Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I would use google to start your search as to each element you are looking for. I do not think you will find it neatly wrapped up in a box. You need to figure out what peer cities you want to look at as well.

The cost of living for each year should be easy enough to find, however you may have to do the math yourself as you will probably find the cost of living for each year and then see what the increase is. I think that there may be several sources for that and I am not sure if bureau of labor and stats handles that or someone else.

UTGrad or one of these other fellows knows the best place for accurate stats as some of the stats some groups gather are off. You have to make sure if you gather the stats for one city from one source it is the same source for every city.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, subkyle said:

Does anyone know where I can find cost of living information for Nashville and also how it compares to other cities? I’m curious how much our cost of living has increased since 2017. It would also be cool to see how we stack up against our peer cities. Ive looked for this information and can’t seem to find any good intel.

A quick search will reveal lots of 'cost of living comparison between cities' websites.  There may be some differences in results but, for the most part, the comparisons are similar.  If I were making a career and moving decision, I would want to get into the details of the comparison based on where I may be living in the new city.  For example, it would be helpful to know the cost of living in Franklin plus commuting to downtown versus the cost of living in downtown Nashville.

I'm not sure where to find a year over year comparison of COL in Nashville but would suspect that it is out there somewhere.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, AsianintheNations said:

The Washington Post has a new interactive map showing urban sprawl since 2001: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2021/land-development-urban-growth-maps/. Their poster children are of course Houston and Phoenix. The Nashville metro area map is below: gray = developed land in 2001; purple = new development since 2001. Nice visualization of what we mostly already knew in terms of the areas adding newly developed land (mostly single family homes) and driving a lot of the population growth. Sadly, there isn't a counterpart for re-developed land showing where the city has grown up instead of out (fortunately we have the legendary development map here for that).

image.thumb.png.f4a1e7e9003e72fbcd052420572d4db5.png

The original source of the data is the U.S. Geological Survey: https://www.usgs.gov/news/new-land-cover-maps-capture-nearly-two-decades-change-across-us?

Just have to develop around 840 between Lebanon and Murfreesboro and that will be a seriously large area that will scream for even more transit than we already are!

And no, I would not call for the northern portion of 840, just no.

• Like 1

That's coming. It's Nolensville, and it's about to explode with even more growth. It's doubled in population over the last decade, and all indications are it will more than double in the '20s.  Will have 20,000 by 2030, not to mention the growth coming to the unincorporated areas of both counties. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

The Washington Post has a new interactive map showing urban sprawl since 2001: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2021/land-development-urban-growth-maps/. Their poster children are of course Houston and Phoenix. The Nashville metro area map is below: gray = developed land in 2001; purple = new development since 2001. Nice visualization of what we mostly already knew in terms of the areas adding newly developed land (mostly single family homes) and driving a lot of the population growth. Sadly, there isn't a counterpart for re-developed land showing where the city has grown up instead of out (fortunately we have the legendary development map here for that).

image.thumb.png.f4a1e7e9003e72fbcd052420572d4db5.png

The original source of the data is the U.S. Geological Survey: https://www.usgs.gov/news/new-land-cover-maps-capture-nearly-two-decades-change-across-us?

All that development on the outside of Hendersonville really showing how the extension of the Bypass (Vietnam Vets) out to Gallatin really induced demand.

Neely's Bend continues to floor me in its capacity to stay undeveloped.

I expect the next 20 years' map to fill out over half of the undeveloped land inside 840 between Franklin and Murfressboro.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

Looks like West Tennessee had the most population loss-checking the Census site Shelby County just added 2100 people in 10 years.

6 minutes ago, AsianintheNations said:

716k for Davidson County is a big jump from the ACS yearly estimates (694k in 2019, 691k in 2018). I'm not surprised - I had a feeling that the estimates were struggling to keep up with all the new development (particularly newly created addresses in older neighborhoods, e.g. my house, as I alluded to in an earlier post).

On the other hand, Shelby County at 930k is lower than the 2019 estimate of 937k by a decent amount.

That's just terrible but not surprising.  Memphis has THE WORST leadership in the country, from city to county to "chicken" man in the US House. Awful! Even their corporate leadership is lacking. Their Fortune 500 companies are bent on keeping their HQs in the suburbs. Of course, it's probably a chicken-egg situation. A few years ago the chamber of commerce president was murdered in a random robbery downtown.  They're trying, but it takes a leader. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Memphis in my mind has an identity problem. Other than Bourbon Street, there’s the Fed Ex Cup, the huge Bass Pro shop, and…. one of my good friends is from there, haha.  

I’m not sure what else goes on there. 

2 hours ago, andywildman said:

Neely's Bend continues to floor me in its capacity to stay undeveloped.

Isn’t the bend all owned by a few people. So lots of large tracts?

• Like 1