Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

On 7/20/2021 at 6:40 PM, henburg said:

I agree that rail isn't  a requirement for population growth, Nashville itself is pretty strong proof of that. That said, rail or transit in general are key components to pretty much any efficient urban area and I have to think that's the original poster meant in their comment. Your examples of LA and Houston also happen to be two of the most sprawling, disorganized cities in the world and far from anything that I'd want Nashville to emulate as it grows.

To be clear, I don't say that to belittle those two cities, they are world-class places with great culture. They both just also happen to share horrible traffic, environmental concerns, and lack of true urban identities that can be associated with things like the lack of a comprehensive transit alternative outside of a personal car.

What the heck does that mean, "disorganised"? OK you don't like the way Houston looks, big deal - we have the largest tree planting culture here of any city, forests planted by the state are maturing along much of the freeway system here, not so anywhere in CA. Not to mention the city expanding or promptly replacing lost live oaks lining a plethora of city thorougfares. And disorganised? You know, it turns out that what humans do worldwide is organise, believe it or not. It goes by the name of the modern industrial economy. And who cares that there are supposedly cities that one thinks Nashville should "emulate" whatever that means. I would say that 3 rail lines, dedicated bus transitways (first one just opened bisecting the West Loop and connecting with the just rebuilt NW transit center, link below) and bus lines going  out to satellite transit centers over HOV lanes w/barriers does the trick. I've dropped my vehicles off at two different dealers way out (20+ miles) and biked over to a transit center bringing a bus to take me to the NW one a couple of miles from my neighborhood. The scale of transit planning here is executed at a level you guys could never grasp without living here. For example the Beltway 8 planning began with the county buying up the land for it when it was farms back in the '50's, and it opened as a tollway in '89. There are 4 county owned tollways here between 2 counties and 1 state owned one - the recently opened Grand Parkway (99 tollway). Between the state and county management of highway expansion, I saw about 15 years ago that one of the highway construction trade magazines designated Houston as a benchmark example of highway construction and operation management. Take a look at a map zoomed out. For a metro 3-1/2+ times the size of Nashville, we have a freeway and tollway system here probably 6x the extent and complexity. "Horrible traffic"? People just don't complain around here about traffic like they do in Austin about the ungodly IH 35 bottleneck downtown, or in Nashville about the Green Hills awful bottleneck. What they complain about is the closing of streets to upgrade utilities -- because of the city going vertical at a rate like no other in the country.

video: https://abc13.com/metro-new-northwest-transit-center-shuttle-service-major-hub/8435926/

photo looking NW outbound US 290, keep in mind there are about 3 dozen transit centers generally looking like this, themed as Park 'n Ride, although with enclosed bike racks it is more like Ride 'n Ride: https://www.masstransitmag.com/technology/facilities/article/21213268/houston-metro-transforms-aging-transit-hub-into-flagship-facility

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 3

I was living down there when Beltway 8 opened. If the toll roads are run no better than the toll roads in NJ then we do not need them. I got a bill in the mail for $33.00 for a $3.00 toll I stopped and paid, but the 3rd party camera system said I didn't stop and pay. You don' really keep a toll receipt 3 weeks after the fact when traveling through a state when you are not use to tolls. I had no recourse other than pay the filthy lowlifes, so I really think Bridgegate happened and this is a way they bilk out of state drivers. They probably have those cameras programed to pick up on certain out of state tags knowing those folks will not keep receipt's.

I would almost give my left ear if the state legislature even started debating a toll road here to address some of the traffic concerns. They passed legislation to allow toll roads but as far as getting them done, never going to happen under the current legislative environment. The current group of lawmakers have forgotten what it means to be lawmakers regardless of party, and this is not just here but nationwide as they all have their own party agenda and name calling with nothing being done to help the average citizen any longer. They only pass laws to help those who get them elected and try to hurt those who think differently regardless if it hurts their state. So with that being said, I am afraid nothing will get done for some time here as far as traffic congestion except build bigger roads as that is all these small minded folks in charge can simply understand. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dragonfly said:

What the heck does that mean, "disorganised"? OK you don't like the way Houston looks, big deal - we have the largest tree planting culture here of any city, forests planted by the state are maturing along much of the freeway system here, not so anywhere in CA. Not to mention the city expanding or promptly replacing lost live oaks lining a plethora of city thorougfares. And disorganised? You know, it turns out that what humans do worldwide is organise, believe it or not. It goes by the name of the modern industrial economy. And who cares that there are supposedly cities that one thinks Nashville should "emulate" whatever that means. I would say that 3 rail lines, dedicated bus transitways (first one just opened bisecting the West Loop and connecting with the just rebuilt NW transit center, link below) and bus lines going  out to satellite transit centers over HOV lanes w/barriers does the trick. I've dropped my vehicles off at two different dealers way out (20+ miles) and biked over to a transit center bringing a bus to take me to the NW one a couple of miles from my neighborhood. The scale of transit planning here is executed at a level you guys could never grasp without living here. For example the Beltway 8 planning began with the county buying up the land for it when it was farms back in the '50's, and it opened as a tollway in '89. There are 4 county owned tollways here between 2 counties and 1 state owned one - the recently opened Grand Parkway (99 tollway). Between the state and county management of highway expansion, I saw about 15 years ago that one of the highway construction trade magazines designated Houston as a benchmark example of highway construction and operation management. Take a look at a map zoomed out. For a metro 3-1/2+ times the size of Nashville, we have a freeway and tollway system here probably 6x the extent and complexity. "Horrible traffic"? People just don't complain around here about traffic like they do in Austin about the ungodly IH 35 bottleneck downtown, or in Nashville about the Green Hills awful bottleneck. What they complain about is the closing of streets to upgrade utilities -- because of the city going vertical at a rate like no other in the country.

