Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, satalac said:

I brought up that the shortage in 08 here was due to a RUMOR, not an actual shortage. The entire reason that we're seeing stations run out of gas right now isn't the attacks, which I'm pissed about as well, but because of the constant reporting on it driving up the panic. 

The gasoline supply chain is very tight.  I spoke with a jobber (won't name which one) several years back and he said that if everyone in the country went to the gas station to top off their tanks, the stations would run out of gasoline. At least for a day, until the trucks arrive.  So, if a bunch of people hear that there's a shortage and they run to the gas station, they will create a self-fulfilling prophecy.  At least for a day or two, when the trucks arrive to refill the stations.  Add to that the trucker shortage and some stations could stay empty longer.

Different topic: Gas stations and oil jobbers to not make any profit when gas prices are going up.  They don't want to scare the public so they shrink their profit margins or eliminate them entirely when prices rise.  However, when prices start to come down, they lower the price at the pump slowly, expand their profit margins, and make money.  When the country's gas prices rise suddenly and Congress wants to hold hearings about price gouging, they're a bunch of idiots.

Edited by Mr_Bond
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Do drawings/renderings get posted to the e-permit site, even for residential homes? Or is it just the big projects?

I was looking up a house project that I had seen the other day and there were drawings on epermits. The drawings were completely different from what was being built, which was interesting, but they were there.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 7:58 PM, Nashvillain said:

Consider the source: 

On 5/7/2021 at 4:30 PM, samsonh said:

This has been covered in previous posts and the rationale by a fellow republican above. Not worth even responding to an oped by Stephen Moore.

On 5/7/2021 at 2:46 PM, dragonfly said:

Please I would like to see documented evidence of the last administration's "attempt to undercount minorities." How did that "attempt" play out. What would be the rationale?

image.gif.050a8fd557dbed9e0b2eb3fde083cae3.gifAbsence of  documented evidence requested, plus other unanswered questions duly noted. Absence of logical or evidential refutation of the Projections versus Census Counts correlation with state voting patterns duly noted. Absence of a supposedly required logical connection between the existence of said correlation and the leanings or personality of the reporter reporting the correlation duly noted.

image.gif

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, dragonfly said:

image.gif.050a8fd557dbed9e0b2eb3fde083cae3.gifAbsence of  documented evidence requested, plus other unanswered questions duly noted. Absence of logical or evidential refutation of the Projections versus Census Counts correlation with state voting patterns duly noted. Absence of a supposedly required logical connection between the existence of said correlation and the leanings or personality of the reporter reporting the correlation duly noted.

image.gif

I will admit the surrounding areas that Nashville considers the ‘metro area’ is much much smaller than those of Charlotte or Atlanta. If the metro area included Clarksville/Montgomery Counry (which I believe it should) then it would be a little over 2.2 million, Hell if the metro didn’t get rid of Hickman county then it would be exactly 2 million in 2020. I take back my statement on the Nashville area barely growing, it just seems that way because unlike Atlanta Nashville is in no hurry to add surrounding counties to its growing metro area.

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Metro Council to vote on outbuildings ordinance for residential lots.

Metro Councilmembers will on Tuesday vote for the third time on a proposal to allow outbuildings on residential properties placed under an overlay.

Known as a detached accessory dwelling unit, an outbuilding is a secondary, typically smaller, building on the same property as a primary building. On a residential lot, an outbuilding is often referred to in the southwestern United States as a casita and in some countries as ‘granny flats.’ Property owners most commonly avail themselves of these constructs for office space, storage, studio space or additional housing — the latter a use that has become much more popular as residential real estate has risen in price in cities across the country.

