state and every other state with R majorities possibly were intentionally undercounted this time. It's interesting how the D states all beat their projections with the census figures and the R state failed to meet the projections. Really interesting. All of the projections were off as if they were all about politics. Here you go read on:  https://townhall.com/columnists/stephenmoore/2021/05/04/why-did-biden-census-bureau-add-25-million-more-residents-to-bluestate-population-count-n2588890?fbclid=IwAR2c5wDgPJnxSTHhp7Zz1g808U2EhTucmG2wLbH-Obb6mP7CcDancERZDK4 

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, samsonh said:

This has been covered in previous posts and the rationale by a fellow republican above. Not worth even responding to an oped by Stephen Moore.

That's the same thing EVERY liberal says about EVERYTHING any conservative has to say.  Same way that EVERYthing a liberal says, a conservative will say it’s not worth responding to ANYTHING from “so and so” from any liberal source. No wonder everything today is “fake” news.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dragonfly said:

Please I would like to see documented evidence of the last administration's "attempt to undercount minorities." How did that "attempt" play out. What would be the rationale? Or the supposed benefit? In case you're interested, here is how your state and my state and every other state with R majorities possibly were intentionally undercounted this time. It's interesting how the D states all beat their projections with the census figures and the R state failed to meet the projections. Really interesting. All of the projections were off as if they were all about politics. Here you go read on:  https://townhall.com/columnists/stephenmoore/2021/05/04/why-did-biden-census-bureau-add-25-million-more-residents-to-bluestate-population-count-n2588890?fbclid=IwAR2c5wDgPJnxSTHhp7Zz1g808U2EhTucmG2wLbH-Obb6mP7CcDancERZDK4 

Consider the source: 

"Townhall.com is the #1 conservative website. Townhall.com pulls together political commentary and analysis from over 100 leading columnists and opinion leaders, research from 100 partner organizations, conservative talk-radio and a community of millions of grassroots conservatives.

Townhall.com is designed to amplify those conservative voices in America’s political debates."

That is copy and pasted directly from the about page on the Townhall website that you linked to. Media literacy is increasingly difficult in this partisan age, but just trying goes a long way

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, henburg said:

I've always been surprised that the empty lot (#5) hasn't heard any potential development action. What a great location that would be sitting right between Second Ave, the Cumberland, and Public Square Park. 

I wonder if it’s because of historical limitations that it wouldn’t be cost effective to build what needs to be built there (to the owner of the lot)?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I wonder if it’s because of historical limitations that it wouldn’t be cost effective to build what needs to be built there (to the owner of the lot)?

I think the bigger issue is who owns the property and that is the Carell family. If the price is not right they are not  going to sell and they will not develop on their own.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think the bigger issue is who owns the property and that is the Carell family. If the price is not right they are not  going to sell and they will not develop on their own.

So, if that’s the case then it would probably have to be a huge developer with deep pockets. And the building itself would need to be something that would be a good return on investment. So a tall boy office building leased to a major corporate player? 

• Like 1