Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

On 8/19/2021 at 7:38 PM, billgregg said:

The figures come from an appendix ("Total State and Local Taxes as a Share of Family Income") in a  downloadable ITEP report (PDF). Go to Appendix A on pages 26 and 27: https://itep.sfo2.digitaloceanspaces.com/whopays-ITEP-2018.pdf. In the attached screenshot I cut out all but the relevant states, but left Tennessee in for comparison.

They also break down each state's tax burden by tax type and income level in an interesting section starting on page 31. The difference is that Texas's sales tax is higher and California has a negative income tax for its poorest residents.

State Tax Burdens.png

Looking at the total tax burden, including sales tax, is a great way to understand what's happening here with the state-to-state migrations.  

I will add some economic reality to the numbers we see here.  When an economic downturn arrives, states that place a larger burden on the higher income earners are in deep trouble.  The income of the top 20% is much more subject to economic conditions because they are often business owners whose profits shrink during a recession.  States like California, Illinois and New York cannot keep a balanced budget during a downturn.

You may suggest that they borrow during the downturn and then pay it back when the economy recovers but that proposal has a few problems.  First, politicians who borrow money during a recession to maintain social programs and pensions for their constituents seem incapable of using increasing revenue during a recovery to pay off the debt.  As the economy recovers, they see the increase in state revenue as another opportunity to distribute goodies to their constituents.  Over the decades, they borrow but do not pay back.

Second, and this reason is partially related to the first, states with large deficits during a recession are seen as riskier by the investors who would loan them money.  Their income streams are more volatile and, therefore, less appealing to the lender that wants a steady stream of debt repayments.  The reason I say that reason two is related to reason one is that a state led by the politicians described in reason one create and expand benefits that must be distributed every year, even during recessions.  So the expanded benefits of reason one create a deeper deficit during a recession.

These economic realities apply to all of us - states, counties, cities, families, individuals, nonprofits - regardless of political persuasion.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

An article from the NBJ from one of their national writers and the main takeaway is the graph below and Nashville is no in the projected multi housing unit top 20 delivery leaders for 2021 which means we are not keeping up with demand and there is a lot of room to grow in our market.

There could be other meanings to this as well and speculation could be plentiful as to why we are not on the list, but if we are gaining population and the housing units are not being built, then there is a huge shortfall especially when we are still creating a lot of tech sector jobs.

I expect there will be a flurry of more Multi-housing announcements to come and the pace will have to pick up in order to keep up with demand.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/08/23/apartment-construction-yardi-matrix-alliance.html

0A203CBA-0C29-418B-8B17-9F3166CFDF49.png

Hmmmmm...whomever did their research on this was WAY off when it comes to Nashville.

Utilizing your development map, I found these numbers:

Multi-family residential projects just in Davidson County that have either already opened this year, or will by year's end will total 15,177 units in 120 developments.

For 2022 that total in Davidson County alone will be around 21,845 in 144 developments.

For 2023 that total in Davidson County alone will be 21,724 in 77 developments (and, of course, many will be announced soon that will swell these numbers even further).

When it comes to individual single family homes and single family home subdivisions, the numbers have to be well in the thousands in Davidson County this year alone, and substantially more in surrounding counties. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Mark, that's the first thing I was wondering when I saw the numbers given for cities in the list.  I think a lot of those publications have not shown much credibility in their rankings. I always look at their methodologies first, then determine whether they're trustworthy. Looking at the wide difference between first and second... and the rest is the first alarm in my mind. DFW is on fire (no doubt), but I can't see it being that far ahead of everyone else. Those who pay attention to my rants here know I'm a stickler to research on permits and a few other data points. I didn't see that in the footnotes for this list. That said, I'm suspicious about the numbers given in this list too. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

The income of the top 20% is much more subject to economic conditions because they are often business owners whose profits shrink during a recession.  

Would you mind sharing your source for this info? Seems like most of the data I've seen indicates that young people and more economically vulnerable populations are the ones that get hit hardest during economic downturns. 

Also, just to make sure we're on the same page, am I correct that the threshold to enter the top 20% of income earners is only about $130k per household currently? Also, it's my understanding that only the top 10% most successful business owners are able to pull out that much  (~$130k) from their business in a given year, but correct me if I'm wrong of course. 

