Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I have a question, regarding the height limitations and how it works. It’s been said that Nashville is capped at 750’ because of the FAA and the flight path of the airport. So is that for occupied floors or total height? I’m curious if a crown or spire , would be included. Also, can a developer exceed this limit, if they can get insurance on it. I ask , because I was sitting here looking at some old stuff of mine. And a article about Signature Tower came up, the original plan was 1030 feet ! And was scheduled to be built, if not for the recession of 2008 which of course canceled it. And does it matter in what location a structure is built? We all know Nashville isn’t flat , so a building that’s 750’ atop of a higher elevation could be the same as a building that is 850 ‘ that’s in a lower elevation. From what point are they measuring? It’s not sea level , is it?

Too technical for me. I have no idea. That would be a question for the man that has the most experience with all of that, and we all know who that is!

34 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

I have a question, regarding the height limitations and how it works. It’s been said that Nashville is capped at 750’ because of the FAA and the flight path of the airport. So is that for occupied floors or total height? I’m curious if a crown or spire , would be included. Also, can a developer exceed this limit, if they can get insurance on it. I ask , because I was sitting here looking at some old stuff of mine. And a article about Signature Tower came up, the original plan was 1030 feet ! And was scheduled to be built, if not for the recession of 2008 which of course canceled it. And does it matter in what location a structure is built? We all know Nashville isn’t flat , so a building that’s 750’ atop of a higher elevation could be the same as a building that is 850 ‘ that’s in a lower elevation. From what point are they measuring? It’s not sea level , is it?

• Thanks 1

Record amount of industrial space leased in Nashville in 2021, with 9 million square feet delivered, and prices up 27%.  There is also currently 8.3 million more sq. ft. of space under construction.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/record-amount-of-industrial-space-leased-in-nashville/article_0b2c4f68-7afd-11ec-b4fa-8be6afb21c78.html

• Like 2

Can we talk about home prices? It's really getting out of hand. A townhome is going for around 300k. The sheer amount of homes needed to cover the demand is nonexistent.  At least for the suburban areas, homes are going for around 300k-350k, that's if you can out bid the competition. I know there is demand to live in the Nashville area, but this is getting out of hand. I'm debating on moving to Atlanta or back to Dallas. Nashville doesn't even have nearly the same amount of amenities in comparison to Atlanta or Dallas.

The inventory size of Atlanta and Dallas is still abundant. Even with the home prices going up around the country, it's still nothing compared to Nashville.  For example, a 2500sqft home in suburban Atlanta is about 300k, while the equivalent price in Nashville is about 500-600k. For about 300k, you'll be lucky to get 1250sqft. Another thing that I notice that most of the new homes being built are either townhomes or med-large size homes.  Nashville really needs to do something this is getting out of hand. 

Edited by MagicPotato
  • Like 3

The issue is all of the housing coming on the market is unattainable to the average American. Median prices at $350k+ are not helping the middle income and first time home buyers.

Housing in this country and around the world is really getting out of hand. I live in Charleston and was fortunate enough to buy a nice townhome in Jan of 2021  for $192K. Same townhome now goes for $270k. I am in the process of moving to another hot-spot, Tampa, and the same type of townhome, similar neighborhood starts at $325k. I will be keeping my place in Charleston and renting it out.

And lets not talk about the REIT, bidding wars, all cash buys, and investors. Doesn't REITs own like 40% of the rentals in Murfressboro? I think I read an article about that. They buy up whole neighborhoods then place the homes for rent, limiting the homes available for sale and driving up prices.

I will be renting for a couple of years, but even rents are outrageous. 2Bd room apt going for $1800+.

With the inflation issues, consumer debt and student loans, and wages not keeping up, we are in for a lot of trouble. Especially for the low and middle income Americans.

• Like 2

I recently seen a post on SSP that mentioned how eerily quiet the development news in Nashville has been. I’m starting to get that same feeling. It was going along at such a pace , it was hard to take it all in. Now we really haven’t had anything in weeks. Not even the much anticipated new updates on the NY project, which were expected “any day now” . So I ask the holder of the magic 8 ball and all the wizards out there… WHAT’S UP!!! 

• Like 1

I have to think Omicron sweeping through the country put a hold on a lot of stuff. I know we all got it and it put us out of commission for a week. 

And supply chain issues continue. You can tell when the houses under construction around me get materials, because they will work like crazy and then it'll be nothing for a week or two until the next batch of materials comes in. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nashmoney said:

The issue is all of the housing coming on the market is unattainable to the average American. Median prices at $350k+ are not helping the middle income and first time home buyers.

Housing in this country and around the world is really getting out of hand. I live in Charleston and was fortunate enough to buy a nice townhome in Jan of 2021  for $192K. Same townhome now goes for $270k. I am in the process of moving to another hot-spot, Tampa, and the same type of townhome, similar neighborhood starts at $325k. I will be keeping my place in Charleston and renting it out.

And lets not talk about the REIT, bidding wars, all cash buys, and investors. Doesn't REITs own like 40% of the rentals in Murfressboro? I think I read an article about that. They buy up whole neighborhoods then place the homes for rent, limiting the homes available for sale and driving up prices.

I will be renting for a couple of years, but even rents are outrageous. 2Bd room apt going for $1800+.

With the inflation issues, consumer debt and student loans, and wages not keeping up, we are in for a lot of trouble. Especially for the low and middle income Americans.

The companies that rent out homes/neighborhoods are definitely causing issues, but it's to complicated to monitor and make laws against it. 

Just read in the Nashville Post that Earl Swensson died-he was 91.

I always thought he was the designer of the Batman (AT&T) Building but it turns out his firm, according to Wikipedia, just did the interior design.

Nevertheless, a giant in Nashville's design community has passed.

Memory eternal.

Edited by bnacincy
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

10 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

Just read in the Nashville Post that Earl Swensson died-he was 91.

I always thought he was the designer of the Batman (AT&T) Building but it turns out his firm, according to Wikipedia, just did the interior design.

Nevertheless, a giant in Nashville's design community has passed.

Memory eternal.

Earl Swenson & Associates did design the Bellsouth Building (now ATT building).

Edited by donNdonelson2

The AT&T Building (Batman) was most certainly designed by Earl Swensson Associates. Earl may not have done all the heavy lifting with the design but his company 1000% did. Some of his other notable projects of old are News Channel 5, Wessex Tower, the old Gideon’s International, and the Imperial House. For whatever reason the Wikipedia page for that building is super active and can confirm zero changes have been made by ESa to ever correct any of the information.

• Like 2