Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Oh no sarcasm. Thought it was some acronym for some new thing I missed.

I like that, anything that makes interstate junctions more compact gets my vote. They take up SO MUCH SPACE in our city and it drives me crazy.

2 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I know Brett was against a roundabout at Main and Gallatin but that was a perfect location for a large roundabout!

Why, did he give any reason?? That would be great there.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I like that, anything that makes interstate junctions more compact gets my vote. They take up SO MUCH SPACE in our city and it drives me crazy.

Why, did he give any reason?? That would be great there.

I don’t recall what it was. I just remember him talking about it. I do know they would have had to take part of the grassy area in front of East HS as part of the roundabout.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I don’t recall what it was. I just remember him talking about it. I do know they would have had to take part of the grassy area in front of East HS as part of the roundabout.

I was trying to figure out where at Main/Gallatin you were referring to for a roundabout. I would agree with Brett as I don't think that would be an appropriate spot for one. while the intersection is definitely funky, I think banning left turns from the southbound lane (or putting a dedicated turn signal) may solve the biggest issues.

The intersection of Shelby Ave and S 10th St could be an interesting install for one though. fair amount of open land and the bend in Shelby Ave can make for some interesting turning situations. 

47 minutes ago, Nashvillain said:

^ I don't think there was sarcasm, I didn't have any idea what DDI is either. Thanks!

47 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Well happy to help then :tw_glasses:.

I agree that the interchanges take up waaaayyyy too much space. I think we have talked about those exhaustively over on the Transportation thread haha.

• Like 3

@ruraljuror, I've consolidated my responses here without copying your two quotes.

Over the years I've often wanted to dive deep into the topic of state revenue streams but have never had the time.  I hope someone is looking at this, other than the politicians.  Here is just one example of a tax scheme that doesn't work well: if all road maintenance is paid by gasoline taxes, how do we get electric vehicles to pay their portion?

About the sources and percentages, I wouldn't want to put myself in the prison of two ideas, where it's either all of one or all of another.  A broader tax base is more sustainable and, potentially, less subject to economic downturns.  IMO, every citizen should pay some taxes so that they have some skin in the game.  Even those who live off government benefits should have a small portion of those benefits withheld so that they understand that everything has a cost associated with it.  This principle also reduces class warfare, which I believe to be a very harmful construct, and it creates a sense of 'we're all in this together' because, actually, we are.

We may have strayed off the Nashville Bits And Pieces topic, but I've enjoyed the conversation!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Hopefully i'm not missing sarcasm lol, but DDI stands for "Diverging Diamond Interchange". The primary goal is to eliminate the dangerous left turn at intersections.

ddi800.gif

Thank you for this.  One of these was put in close to where I am and I didn't understand what is was or why such a drastic change.  As Paul Harvey would say, and now "I" know the rest of the story.

Edited by nashville born
  • Like 3

As more electric vehicles become available and the conversion from gas stations to charging stations takes place. The same taxes imposed on gasoline will most likely be imposed on the electric you use to charge your vehicle. It might be hard to wrap our heads around right now, but electric vehicles are coming quickly and within 30 years gasoline will be a thing of the past. Also probably hard to find. A lot of countries are going to ban all fossil fuels altogether within the next 20-30 years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

As more electric vehicles become available and the conversion from gas stations to charging stations takes place. The same taxes imposed on gasoline will most likely be imposed on the electric you use to charge your vehicle. It might be hard to wrap our heads around right now, but electric vehicles are coming quickly and within 30 years gasoline will be a thing of the past. Also probably hard to find. A lot of countries are going to ban all fossil fuels altogether within the next 20-30 years.

I believe RNG will be the future of transportation.

17 hours ago, nashville born said:

Thank you for this.  One of these was put in close to where I am and I didn't understand what is was or why such a drastic change.  As Paul Harvey would say, and now "I" know the rest of the story.

And the younger folks on here are asking, who is Paul Harvey?

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, OnePointEast said:

I believe RNG will be the future of transportation.

I’m not sure what your referring to here. What is your meaning of RNG? Only thing I know of with that would be Random Number Generation. 

My bad !! Renewable Natural Gas !!!!! 
it’s early, and I’ve been sleep deprived!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, that is a viable solution but I don’t see it becoming “ THE” major player. Electric seems to be the new wave of the transportation industry. And if the major players in the energy field start to embrace it and start converting their gas stations to charging stations / c-stores then that I feel will be the future. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Yes, that is a viable solution but I don’t see it becoming “ THE” major player. Electric seems to be the new wave of the transportation industry. And if the major players in the energy field start to embrace it and start converting their gas stations to charging stations / c-stores then that I feel will be the future. 

The electricity has to get created somewhere somehow.  Perhaps that's where the RNG comes into play.

• Like 1

I also like the idea of trash to energy, there’s a number of these in operation and they seem to work well. Taking all that trash out of landfills and creating energy to power our lives sounds like a win . Also how bout all those canopies at these gas stations over the pumps , be turned into solar panels to provide electric to power the charging stations. 

• Like 2