Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Saw this on the I Remember Nashville When Facebook page. It’s a trip to 100 Oaks Mall on Sunday, November 14, 1976. I was just a little over a month away from turning 3.  Everything looks the same expect for the cars. Once they arrive at the mall, it looks nothing like we know or today. By the time mt family moved to the area in 1988, I don’t think 100 Oaks was much of a destination. At that time, I remember Hickory Hollow being the place to go. On that note, glad to see that it going to be put to a good use that will have staying power. 

Edited by TNinVB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TNinVB said:

Saw this on the I Remember Nashville When Facebook page. It’s a trip to 100 Oaks Mall on Sunday, November 14, 1976. I was just a little over a month away from turning 3.  Everything looks the same expect for the cars. Once they arrive at the mall, it looks nothing like we know or today. By the time mt family moved to the area in 1988, I don’t think 100 Oaks was much of a destination. At that time, I remember Hickory Hollow being the place to go. On that note, glad to see that it going to be put to a good use that will have staying power. 

"Looks the same except for the cars"?  Maybe  you mised the blocks of  homes torn down and replaced with McMansions  Looks to be turning out of the driveway just east of Belmont.  For those of you newer to Nashville, Woodmont was the main access road to get to 100 Oaks Mall because there was NO intertstate exit at Armory Drive at all.  It seems the developers of the Mall failed to remunerate some of the city officials adequately to allow one to be built.  At the time of this film, Hickory Hollow did not exist having just broken ground.  Rivergate Mall was only about 5 years old and Green Hills was a high end strip shopping center and not a Mall at all.

Edited by Baronakim

10 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Congratulations Nashville metro area tops over 2 Million for the first time.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2022/population-estimates-counties-decrease.html

""Having gained 17,133 residents between 2020 and 2021, Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN, crossed the threshold of 2 million residents, for a total population of 2,012,476.""

That’s really anemic growth for Nashville. Just a few years ago (circa 2013-2016) we were growing at over 35,000 residents per year. What’s odd is that the growth seems to have actually sped up in the last few years compared that prior time, although that may be more of a function of the type of growth (buildings, high profile companies, etc) and not significant numerical growth. 

A few questions: 

1. Has Nashville’s growth actually declined that much or is this inaccurate?

2. Has the cost of living changed the income/wealth of people moving here? Are those 17,000 new people generally higher income and the lower income residents are having to look elsewhere?

3. What does the future hold? Will we see a resurgence of growth rates again? 

5 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

That’s really anemic growth for Nashville. Just a few years ago (circa 2013-2016) we were growing at over 35,000 residents per year. What’s odd is that the growth seems to have actually sped up in the last few years compared that prior time, although that may be more of a function of the type of growth (buildings, high profile companies, etc) and not significant numerical growth. 

A few questions: 

1. Has Nashville’s growth actually declined that much or is this inaccurate?

2. Has the cost of living changed the income/wealth of people moving here? Are those 17,000 new people generally higher income and the lower income residents are having to look elsewhere?

3. What does the future hold? Will we see a resurgence of growth rates again? 

Reporters get awfully careless with numbers.  Safe to say it is inaccurate and too low by half. For decades the sources in Nashville for those m-c estimates don't care to be close, which may explain partly how they get far behind on planning for growth (infrastructure, etc.).  There were over 12,000 new residential permits issued in Davidson County during that period.  https://data.nashville.gov/Licenses-Permits/Building-Permits-Issued-Map-/dmrx-ey8e  Assuming 2/3 were completed in that timeframe (tough to pin down but I assumed a rolling number from a year before and since) and a very conservative 1.33 per unit occupied, then a very rough estimate of the population growth in Davidson alone would be slightly under 10,700*.  Murfreesboro and Rutherford keeps a little better permit summaries (1200 and 1100 respectively), but I don't know about Smyrna and Lavergne. They're probably not far off the county number (let's say 1000) for a total guesstimate of 3300. As a suburban county it probably has a higher number of occupants per house, conservatively using 1.8 (probably actually 2+) for approximately 5700, and that's low compared to the historical annual growth totals of the past decade (8,000 per year). I don't know how the whole pandemic affected growth trends in TN, but there have been several articles in local and national pubs that stated TN was a beneficiary of people moving during the "shutdown".  *Given the record low "days on market" of houses in the MSA and the growth of the housing stock, it's safe to say just Davidson & Rutherford are around that 17,000 figure (I conservatively calculated 16,600), and that doesn't even include Williamson, Wilson and Sumner which collectively have grown by just under 14000 per year in the past decade.

Midcensus estimates statewide are consistently low:  always lower than the final count since 1990, which was notoriously undercounted.  The Boyd Center at UTK is better at their estimates but they've been consistently under actual counts in the past 2 decades by 10-15% from the census figures. https://tnsdc.utk.edu/estimates-and-projections/boyd-center-population-projections/   Even they show an annual increase for Nashville's MSA of 30,000 in each of the 20-21 and 21-22 timeframes.  I don't know where the consistent underestimating happens; if the permitting office is simply slow with their numbers or the counties, or CofC simply doesn't track. But I do believe there is a link to the low estimates and the woeful lag in infrastructure planning. And I'm not just ragging on TDOT's pathetic lack of planning and archaic financial practices. "Pay Go"... really? [smh]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seeing that, I'm convinced it's poor record keeping by Metro.  A loss doesn't even follow trends. The mayor should call an audit sometime in the next year (maybe a bit soon for that now). 

