Jump to content

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Relevant to the Transpotainment Discussion, Freddie O’Connell filed a bill to regulate the vehicles under the Transportation and Licensing Committee. 
https://twitter.com/freddieoconnell/status/1436320999390261280?s=21

96AAA5FD-1658-48D9-860D-04A2487F31B0.thumb.jpeg.f53cebe158f01770c79fa6f81ff9edb0.jpeg

CB3AFCA6-7899-4BDD-A93A-F3445F0E1218.thumb.jpeg.752946f897a11efecee934225203cc76.jpeg

B0925886-F658-422E-91D0-DBDDDE9C7024.thumb.jpeg.c25173c30eec60b476727488644bd8dd.jpeg

4BEB24BF-D30D-4E71-9506-E0077B428E44.thumb.jpeg.721c3e39dc4ddd264e25856ebd9f45bc.jpeg

 

It would be nice if he understood the concept of giving us specific incidents so no one would think he's just pulling these "incidents" out of thin air.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So Nashville added another resident last night... Turner Wallace Chinetti 9 pounds 6 ounces. 20 inches.  Mom and baby are doing great! He’s ready to argue about scooters, height re

Took this yesterday.  Wanted to make it longer but it was quite windy yesterday. Some random thoughts...  How much room there is between Lafayette and the Interstate

I am humbled that NashvilleNowNext did a feature on my photo work here at Urban Planet Nashville. https://nashvillenownext.com/2021/04/02/the-hollingsworth-reel-vol-1-highlighting-the-work-of-nas

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Licec said:

 

It would be nice if he understood the concept of giving us specific incidents so no one would think he's just pulling these "incidents" out of thin air.

That was the first thing I thought when I read that part. Like a few public ones with videos, versus cops dealing with people on the sidewalks every single weekend. What % of "incidents" are we talking about here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

From what I've heard, there is growing concern that we are beginning to alienate certain segments of tourists, for instance families and tourists not coming to town to participate in a 3 or 4 day drunk fest, but increasingly unable to avoid it. The family, from Iowa, walking down Broadway isn't to keen on hearing obscenities' hurled from a peddle tavern going by. And the bad experiences get passed around far more than the good. This goes for conventioneers too. 

It also not easy to attract white collar businesses to locate in a downtown that is increasingly seen as a drunken free for all on many evenings. I'm not saying that this is the what is actually happening but the perception is getting out there on social media. The family happily eating ice cream on 2nd Ave doesn't get as many "views, likes, retweets" as the drunk falling off a party bus, on twitter. 

I've heard several anecdotal stories form business folks and tourists, who are returning after several years of not being here, and being pretty disappointed with the current atmosphere and that the party vehicles are getting a lot of discussion.  The party on Broadway used to be fairly contained to inside the bars. Then we began seeing every bar add roll up glass doors/walls and the party spread more onto the sidewalks. Now with the various types of party vehicles, all of Broadway and the side streets are becoming one huge party free for all. Many enjoy it and want more of it, many don't. We seem to be trying to find a middle ground. 

Which is why I came up with the idea for a museum/theater district on Upper Broadway along with more specialty retail in the Gulch-Nashville needs more options for visitors,residents and newcomers alike than just the drunkfest on Lower Broadway watching bachelorettes yelling woo-hoo while listening to coverbands-Nashville needs to step up to the plate NOW or LOBRO is gonna get old real quick.

Edited by bnacincy
Content
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking the Opryland area needs to be more than just outlet mall shopping-the area across from Opry Mills could be a good spot for the proposed theme park and I always thought relocating the Zoo from Grassmere to the current Two Rivers Golf Course location would attract more visitors and locals alike as it would be more centrally located and easier to get to. Music Valley needs to about more family oriented offerings.

