Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

37 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Let's not act like it’s some all-out war between the state and Nashville.  Yes…both sides need to come together in many instances, but Nashville’s metro is still deeply red and thriving because the city and the state have actually done a pretty good job of working together over the years.  As far as Democrats and Republicans working together…we do it better than a lot of states and cities elsewhere.

I think what you will see over the next ten years is the metro become more purple, and Davidson will be one even more blue. The frustration many of us in Nashville feel is a lack of support(or downright sabotage in some cases) from a state government that relies on our tax dollars to help the rural areas. It’s the same type of frustration blue states feel towards subsidizing the red states. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, samsonh said:

I think what you will see over the next ten years is the metro become more purple, and Davidson will be one even more blue. The frustration many of us in Nashville feel is a lack of support(or downright sabotage in some cases) from a state government that relies on our tax dollars to help the rural areas. It’s the same type of frustration blue states feel towards subsidizing the red states. 

It’s the same everywhere.  Cities always believe they are shortchanged by the states.  I also notice how Democrats always believe they are footing the bill for everyone.  Yeah…us conservatives don’t pay any taxes at all…even though Nashville’s metro is considerably red and will stay that way…no matter how much you believe it will turn purple.  It’s the same thing I’ve heard my entire life, growing up as a Democrat in the Democrat south.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, titanhog said:

It’s the same everywhere.  Cities always believe they are shortchanged by the states.  I also notice how Democrats always believe they are footing the bill for everyone.  Yeah…us conservatives don’t pay any taxes at all…even though Nashville’s metro is considerably red and will stay that way…no matter how much you believe it will turn purple.  It’s the same thing I’ve heard my entire life, growing up as a Democrat in the Democrat south.

Not sure why you took that post personal. No one said you don’t pay taxes, but the stats are the stats, and we have all seen them. The more educated people this region draws the bluer it will get. And we can see nationwide that rural areas are shrinking slowly, while big blue metros are growing. Tennessee will follow North Carolina, which is following Virginia. Politics is always changing.

• Like 1

I just give up. It seems everyone wants to read what they want to read . That’s the problem now, no one wants to listen, everyone gets mad and walks away .That will keep everyone divided even more. The shields are up, the gauntlets are down and everyone sees everything as a war and takes sides. Just talk it out instead of getting mad and walking away.

I just don’t see it that way. I see a lot of blooming nuts on both sides in leadership prodding the herds into their stinking way of thinking keeping the masses from thinking for themselves. Everyone is being programmed red or blue. I see red I like, I see blue I like and then I see things that neither party wants to tackle.

I figured I better edit my last part out as I flamed all politicians 

• Like 3

On 8/16/2021 at 9:28 PM, samsonh said:

I think what you will see over the next ten years is the metro become more purple, and Davidson will be one even more blue. 

Let's hope not. The track record of places where that happens speaks for itself. Pure D incompetence. The region will really become a dump. San Francisco style.

Edited by Licec
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, samsonh said:

Not sure why you took that post personal. No one said you don’t pay taxes, but the stats are the stats, and we have all seen them. The more educated people this region draws the bluer it will get. And we can see nationwide that rural areas are shrinking slowly, while big blue metros are growing. Tennessee will follow North Carolina, which is following Virginia. Politics is always changing.

And Virginia is an absolute catastrophe and they are deservedly reaping what they have sown. They are showing up at town halls protesting the dumb people who are running things but it's too late. They are f'd.

Edited by Licec
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, natethegreat said:

Why are there so many homeless people downtown? Thinking of Church Street in particular.

Part of the reason for homeless folks congregating on Church Street is the library. It’s a place for them to get out of the heat (or cold), use the restrooms, use the computers, or read.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 11:13 PM, BnaBreaker said:

I believe he was just referring to the disparity between the states as a whole that pay more taxes than they get back, and other states that trend in the other direction.  

Isn't that basically one of the fundamental stances most conservatives would take? That they pay more taxes, but don't receive an additional benefit from it.