Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

7 hours ago, MagicPotato said:

The worst part is that the interstate probably won't change much, even when the Nashville metro hits 3+ million population. The good news is that TDOT is at least expanding highway 96, which is way overdue. Highway 96 should have been expanded at least 5-10 years ago. 

It still amazes me how long it took to transition from a 4-way stop in Triune to anything other than a 4-way stop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From 'The Nashville Business Journal' :

"Deana Ivey is now president of the Nashville Convention & Visitors Corp., the city’s main branding and tourism organization.

She’s replacing former president Butch Spyridon, though he will retain his chief executive officer title. The move is part of a restructuring of top leadership, according to a news release, Ivey, who has been with the organization since 1997, was previously executive vice president." - more information in the article.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/01/10/ncvc-president-deana-ivey.html?csrc=6398

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From the "Kick'em when they're down" file... The Tennessean has to be THE WORST big city newspaper in the country.  https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/01/12/the-tennessean-to-end-saturday-print.html 

I'm not saying it's a bad decision to drop the print edition on Saturdays (it may be considering how awful the content of this newspaper has been over the past two decades), but I'm astonished at the slow death of a newspaper that was once one of two dailies that covered the state capital for crying out loud(!).  I mean, even when I lived in Nashville (as an outsider) I was well aware of the competing coverage of the state house, and I know The Banner died about 25 years ago.  It's astounding that the lone 'survivor' couldn't beef up its content and become better, well before digital became the mainstream.  But Gannett has destroyed what once was a paper where many great journalists got their starts.  Seigenthaler, Halberstam, Caldwell, Graham, Thompson, and so many other renowned reporters honed their craft there.  I realize that was a different time that only exists as a ghost today, but when compared to Chattanooga (and even Atlanta) where there is a viable paper (media) that doesn't just feed its subscribers crap from its corporate owner it's just sad,  The Times-Free Press rolled out their iPads to subscribers last fall, and we enjoy reading our local news on ours.  We still get our paper Sunday edition.  Reading this letter from Tennessean management about the games and obituaries being available (still) is nearly comical.  The Tennessean doesn't even look like it will exist in five years. Maybe a local consortium can buy it and bring it into the 21st Century.  Anyway, rant over. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

All the more reason to wish they'd ssell to a local group. Heck, tell the good folks at Nashville Post to offer ONE DOLLAR... like Newsweek was sold for.  Without printing presses and other infrastructure, the name and subscriber list is worth about a dollar (only partly a joke). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Tennessean also has the best coverage of news from surrounding counties.  

Despite nearly having a monopoly on print news in the surrounding counties, that's still debatable. 

11 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

In defense of the Tennessean, they do have good coverage of sports and crime, the latter of which there is an abundance to report on.

Their sports coverage is garbage. They used to have a stable of quality writers -- but they have all moved on to greener pastures. Worse yet, they just use the News Sentinel's reporters to cover UT (John Adams is a poor excuse for a writer). 

• Like 3

I was thinking about this five minutes ago wondering if they were going to lower their price for less service, but nooooo, they are increasing their price for less service. I told you they were hurting for money, and I will bet they have an exodus of customers because of this.

The old customer base of senior's is dying off, that is the over 70 crowd that get the home subscription, so they are going to have to make up the money somewhere!

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 7:43 PM, Auntie Yock said:

^Just got a notice in the mail today from the Tennessean stating that as of 2/15, they will be increasing their prices to what will be almost $90 per month including taxes (and this as they're getting rid of their Saturday edition), or roughly $3 per issue. So, this will now be in excess of $1k per year to subscribe. After my family has subscribed for almost a half-century, we will likely be canceling it. The hike in prices last year was bad enough, but with this, it is clear they're encouraging people to stop taking it as a print publication (especially the elderly, who've been subscribers for years).

Can you provide a screenshot of this piece off mail. It doesn’t sound real. 

On 1/15/2022 at 8:00 PM, Nash_12South said:

Can you provide a screenshot of this piece off mail. It doesn’t sound real. 

I don't have a way to screenshot and forward it, and it has personal/account info on it. Every subscriber to the Tennessean has or will be receiving this mail. It was virtually the same one we received last year when they similarly jacked up their rates.

• Like 1

I clicked on Tennessean’s subscription link and I only found promotional pricing, no honest disclosure of what the subscription rate would be when the promo period is over. Frankly, I don’t understand why anyone would want to sign up for home delivery under these circumstances. I suppose the promo rate is attractive for some folks, but there are plenty of places to get news of equal or superior quality from sources that are free of charge. 

• Like 2