Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Where the Nashville hotel market stands as one of the top 25 markets.  Hint a lot better than most of its competitors.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com%2F3a9823939a00705b46bd19ed9%2Fimages%2Ff258769c-07d1-db54-57b8-566d0d91c13d.png&t=1625746639&ymreqid=d07d9ac7-b224-7051-1cfd-ea00a101ac00&sig=rVilpKmldgS908Vrac2nnA--~D

""Decrease in revenue in U.S. hotel revenue per available room from May 2019 to May 2021, according to a new report from Washington, D.C.-based industry group American Hotel & Lodging Association. The study shows 21 of the top 25 U.S. hotel markets remain in a depression or recession, despite an uptick in leisure travel. Business travel is not expected to return to 2019 levels until 2023 or 2024. ""

If Florida can get lucky enough to not have a huge Covid outbreak, they’re going to pull in a lot of money the rest of this year.  Pent up demand for the beach.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

If Florida can get lucky enough to not have a huge Covid outbreak, they’re going to pull in a lot of money the rest of this year.  Pent up demand for the beach.

Must be for the beach because Orlando is down 30 percent.

My takeaway from this is that even though Nashville's RevPAR is down 37 percent, it's still one of the more profitable cities on the list at $77 per room.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Must be for the beach because Orlando is down 30 percent.

My takeaway from this is that even though Nashville's RevPAR is down 37 percent, it's still one of the more profitable cities on the list at $77 per room.  

Orlando is probably down due to capacity being lower at the Disney parks. I think they were just at 35% until beginning of May were it was increased to an undisclosed amount. 

• Like 3

Interesting. Is that a reflection of WFH?  I'm always interested not so much in the numbers themselves, but what's driving them. 

And wow! Atlanta is a completely different beast altogether. Wouldn't have guessed it's that much bigger than Charlotte. Being a native, I find it easy to forget how it dominates the region, and there are millions of s.f. under construction. Wouldn't want to be an investor in that office market right now.  I'd like to see numbers from the Florida cities to see how skewed my perception of their markets are.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 3:41 PM, KJHburg said:

Total Market Size in Millions of Square Feet

CLT 57 M  ATL 153.4 M  Nash 43.7 M RDU 48.8 M    (I will call ATL the winner since it is the biggest office market) 

Raleigh Durham has more office space than us? I thought metro Nashville was like twice the size.

58 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

If Nashville does not get a viable mass transit system very soon or one on the way, our growth could stall, just like your car will be in traffic. Austin, Atlanta, and Charlotte all have rail….while little ole Nashville is relying on a crappy bus system….and yes I will harp on this in every thread until it gets back to Cooper and Lee. Sounds like a cheap law firm.

Have you actually reached out to Mayor Cooper and Gov. Lee? Because griping about it in this forum probably won't amount to much.  Just sayin'.  

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 6:54 PM, KJHburg said:

Florida metros are not big office markets as Charlotte is bigger than Miami Dade for example.

That is definitely not true!  Miami is huge with a metro population of over 6 million people which is over twice as big as metro Charlotte!  Miami and Atlanta are the two biggest metro areas in the South (excluding Texas).

53 minutes ago, MontanaGuy said:

That is definitely not true!  Miami is huge with a metro population of over 6 million people which is over twice as big as metro Charlotte!  Miami and Atlanta are the two biggest metro areas in the South (excluding Texas).

I think he meant the office market is bigger…not the population.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Not exactly a full picture of the metro areas in this graph (downtown only), but it shows the vast differences in the allocation of office space to the rest of the commercial real estate. This shows the relative dominance of office in certain markets. Miami is not included in this graph, but I'd guess it would be toward the low end, as it's dominated by hotels, commercial and residential space.  I'd imagine Atlanta is somewhere in the middle of the pack (at around 40%) as so much office exists in Midtown-Bhead/GA400/Perimieter/Smyrna etc.  This does remind me that Nashville went for nearly 30 years when any new office of any significant size was built in the Cool Springs (Franklin) area.  As Smeags said above, the office downtown (how will they define the East Bank?) is about to register a huge bump in capacity (IIRC 3 million s.f. downtown and 1.5 million s.f. in midtown and .750 million in Williamson). 

Courtesy of NY Times via Bizjournals.com

downtown-business-districts-2-1*750xx.jpg

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/12053816/downtown-business-districts-2-1*750xx.jpg

When was the 30 year office drought period?