video: https://abc13.com/metro-new-northwest-transit-center-shuttle-service-major-hub/8435926/

photo looking NW outbound US 290, keep in mind there are about 3 dozen transit centers generally looking like this, themed as Park 'n Ride, although with enclosed bike racks it is more like Ride 'n Ride: https://www.masstransitmag.com/technology/facilities/article/21213268/houston-metro-transforms-aging-transit-hub-into-flagship-facility

Again, my labeling of urban Houston as "disorganized" is not meant to be mean or derogatory in anyway. I'm not denying that Houston is one of the most rapidly growing cities in the world or that it is a very nice place to live, I'm simply referring to their urban make-up, which is undeniably disorganized. The city has leaned much more heavily on expanding highways than developing other methods of getting around, and I think that is part of the reason why the city looks the way that it does.

urban-sprawl-bridge-overpasses-high-aerihouston-sprawl-affordability.jpg?auto=co

The Houston skyline is deceiving in comparison to its size because it has been stretched very thin and is not centralized.

And very few other places around the world can say that they offer so many juxtapositions like this...

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Weirdest-images-from-Houston-s-lack-of-zoning-laws-9171688.php#photo-10774164

1200x0.jpg

ratio3x2_1200.jpg

Of course that article offers a funnier angle on the subject, but it still illustrates my point.

• Like 4

On 7/24/2021 at 1:30 AM, dragonfly said:

I mean... Houston literally has no zoning laws, so I'm not really sure how you can be surprised that one critique of it is that it is "disorganized."  

Interesting article I found as mass timber is being pushed more and more. I have serious concerns about depleting our forests as mass timber is promoted more and more. The article mentions that the CO2 supposedly saved in mass timber buildings don't account for the carbon emitted during the logging process, timber mills, and trucking. I for one would prefer to preserve forests as best as possible and advance carbon capture technology to store carbon emitted from steel and concrete. 

https://e360.yale.edu/features/as-mass-timber-takes-off-how-green-is-this-new-building-material

Some interesting quotes from the article:

Such industrial-type forestry — large-scale plantings of trees selected to grow fast — creates a “biological desert,” said Talberth, of the Center for Sustainable Economy. “And it’s driving the extinction of thousands of species. Mass timber is mass extinction.”

“We must ensure that mass timber drives sustainable forestry management, otherwise all of these benefits are lost,” 

“We looked at long- and short-term products, what mills burn for heat, fuel burned for harvesting, transporting from forest to mills to end use, and emissions along the way,” she said. Another major issue is how long the wood will be in use, which is not yet known. In addition, Law said, any analysis of CO2 must account for how much the forest is taking up before and after logging, “and a lot of people don’t pay attention to that part of it. We just don’t have the information to run this through a life cycle assessment.”

• Like 1

MDHA picks new leader, Troy White, who has director of housing authorities at Atlanta business advisory firm Aprio. The hiring still requires final approval from the agency's seven-member board of commissioners.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2021/07/26/nashville-affordable-housing-agency-new-director-troy-white-atlanta-veteran/8092340002/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

MDHA picks new leader, Troy White, who has director of housing authorities at Atlanta business advisory firm Aprio. The hiring still requires final approval from the agency's seven-member board of commissioners.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2021/07/26/nashville-affordable-housing-agency-new-director-troy-white-atlanta-veteran/8092340002/

Glad the TN finally got the news release from last week. 

• Haha 1

DraftKings announced a partnership with dining and entertainment concept Sports & Social — an agreement that could bring Sports & Social/DraftKings sports bars to Nashville. 

The plan is to bring its sports gaming products "to life by offering engaging, interactive fan-first destinations" to its customers in Nashville and Detroit, Chief Business Officer Ezra Kucharz said in a news release. 

Gambling kiosks and tellers would be notably absent from any Nashville locations. Brick-and-mortar gambling venues are prohibited in Tennessee, the only state to allow sports gaming solely on online platforms. Patrons of Sports & Social/DraftKings sports bars in Nashville would only be able to place wagers online using personal mobile devices.

The concept has not yet been approved by the Tennessee Education Lottery Corporation, the state's sports gaming regulator. The specific locations of Sports & Social/DraftKings venues have yet to be announced.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2021/07/29/draftkings-announces-sports-bar-partnership-may-come-nashville/5409205001/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1