Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

The large surface parking lot at 2nd Ave./Church Street was the location of an old warehouse building (much like the rest of 2nd Ave) that burned and was demolished in the late 80's, though I could not quickly recall exactly which year.  It had been, for a while, the home of "Goodies Warehouse" which was one of the earliest pioneers of the renaissance of 2nd Ave...a collection of small boutique-type shops and a cafe or two.  A major office tower was proposed for the location but was fought back by historic preservationists (probably a wise effort), but sadly has remained an unsightly surface lot for far too many years!

It was the old Washington Manufacturing Company, and it burned in fall 1985.  It was owned by a company out of Montgomery, AL, by the name of Algernon-Blair, and rumors persist that they had the building burned because they had other ideas for the property.  Allegedly (officially), it was set afire "by accident" by urban-outdoorsmen who were setting up camp inside the building.  With the downtown revival going on, I have thought it's a great location for an apartment block of about 8 stories... with underground parking, including public parking, to supplement the building.  An old-style brick veneer and masonry building with about 200 apartments is feasible... and would be quite profitable.  How do I know?  Weeeeell, let's just say a little birdy told me.  That birdy gets around.

• Like 2

Here is a link to the Nashville Public Library Digital Collection.  I posted a link to one photo from the collection last night and have spent a few minutes looking at others today.  (So happy to have stumbled across this archive of treasures!)  Great shots of some fantastic ghosts from our city's past!

http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/

Noel Place office building at 4th and Church may become a hotel again...built as Noel Hotel.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/6/13/tenants_of_downtown_office_building_given_notice_to_vacate

Probably a better use for it these days than as an office building. Plus, I like downtown (away from Broad) having more 24 hour uses.

Probably a better use for it these days than as an office building. Plus, I like downtown (away from Broad) having more 24 hour uses.

I agree.  The Courtyard by Marriott in the historic bank building across the street is a nice property that shows off some historic details, including the bar area in the original bank vault.   At least it's not a cookie-cutter Courtyard. This hotel could be equally if not more nice.  The proximity to Printer's Alley is a big draw for tourists, who are very conveniently located at that intersection.

Another good thing about this change in use would be the fact that those office users would potentially fan out into other downtown office space, thereby reducing the downtown vacancy rate even further.

Now if we can just get the historic Hotel Climax restored as a boutique hotel or residence.

Do you mean the Eutopia Hotel building (located at 206 4th Ave., N--next door to the Noel building) or the Climax Saloon building (located at 210 4th Ave., N)?  Both are buildings in need of updates and reuse for the 21st century!

http://books.google.com/books?id=Wq1PRKKVhd4C&pg=PA81&lpg=PA81&dq=nashville+hotel+climax&source=bl&ots=LBj2di3_P-&sig=XwiZTiQQDi7bORYaxP2z0yA-6Y8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=CVa7UYP8EJDI9gTN8IGgAQ&ved=0CE0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=nashville%20hotel%20climax&f=false

I guess that would be the Utopia hotel.  It had been slated for condos in the mid-2000s but that plan didn't work out.  I think that as condos it would have one or maybe two units per floor, but as a hotel one could probably get a handfull of rooms per floor depending on the layout.  The Climax building would seem to be easy to rehab compared to the Utopia.

I wonder if it would be possible for the Utopia to be an add-on to the Noel building. The Utopia might prove to be a little small for a hotel to be feasible...but as a separate wing as part of the larger hotel...I think that would be cool.

As for Hotel Climax...that sounds like a good name for a joint off of Trinity Lane and Brick Church Pike.

The Centennial expansion is for a fitness center and locker rooms only. There is no new hockey infrastructure going in at Centennial that I know of. 

There will be a third rink there. I think this project is to increase community involvement and get more programs going.

There will be a third rink there. I think this project is to increase community involvement and get more programs going.

This.

High school and youth hockey has experienced tremendous growth in the Nashville area since the arrival of the Predators -- but now I think they are faced with the prospect of future growth being limited due to the low number of rinks in the area. Had it not been for the recession (and the ownership issues under Craig Liarpold), we probably would've seen another rink or two already constructed. I know there were proposals pre-recession.

I think a rink here is a great idea because of the central location within the metro. It is convenient to the 200,000 people in Southeast Davidson, as well as those in Rutherford and Wilson Counties (at least moreso than Franklin -- and things can get crowded at Centennial). With a closer travel distance, I think you will see more high schools either pick up the game, or increase their programs (right now there are a number of co-op teams where two high schools share a squad).

I know people in Bellevue badly want a rink out there -- but I'm not sure it is as feasible due to the lower population in the surrounding area. I think Rivergate or Hendersonville would be a good choice, though.

More information courtesy of Cellblock: most importantly that this would become the Preds official practice facility in time.

http://www.section303.com/struggling-hickory-hollow-area-to-be-new-home-of-predators-practice-facility-50593

EDIT: The Preds official practice thing was removed from the article. I also couldn't figure out how that would work.

Edited by dmillsphoto

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I have yet to see any report about it becoming the official practice facility for the Preds.

I just don't see that happening for 3 reasons;

1. The plans to add another sheet of ice at Centennial.

2. The proximity to Brentwood and Franklin, where most of the players and coaches live.

3. Infrastructure. The Preds often need many hotel rooms for training camps and such. They have that at centennial. Not the case in H.H.

Ill believe it when I see it.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I have yet to see any report about it becoming the official practice facility for the Preds.

I just don't see that happening for 3 reasons;

1. The plans to add another sheet of ice at Centennial.

2. The proximity to Brentwood and Franklin, where most of the players and coaches live.

3. Infrastructure. The Preds often need many hotel rooms for training camps and such. They have that at centennial. Not the case in H.H.

Ill believe it when I see it.

The Tennessean article says it will double as a practice facility for the Preds, which leads me to believe Centennial will still be the home base, but this may provide fans with greater access to the team. With ample parking, public practices at the Global Mall would allow for a greater number of fans to come watch.

I think this is a good move by both the city and the Preds. Along with the new library, community center, and Nashville State satellite campus, the ice rink will bring other purposes to the mall, and hopefully not attract the element that originally led to the mall's demise. 

As a retail center, the mall also declined due to other retail centers opening up in the region, which made HH less of a destination shopping center. This should help make it more of a destination.