Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

My Dad always told us that “ there’s a place for everything, and everything in its place” . How true those words seem now. As I mentioned before on this topic , Downtown Nashville isn’t a open amusement park, nor are its streets the proper place for reveling and “partying “ in this manner. There’s plenty of bars and nightclubs available to do whatever you want and that’s the place it needs to stay. If that’s your cup of tea , then by all means go ahead and do your thing. Not saying anything about that, but please respect others and especially respect the residents that call Downtown home. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

A bill expected to be introduced at the Metro Council's Tuesday meeting could put an end to drinking on the party buses that frequent Nashville's Lower Broadway. 

If ultimately passed, the bill would bar passengers of any motor vehicle from possessing open alcohol containers or drinking alcohol while the vehicle is in operation.

Metro Council member Sean Parker, the bill's author, said he proposed the legislation in an attempt to reduce road rage incidents and promote public safety. This includes party buses that host drinking passengers in the public right of way.

"These vehicles have essentially operated on a loophole the whole time, and that is that they don't serve alcohol," Parker said. "People bring alcohol onto the party bus, so that's why there's no licensing, there's no alcohol tax."

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2021/09/07/nashville-alcohol-drinking-allowed-on-party-bus-proposed-law/5758226001/

I think rather than barring the ability for passengers to drink while the vehicles are moving (because correct me if im wrong, but isnt open container legal in TN?), why not just pass legislation that will hold the transpotainment vehicles responsible for how much of the alcohol the workers give back to the passengers. Councilman Parker (who is actually my councilperson) stated his reasoning as the same that I mentioend last week or two weeks ago. Hold the business culpable like a true bartender/bar and I bet we will see an improvement.

• Thanks 1

I think we should probably allow them but if they're making a ton of money by being annoying on public roads, they should be paying more taxes and fees. Maybe establish a licensing scheme with a cap and auction off multi-year permits so there's a market component to it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I think a huge problem regarding the party vehicles is that there is almost zero enforcement of the existing rules. Same for the scooters. You can have 100 rules but if police won't do anything and the party buses know it, where are we?

I get the impression that the police do want to spend time on this issue. They don't want to be babysitters to a bunch of drunken partiers anymore than they are now. The police would far rather the city ban them, so they limit enforcement to push the city. 

I spoke with two senior members of MNPD and they said they are happy to do something if called upon and the violation is clear.  The problem is that the only laws against the larger party wagons pertain to noise and nuisance.  These are quite hard to enforce.  Also, the police have plenty to deal with that is more urgent (and they are understaffed for a city this size) so they can't assign personnel to patrols designed to 'catch' party wagons breaking a noise ordinance.  One LEO told me that a city our size should have 2,100 officers and we have just under 1,400.  The police have met with the managers of several of these companies and asked them to reduce their noise and try to reduce their effect on city traffic.

The pedal taverns are regulated by Metro and you will not see them operating during rush hour.  When the Safe Fun Nashville group (I think that's the name) posts videos of pedal taverns and encourages us to join their crusade, they are using a bait-and-switch technique.  It's somewhat deceiving, I think.

By my lights, the party wagons need some self-regulation or enacted regulation in three areas: location, hours, and noise.  By location, I mean that they should commit to specific roads that better facilitate these types of activities.  By hours, I mean staying off the roads during rush hour and after 10 PM.  And I think the noise issue is obvious but here are the specifics: some wagons are definitely louder than others and some are definitely less loud, and any horn honking should be discontinued.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

All I can say is that I routinely have gotten behinds these vehicles on my way home, during rush hour, on Demonbruen, from day one. I’ve heard about selective enforcement from a relative who is a police officer, admittedly off the record. 

I think the better solution is to bring these businesses under the purview of the Transportation and Licensing Committee and start restricting permits and levying fines for those businesses that violate regulations vs. police enforcing open container laws/noise violations. Pedal Taverns can be annoying, but they largely stick to downtown and don’t come out during rush hour. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, andywildman said:

Could this bill be some gamesmanship from Metro Council to try to get the State to do something about these?

I was thinking that the other day @andywildmanI could see the state stepping in as some of the roads that these are operating on are state roads, and saying nope this is our domain and we aren't doing a thing.

They also love meddling in city business so it's a good possibility! 

This is interesting look at what the average downpayment is for house or townhome or condo in  Nashville  vs  median income.  Nashville comes in very close to Charlotte slighter worse that Raleigh which has higher incomes and Atlanta.   But then look at the California metro areas and see even with higher median incomes what it takes for the average downpayment.  (NYC too) In the race for talent it is harder and harder to attract people to those big coastal expensive cities and that is why you see a constant stream of companies coming out of California and NYC  to cheaper locales.  Imagine making $114K in San Fran and trying to buy a home condo or whatever there.

Buyers Are Bringing Supersized Down Payments | Realtor Magazine

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Country music is our money maker obviously, so I'm glad the city embraces it and promotes it, but I do wish the city would do a little more, particularly during a nationally televised event, to reinforce the idea that Nashville truly is a MUSIC City which has an influence and history that touches a wide array of genres and is welcoming to all, and not just a COUNTRY music city for the boot n cowboy hat set.  I mean I understand the lineup being majority country, because that's probably what most people want to see at a Nashville New Years Bash, but it seems like they could throw a couple other acts in there to mix it up at least a little?  I dunno... maybe CBS put the lineup together?  In any case, I'm happy to see the city getting even more exposure on the big stage.

Stevie Nicks!

nashville needs to replicate the 4th of July show and this would be massive

2 hours ago, luke1 said:

I’ve heard this point made on here many times but I’d like to echo it again. Substantial improvements need to be made to the sidewalk infrastructure outside the core in order to really create viable urban neighborhoods. 

I mean come on, what is this:2F1A57E3-6BD2-4024-B6E6-5A7B90EE33A0.thumb.jpeg.63006cf33058197f2c20c3db066c5289.jpeg

That, my friend, is a funny moment waiting to happen when someone is walking while browsing on their phone. 

I mean infrastructure wise, it's terrible, but we can at least hope for some entertainment. Maybe even a distracted scooter rider?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

CBS has picked up the Nashville New Years Eve celebration with 5.5 hours on their network.  https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/2021/09/09/dan-shay-dierks-bentley-set-new-years-eve-concert-nashville/5757312001/

This holiday season, the city hosts "New Year's Eve Live: Nashville's Big Bash," a five-hour primetime concert special featuring Dierks Bentley, Miranda Lambert, Darius Rucker, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton and more.  Viewers can tune into the show starting at 7 p.m. CST on New Year's Eve via CBS and streaming service Paramount+. 

This is a huge win for Nashville!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Does "limit alcohol" mean a ban on alcohol? 

5 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

What would "Limit open containers" mean I wonder?  To me this is putting a restriction on the customer rather than holding the actual company liable.

I’m curious about that too. I’m wondering if it is a blanket ban on alcohol, or if they will require the provider to furnish alcohol, pay taxes, and require an ABC license for the “bartender” etc, rather than the current situation where people provide their own alcohol. 

• Like 2

I will wait and see, number one what the state allows Nashville to do do, and number two, to see what Freddie’s bill looks like. As much as I dislike these types of businesses, the train left the station. I think it will have to be a sit down with all sides to work out a compromise bill that will work for everyone. These types of businesses are very popular with the types of tourists Nashville draws.

Hopefully they can limit the locations where these vehicles go.

The times that they operate.

The types of vehicles such as buses vs trailers and if they allow trailers are the vehicles pulling them street legal like tractors.

I am not even going to address the alcohol, because that will be for an army of lawyers to look at and trust me they will from both sides.

• Like 1