Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

On 8/16/2021 at 10:41 PM, smeagolsfree said:

I just give up. It seems everyone wants to read what they want to read . That’s the problem now, no one wants to listen, everyone gets mad and walks away .That will keep everyone divided even more.

I think one of the issues is that neither side has any humility. If we engage with someone that has different l views it is just to call them names, shout, etc. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

I think one of the issues is that neither side has any humility. If we engage with someone that has different l views it is just to call them names, shout, etc. 

exactly, it’s come down to the majority of people have put themselves on one side of the line or the other. There seems to be no common ground , the tread that holds society together has come apart and no one seems to care about the other person. We all need to get a grip , to make a change, to let things go and have a open mind. We the people are our own worst enemy, we will destroy our country and the World around us, if we don’t wake up from this nightmare that we have fallen into. Respect and listen to each other, take everyone for the human being that they are regardless of who they are , what they believe in, what religious believes or political side they follow. For as I stated before , diversity is what makes us a strong and prosperous nation. Just like here on this forum, we all come from different places, different ideas, different options and somehow we come together for a common ground. It’s the same with life in general, just take the time to talk and listen to each other. We can make a better tomorrow... together 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's interesting. The conservative areas of the county are known for slow or negative growth, and are derided as 'fly over country'.

And the lefty strongholds, like NY, NJ, IL, and CA, with their strong progressive policies, are now charging forward into collapse with unsustainable public union pensions, onerous red-tape restrictions on job producers, and the highest tax rates in the nation. Leading to massive migration from those states to .... you guessed it... the highly despised conservative areas of the country like AZ, TX, TN, and FL.   Nashville has great examples of this with Nissan HQ from Los Angeles and Alliance Bernstein from NYC.

If progressive policies are so great, why don't those relocations happen from one blue state to another?  Odd huh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rolly said:

It's interesting. The conservative areas of the county are known for slow or negative growth, and are derided as 'fly over country'.

And the lefty strongholds, like NY, NJ, IL, and CA, with their strong progressive policies, are now charging forward into collapse with unsustainable public union pensions, onerous red-tape restrictions on job producers, and the highest tax rates in the nation. Leading to massive migration from those states to .... you guessed it... the highly despised conservative areas of the country like AZ, TX, TN, and FL.   Nashville has great examples of this with Nissan HQ from Los Angeles and Alliance Bernstein from NYC.

If progressive policies are so great, why don't those relocations happen from one blue state to another?  Odd huh.

Let's take the Nissan and Alliance examples and have you remind us how much the red paid in tax incentives to have those relocations occur. Also, remind us the articles where the statement was made by execs that progressive policy was the reason for the move?

• Like 2

New wave COVID-19 cease in USA. 
C9AE8C2B-B296-4951-9061-AA4649DECFBC.jpeg.b2152ef4cbc9a936d492f437808c2799.jpeg
The @garthbrooks Stadium Tour's next five shows have been cancelled (including Nissan Stadium). Ticket holders will receive a full refund and should contact their point of purchase for refund information. The tour and Nissan Stadium are looking to identify a makeup date in 2022.
Other concert locations that were canceled include Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore and Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts.

Oh No GIF by The Maury Show

Edited by Sean blackdog
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dmillsphoto said:

Let's take the Nissan and Alliance examples and have you remind us how much the red paid in tax incentives to have those relocations occur. Also, remind us the articles where the statement was made by execs that progressive policy was the reason for the move?

There are a lot of instances where CEOs have stated that it's too expensive (IE state income tax, employee tax, and other taxes some label as "progressive taxes") to remain in such state. 

I agree with you that if Texas, TN, FL didn't offer the tax incentives, less of these relocations would occur. 

• Like 1

California is probably the nicest state in union. Was conservative 'the land of Reagan' until a few decades ago and had a small crime rate. But that's all changed.

image.png.838dcfdf8e71225c1cc5d1c561e89f4c.png

But now its losing companies and population.   And California policies have led it to the highest poverty levels in the country.

And right behind it is progressive bulwarks IL, NY and NJ. 

And the frustrating thing is they flee to states which have more social and business freedoms, yet vote in the same policies (higher taxes, 'green everything', smothering business controls, etc).  Just repeating the self-defeating process.

Edited by rolly
fixed url
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, markhollin said:

The 10 states with the worst poverty rates are Mississippi, Louisiana, New Mexico, West Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas, Alabama, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Georgia.  8 of them are red.  

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/poverty-rate-by-state

The 10 states with the highest growth rates since 2010 are:

Utah                        +18.4%
Idaho                      +17.3%
Texas                      +15.9%
North Dakota   +15.8%
Nevada                 +15.0%
Colorado               +14.8%
Washington        +14.6%
Florida                   +14.6%
Dist. of Colum.  +14.6%
Arizona                  +11.9%

5 of those are red. 

https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/decennial/2020/data/apportionment/apportionment-2020-map03.png

Mark,

Understood. Red states like WV and MS are among the worst off, but really no one from the right is making them out to be examples of great planning. And they are relatively inconsequential states.

Unlike CA, IL, and NY, which are top 5 states and centers of power (LA/SF, Chicago, NY). The fact policies there have got so bad that they are driving away companies and population is more of my point.

Certainly we can find stats to fit a certain narrative. It is interesting to crunch the numbers tho.   Moving on...

• Like 1

This is a site that tracks new development, and so it's not surprising that business growth and population growth are cited over and over (and over). I would suggest that, while those are important (and I celebrate the growth too), they're not the only things that matter. When trying to assess the overall condition of a city, state or region, the many health and welfare stats are just as important to consider. Things like rates of abortion, teen pregnancy, obesity, infant mortality, automotive and workplace fatalities, divorce, violent and nonviolent crime, as well as overall education level and life expectancy. Using these metrics red states, with some exceptions (Utah comes to mind), don't look so good overall. You can adopt a low-tax, low-service model and probably succeed in luring some business activity and population from other states, but it comes at a human cost.

There's also the question of whose taxes are low and whose are not. If you're in the lower 60% of of the population income-wise, your taxes will likely be lower in California than Texas. Those 60% are not flocking to Texas for low taxes.

I don't have data at hand (and don't know if it exists) but I suspect other factors besides taxes play a role in causing people and businesses to move.  Many people hate long, cold winters and southern states are probably still benefiting from the invention of air conditioning a century ago. I've often wondered whether comparing interstate migration with climate would achieve a better fit than with tax rates. Another factor driving people away from California especially, but also parts of the Northeast, are regulatory barriers to new construction – some statewide like environmental regs but also local zoning backed by incumbent middle-aged and older property owners with an attachment to communities full of detached, single-family homes. You can get a whole lot more house in Texas than California, but my guess is that's mostly due to density-killing local zoning.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, billgregg said:

I don't have data at hand (and don't know if it exists) but I suspect other factors besides taxes play a role in causing people and businesses to move.  Many people hate long, cold winters and southern states are probably still benefiting from the invention of air conditioning a century ago. I've often wondered whether comparing interstate migration with climate would achieve a better fit than with tax rates. 

Well said.  I've talked to several wealthier people who moved to Tennessee from Illinois and, to a person, they said there were two main reasons: they got a big pay raise because their taxes are much lower here, and they like this weather much better.  A third reason has been created because the migration has been happening for awhile: they have family in the area.

• Like 3