And as I mentioned on the Printer and Banker thread 3rdAve/Printers Alley/Bankers Alley needs to become an alternative entertainment district for adults who still would like like a drink or two but want something a little bit more sophisticated in terms of entertainment than what is being offered on Broadway.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bnacincy said:

Which is why I came up with the idea for a museum/theater district on Upper Broadway along with more specialty retail in the Gulch-Nashville needs more options for visitors,residents and newcomers alike than just the drunkfest on Lower Broadway watching bachelorettes yelling woo-hoo while listening to coverbands-Nashville needs to step up to the plate NOW or LOBRO is gonna get old real quick.

I think Nashville Yards will fit this bill nicely, in terms of speciality retail and a more high end experience. I like Fifth + Broadway, and it’s definitely a lot more chill than Lobro, but it definitely appeals to that same crowd, particularly the Food Hall and the rooftop. 

Edited by downtownresident
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

From what I've heard, there is growing concern that we are beginning to alienate certain segments of tourists, for instance families and tourists not coming to town to participate in a 3 or 4 day drunk fest, but increasingly unable to avoid it. The family, from Iowa, walking down Broadway isn't to keen on hearing obscenities' hurled from a peddle tavern going by. And the bad experiences get passed around far more than the good. This goes for conventioneers too. 

It also not easy to attract white collar businesses to locate in a downtown that is increasingly seen as a drunken free for all on many evenings. I'm not saying that this is the what is actually happening but the perception is getting out there on social media. The family happily eating ice cream on 2nd Ave doesn't get as many "views, likes, retweets" as the drunk falling off a party bus, on twitter. 

I've heard several anecdotal stories form business folks and tourists, who are returning after several years of not being here, and being pretty disappointed with the current atmosphere and that the party vehicles are getting a lot of discussion.  The party on Broadway used to be fairly contained to inside the bars. Then we began seeing every bar add roll up glass doors/walls and the party spread more onto the sidewalks. Now with the various types of party vehicles, all of Broadway and the side streets are becoming one huge party free for all. Many enjoy it and want more of it, many don't. We seem to be trying to find a middle ground. 

So is the ultimate goal to get rid of the venues on Broadway? That's what this sounds like. How much family tourism was Nashville getting before the 10's?

If Broadway is such a problem then don't go. People don't take their kids to Printer's Alley so why take them to Broadway?

Are they complaining about The Strip? South Beach? Bourbon Street?

It sounds like a bunch of miserable lemon suckers who are mad because people are coming to Nashville for Jam Sessions and are not interested in sitting on their hands on a stool listening to old timey country twang music.

There's plenty for families to do where they don't have to go to Broadway.

The typical family vacation is June and July when school is out. What is Nashville supposed to do the other 10 months out of the year?

The typical family vacation is two nights, some stay three nights. And they don't back. Once they've come to Nashville they ain't coming back. As with most "family" vacations. That's Nashville tourism from the nineties and as late as the zeroes.

Adult vacations are at least three nights. Some stay four, five, or six nights. Adult vacations also have more people in their party. Some go as high as six to nine people. And Adults are more likely to come back. Some come back multiple times a year.

Go ahead and turn back the clock to the nineties and zeroes. The convention and tourism bureau imbeciles will be wasting taxpayer money for studies on how to increase tourism so that Nashville can catch up to Memphis, St. Louis, Louisville, and Atlanta.

A fool (Nashville) and its money are lucky to get together in the first place.

Edited by Licec
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

It also not easy to attract white collar businesses to locate in a downtown that is increasingly seen as a drunken free for all on many evenings. I'm not saying that this is the what is actually happening but the perception is getting out there on social media. The family happily eating ice cream on 2nd Ave doesn't get as many "views, likes, retweets" as the drunk falling off a party bus, on twitter. 

Balderdash.

Why did Alliance Bernstein locate their headquarters adjacent to an entertainment complex that has multiple bars, two live music venues and two concert venues?

Why are Amazon and Pinnacle locating their offices across the street from a future entertainment district where alcohol will be in abundance?

Why is Oracle placing an office in an area sure to have alcohol serving entertainment venues?