As noted in my post, they've been inaccurate (do they even know what to look at?) and it appears to be institutional.  What's the growth?  Unfortunately at this point (so soon after the decennial count) it appears they haven't even updated the number of new voters or address changes from the USPS, at minimum.  And that hurts beyond infrastructure... it's politically savvy to know approximately how many people are moving/born into your district. Also, it is essential to get accurate property tax projections... not to mention bond ratings, federal/state grants, and the favorable press that comes with being a growing city.  Butch Spyridon should jump on that pronto!!! 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Seeing that, I'm convinced it's poor record keeping by Metro.  A loss doesn't even follow trends. The mayor should call an audit sometime in the next year (maybe a bit soon for that now). 

I agree that it doesn't seem possible but BnaBreaker showed those Census Bureau figures and those wouldn't have anything to do with Metro, it would be the result of the actual count from the Census unless I'm completely misunderstanding this.  But it also shows big increases for all of the surrounding counties so I'm wondering if it could be a result of people moving from Davidson County to the suburbs, that's exactly what I did three years ago and a lot of people did the same thing.   

• Like 1

That's not from the Census. They're mid-census estimates (for 2020-21 in this case), and Nashville/Tennessee have a fairly poor record of making accurate estimates. I speculate that this has a lot to do with their record keeping and the retrieval to such figures. Apparently not a priority. No matter what you might think of growth slowing or accelerating in Davidson County, nothing points to an actual loss of residents in the single year given above. The so-called "housing shortage" alone is a big tip-off, and there aren't enough AirBNB companies to explain that they've all been bought up for rentals. It's an anomaly, and I'm quite sure it has so much to do with the link above stating the MSA increased by only 17,000 people. I'd say a deeper dive will reveal that Davidson County punted on providing real, verifiable figures to the US Census Bureau. 

• Like 2

1) Tennessee expected to grow by 1 million people over the next 20 years, mostly in the Nashville region according to Univ. of Tennessee's Boyd Center for Business and Economic growth.

More at Fox 17 here:

https://fox17.com/news/local/tennessee-expected-to-grow-by-1-million-people-next-20-years-mostly-in-nashville-region-population-real-estate-relocation?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022.03.25 NASH&utm_term=NASHtoday Subscribers - MASTER

2) Tennessee has made over $92 million in taxes from Airbnb, according to the company. This is a 185% increase compared to Tennessee Department of Revenue remitted taxes in years past. Data shows Davidson County earning $34 million of that total sum alone. 

More at Fox 17 here:

https://fox17.com/news/local/tennessee-receives-92-million-from-airbnb-taxes-davidson-sevier-bring-highest-totals-nashville-gatlinburg-chattanooga-knoxville-memphis-vacation-rentals?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022.03.25 NASH&utm_term=NASHtoday Subscribers - MASTER

• Like 3

Why am I so excited about this?  I'm glad you asked.  I've been rooting for some action in this part of downtown since I started following the UP Nashville community.  Could it finally be about to happen???  Between this news and the TPAC talk, fingers crossed!

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/downtown-mixed-use-building-listed-for-undisclosed-price/article_f23856bc-aba0-11ec-985f-47fb468a2caf.html

• Like 2

14 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

Thank you for the bat signal, @dmillsphoto.

First of all, the Census release is the yearly estimate. Keyword: estimate. We've seen how far off the numbers have been preceding the official count*. 

Second of all, this estimate was in the middle of Covid. The numbers are in flux for a lot of places. A lot of people were avoiding cities in favor of less dense areas for social distancing or to escape from areas with strict limitations or guidelines (btw, this is not an invitation to talk politics. If you quote this post and respond with your dumb political opinions, I will straight up murder you). 

I would expect to see a lot of places that showed huge losses to either follow with gains in the coming years, or to see "corrections" to the past estimates (as the Census Bureau often does).

Did Davidson County lose that many people between 2020 and 2021? It's possible. But I find it highly unlikely. More likely that growth just slowed for several months.  I have a hard time believing that Davidson would *lose* that much population, but Williamson and Rutherford's growth would basically be unfazed. It's hard for me to imagine that everywhere in the metro continued growing at its normal annual rate, but Davidson County suddenly reversed from 9k annual growth to -12k all of a sudden. I feel like that trend would have been reflected with other counties in the metro (especially if it were a COL thing or a change in the metro's popularity).

I suspect in a couple of years, you'll see 2021 adjusted up at least a  few thousand.

*and even the official count faces scrutiny for likely undercounting  some groups -- especially immigrants and minorities in cities.

Could any population slowdown or loss be due to families moving out and singles/couples without children moving in? I don’t have any stats about this, just anecdotal, but probably 3/4 of the couples with children that I know have left Davidson over the past few years. I still know a few holdouts but some of them want to leave too. Hell, I wanted to stay but we still ended up in Sumner County. Again, anecdotal, but our family of four (expected to be five by early July) was replaced in our old home by a couple without kids. 

Also, I know that much of the new apartment construction basically maxes at 2 bedroom units, and even those are so prohibitively expensive that it basically demands high earning single roommates splitting rent. 

My own observations are that quite a number of couples with kids are still moving in, at least into 12 South. I've never seen the playground, at Sevier Park, more full of toddlers and young parents. Every morning there is a steady stream of parents and kids making their way to Waverly Belmont Elementary. I've seen a number of neighbors stick with public school through the 8th grade and then look for private options.  I even have one friend who recently returned to East Nashville with 3 young kids and hubby, from Brentwood, because between the quiet and the politics they weren't happy.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 3