A feasibility study by the Nashville Civic Design Center has informed the Metro Council ordinance that creates an overlay zone for them. The study lists the so-called DADU ordinance among several considerations for outbuilding construction, including environmental sustainability and the building design’s impact on occupant health. It proposes amendments to municipal code to make an overlay zone in which outbuildings can be constructed.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/council-to-vote-on-outbuildings-ordinance/article_5b5ac640-b744-11eb-978f-ff3086f3c618.html

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 8.10.38 AM.png

I'm glad to see Metro putting some form of thought into the gentrification of the city, but I do not really see how this will help. This overlay (which will need 30 (?) continuous parcels joining together for an overlay) does nothing to open up capital to the owners of the single family homes. I think it is a step in the right directino to allo w additional density in SFH areas, and could lead to bigger and better things.

As someone who did their entire graduate school thesis on backyard subdivisions and detached housing (and also shared some of these ideas with the NCDC and Sean Parker, policy co-sponsor over the past couple years), this only creates land speculation for the existing homes to me. It drives up the potential value of the homes, because of the potential revenue that could be a DADU behind it. I'll use this hypothetical scenario: A 30+ year resident is in a group of parcels that wants to create an overlay, they agree. They don't have the funds to build their own, but their neighbors have made a good arguement and feel like it will benefit the neighborhood. Couple years down the road, this resident has now been inadated with construction noise around their house because neighbors are buildilng DADUs yet they cant afford to themselves. Their choices are; deal with it (not very comfortable), risk borrowing money to make money (not financially an avenue for most) or sell (albiet at a higher premimum) and move out of the area (because they can't afford the area). Essentially comfort, money or displacement are the big three and really this policy doesn't solve any of them. 

Now, what if this resident was allowed to sub-divide their backyard and actually sell the property that otherwise the DADU would go on? They could renovate/add on to their home, pay off other debts, invest in their retirment/family/financial freedom or anything else that money brings to the table. Ultimately it comes back to money and the freedom it brings. If a DADU on the same property would need to comply with access and parking and all that, why is a subdivision not available?

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

The 18 foot set back unless you make a garage kinda defeats the purpose to me. So you have to build a garage that you might not even want just so you can put a single room above it? 

And with the given reason being so that there is space for parking?  That's terribly backwards thinking. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Nashville aRea Chamber of Commerce states there are about 35 companies looking to relocate to the region, some wanting as much as 200,000 sq. ft. in office space.

"We talk to two, three, four, five new companies each week," says Jeff Hite, chief economic development officer. "Over the last six to eight weeks, we've seen more [site] visits.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/05/20/outlook-williamson-ecd-panel.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=3#cxrecs_s

How close are we to what Atlanta was in the past?  20 years ago?  30 years ago?  40?

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Whew! I can speak only to a point... having grown up there. I will add more later as I don’t like the typing into my phone. Thing about ATL during the 60-80s was it was considered by the F500 companies as THE SOUTHERN office hub. In effect it raw ally was the only game in the south. As such their presence was very corporate and very understated. They even expanded rapidly during the region without a lot of fanfare but they gobbled up office space. ATL added so much office space in all the major sectors during the 1980s and into the 90s. When things seemed to be tapering off slightly in the fall of 1990 the city was awarded the Olympics... then that validated the city as a HQ  relocation destination. The first two I recall were UPS and Bass PLC (Holiday Inns). I think ppl don’t realize how much draw a single big corporate presence has .... to associated or competitor businesses. I’d love to wax on this topic when I have a legit keyboard, but suffice it to say I don’t think there any outright comparison to business relocations then vs now. Southern competitors have stepped up their games and there’s a lot more international interest in this region now. Prius I don’t think having an airline hub is nearly as important as it was just 15 years ago. More on this topic later.

I was living in Memphis when Bass bought Holiday Inn-sad day in Holiday City-definitely something Memphis did not need as it was about that time when the Nashville MSA population started growing past the Memphis MSA.

On 5/18/2021 at 1:07 PM, Bos2Nash said:

Ultimately it comes back to money and the freedom it brings.

You've got it backwards. Ultimately it comes back to freedom, and the money it brings.  If they resident's property rights had never been taken away by the government (zoning laws), then the resident would have the freedom to utilize their property in a way that benefits them the most.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1