Why did Bridgestone and Assurion put their headquarters down the street from entertainment districts?

It looks like companies are seeing how Nashville is viewed as a fun place by productive adults and want to place their operations in downtown Nashville.

Edited by Licec
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

The current conversation is pretty much about party vehicles, their explosive growth and lack of rules. It’s not really about lower Broadway. Lower Broadway works as a rowdy zone. 
I will say all these businesses made their decisions to come here prior to the party vehicle bonanza. I’ll also note Pinnacle is making, what will be an expensive move, away from lower Broadway.
I really don’t think that prospective Ritz Carlton condo buyers will be impressed by a steady stream of peddle taverns parading in front of them on a daily basis and that’s where we are headed if we add 30 new ones a month. 
We are heading toward multiple, different, entertainment districts. All this discussion is really about is just maybe limiting a tractor pulling a bunch of drunken bachelorettes to a specific area, and not half the CBD, with defined rules. Is that really not up for discussion?


 

Yep, I’m sure the buyers at the Four Seasons and future Ritz Carlton would be absolutely thrilled to have the Nashville Party Tractor roll by at 12:15am, which just happened here at Encore. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, downtownresident said:

Yep, I’m sure the buyers at the Four Seasons and future Ritz Carlton would be absolutely thrilled to have the Nashville Party Tractor roll by at 12:15am, which just happened here at Encore. 

Yet Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton are building there in full knowledge of the crazy rowdy tourist scene there. 

And when you moved there, you knew what the area was like.    It's like people that move near the airport and then complain about it and demand the area change for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The party vehicle expansion/sudden growth debatably started just prior to Covid hitting and long after the Four Seasons was announced. The Ritz very likely is pretty sure the city will deal with this long before sales start, which it seems to be doing. 
Let’s take a poll of developers/downtown residents and see how happy they are with the current situation. I listen more to these folks, who are there on a daily or consistent basis, investing their money. If all was perfect this would not be happening. 
The party vehicles are not going away, that’s not the question. They will just be more regulated. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

The party vehicles are not going away, that’s not the question. They will just be more regulated. 

Yep. I don’t think they should be gone entirely, we just need a set of ground rules to keep them responsible. 

Edited by downtownresident
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Freddie’s bill from what it looked like is going to make the operators be more like bartenders in a way. I just caught a little snippet, but if that is the case then liability goes to the server and the establishment if there are accidents and overconsumption of alcoholic beverages and then they could loose their liquor  license as they would have to have one to serve, thus in effect putting them out of business or at least not able to serve alcohol, but I may be off on this scenario but that may be the route they are taking.

As for the noise, I will bet Metro will start anytime cracking down on the noise ordinance and writing the operators citations.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Just treat them like bars. Have to have a bartender and if someone is over served, they have the same penalty as a bar.  

This seems like a good compromise. Don’t want to ruin small businesses but tourists need to be held accountable. Follow @scannashville for one weekend to see how bad it’s gotten with the fights downtown.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, samsonh said:

This seems like a good compromise. Don’t want to ruin small businesses but tourists need to be held accountable. Follow @scannashville for one weekend to see how bad it’s gotten with the fights downtown.

WOW, this is fascinating (and a little frightening). A few screenshots from the last hour.

4A4AC51C-B98F-4C4A-93FB-F1210FDAA4A5.jpeg

A0839239-8339-46E6-A183-C0E59E496B66.jpeg

89254EEB-DEDE-410E-8F46-E6A8EC54A60B.jpeg

B3CB18FA-F7A0-4D08-912B-373E0AF44B25.jpeg

29A4A39E-E331-4AA0-AA65-8DF283D20ECA.jpeg

391667DA-E54D-41E2-84F1-7280664ED693.jpeg

CA187173-1E19-4FCD-B954-5F64C1A37D0E.jpeg

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Bos2Nash locked and unlocked this topic
  • Bos2Nash locked and unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.