Assuming those figures are in the ballpark, I'm curious at what income level do you think taxes should be raised in order to fund social services during a downturn? Or do you think cutting social services during economic downturns is the better way to balance the budget since the business owners are bearing more of the direct burden from the downturn itself?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Urbanman said:

Long time follower, first time poster.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone have a map of Nashville’s city limits before consolidation?

2. What would the city’s population and density be today within those limits?

Good question that I can't answer. I'm sure one of our historians can provide a lot of insight.  I believe the old city limits approximate the Urban Services District of the Metro Nashville government map. It has been expanded since 1960 but I don't know where/how (lots of growth to the south). I think one approach you can take is to start with county-wide population in 1960 which was 400,000 (pre Metro "consolidation").  Metro was passed in 1962 and went into effect in 1963, which triggerd a lot of urban flight. FYI: the amount of Nashville citizens in Davidson Co. then was about 56%).  The population has increased "only" about 300K since then or about 75%. I don't think most of that growth occurred in the older limits of the city.  Given that the bulk of the growth in the county occurred outside the old city limits, I'd say less than 20% (guess) of the population would be in the old city limits (at least till 2010).  I think people are still trying to grapple with where the growth since 2010 has occurred.  So tossing this out there... I'd say the population in the old city limits would be around 60-80,000 over the 1960 population of 170,000. So swagging it, I'd guess about 240,000-250,000.  

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Hmmmmm...whomever did their research on this was WAY off when it comes to Nashville.

Utilizing your development map, I found these numbers:

Multi-family residential projects just in Davidson County that have either already opened this year, or will by year's end will total 15,177 units in 120 developments.

For 2022 that total in Davidson County alone will be around 21,845 in 144 developments.

For 2023 that total in Davidson County alone will be 21,724 in 77 developments (and, of course, many will be announced soon that will swell these numbers even further).

When it comes to individual single family homes and single family home subdivisions, the numbers have to be well in the thousands in Davidson County this year alone, and substantially more in surrounding counties. 

These are 2021 completions.

5 hours ago, Urbanman said:

1. Does anyone have a map of Nashville’s city limits before consolidation?

A 1950 Jersey Farms-branded map "compiled and drawn by city and county planning commissions". Doesn't show the annexations in the last four or five years before consolidation, but does have a lot of detail (and these city limits were unchanged for several decades): https://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p15138coll23/id/10093/rec/30

I haven't found a good online map of the city from the period 1958 to 1963.

Edited by billgregg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2021 at 9:28 PM, samsonh said:

It’s the same type of frustration blue states feel towards subsidizing the red states. 

I think I've said it on here but I'm going to say it again. This debate about what is in the above quote is a phony one for one major reason: Reserve currency status of the U.S. dollar. This is missed by most of the elitist politicians and pundits that are addicted to their reasons for looking down on their cultural inferiors and just love to group said inferiors into a selection of ridiculed states. Well here is one of those inferiors pointing out the standard elite ignorance: most economists put the value of reserve currency status at $1.2 trillion ~ $1.5 trillion*. Guess what - if it weren't for the prominence/prestige of the U.S. military (currently threatened from within) and its operational maintainence of safety on the high seas, the dollar would not be the world reserve currency. The same thing accompanied the rise of the British empire when the pound sterling enjoyed that status and is now a sort of junior reserve currency to ours, making London the financial capital that it is. So if you don't' mind a little bit of logic, this says that The DOD, funded by $760 billion per year, is an astounding profit machine for the U.S. economy. The state of Texas with numerous large military bases and defense contractors is typically ridiculed by the elite on their lists of states on the dole but the joke is on them, they think that all of the cost of the military spending in Texas is just welfare, when that spending may be returning as much as 200% of its cost back to our economy. I mean really where do you think the conventional simplistic analysis on this originates other than bIgotry? Mature people should grow out of simplistic views of the world. Or you would think. I would prefer not to bring this up again, but if I see the fallacy repeated, I'm going to link to this post.

* Reserve currency status confers a built-in demand for U.S. dollars, coupled to the world population growth. Which helps to allow a seemingly endless expansion of the money supply by the Fed to cover endless deficit spending on our real welfare state programs.

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 2