Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

2 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2022/03/28/nasvhille-grapples-height-policy-new-skyscrapers-climb/9454604002

Did you all see this? It's a long article, but does this person really thing Rutledge Hill is the "edge of downtown"? You are in the urban core my dude, unless you bought your air rights, not sure what you have to complain about.

"He felt comfortable moving into a neighborhood at the edge of downtown that would remain residential, with towers scaling mid-rise at most. He knew before making the leap that he was settling into a city continuously on the rise. What he didn’t know was that the sky might be the limit.  "I foolishly relied on the Downtown Code,” Snyder said Wednesday. "

I read it this morning and it made me want to puke. The resident that said the lawsuit is not about his views of the city. That’s complete bs, would he be suing if this project was three blocks to the west? If he had done his due diligence he would know about the bonus height program and he would know that developers have been using it fair and square. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2022/03/28/nasvhille-grapples-height-policy-new-skyscrapers-climb/9454604002

Did you all see this? It's a long article, but does this person really thing Rutledge Hill is the "edge of downtown"? You are in the urban core my dude, unless you bought your air rights, not sure what you have to complain about.

"He felt comfortable moving into a neighborhood at the edge of downtown that would remain residential, with towers scaling mid-rise at most. He knew before making the leap that he was settling into a city continuously on the rise. What he didn’t know was that the sky might be the limit.  "I foolishly relied on the Downtown Code,” Snyder said Wednesday. "

Planning seems to be utilizing the allowed built square footage at the bonus height maximum as the guideline(for 2nd and Peabody and the Centrum development), which is fair in my opinion. 

I imagine that the reworked overall height modification will have more specific guidelines rather than the fairly open guidelines we have now.

IMO, if Mr. Snyder read the entire DTC these types of requests and subsequent approvals would not have been outside the realm of possibility given that they’re a block away from unlimited height under the bonus height program, and the overall height modification does not mention any limits to height at all.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2022 at 6:35 AM, MLBrumby said:

Just scanning the "paper" this morning, I stumbled across this photo and caption in the regular Tennessean feature "A Look Back..." to April 1962.  I find it stunning how so many were willing to destroy (and did) so many historical structures in the name of "renewal".  Atlanta destroyed its two main passenger rail terminals during this time, and lost that part of history forever. Three of their grandest hotels in the CBD were demolished. I don't want to beat up too much on ATL because I think they've done better at preservation than most sunbelt cities.

Sturdy, historic Union Station, here center April 20, 1962, will pass into oblivion to make way for expansion of the post office if federal authorities decide to accept an offer by the Louisville & Nashville Railroad to make this possible. The station would be razed under that play, with a three-floor structure to be built to provide railroad space at the track level and postal space on the upper floors. A post office survey team will study the feasibility of making a multimillion-dollar post expansion under this plan.
ELDRED REANEY / THE TENNESSEAN

I could look at that picture for hours! The railroad ROW was so wide. Look at all those surface lots already spreading in the foreground! Bizarre to see the west side of the Gulch leading to midtown without the interstate slashing through the neighborhood.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2022 at 6:35 AM, MLBrumby said:

Just scanning the "paper" this morning, I stumbled across this photo and caption in the regular Tennessean feature "A Look Back..." to April 1962.  I find it stunning how so many were willing to destroy (and did) so many historical structures in the name of "renewal".  Atlanta destroyed its two main passenger rail terminals during this time, and lost that part of history forever. Three of their grandest hotels in the CBD were demolished. I don't want to beat up too much on ATL because I think they've done better at preservation than most sunbelt cities.

Sturdy, historic Union Station, here center April 20, 1962, will pass into oblivion to make way for expansion of the post office if federal authorities decide to accept an offer by the Louisville & Nashville Railroad to make this possible. The station would be razed under that play, with a three-floor structure to be built to provide railroad space at the track level and postal space on the upper floors. A post office survey team will study the feasibility of making a multimillion-dollar post expansion under this plan.
ELDRED REANEY / THE TENNESSEAN

I realize that the publishing had been just another morsel of sensationalism.   Actually, both Atlanta's Union Station and Terminal Station we’re still extent  extant and in use through early 1971.  “Terminal Station” was the actual name for several passenger head-houses owned by the Southern Railway ─ another being in Chattanooga.  I rode some of last runs to and from those stations in summer 1970, the last time I would see those sites intact.  Union Station, on Forsyth Street, was very close to Atlanta’s then-famous Rich’s Department Store.   

As far as the expanse of railroad tracks in central core areas was concerned, such a sight was still common nationwide into the early 1970s, and not only in Nashville and the much bigger and multiple examples of Chicago alone.  They usually were in the form of plateaus or gulches, as with Buffalo, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Kansas City — just to mention a few.  Rail was the primary mode to get from downtown to downtown, so that required multiple facilities for collateral operations.  Also, as in the case of Nashville, freight terminals  were nearby on the same grounds, where shippers and recipients of cargo and express would interact directly with railway agents.  That's why Nashville had such a humongous freight terminal that extended from Broadway to Church and from Church to near Charlotte.  (Radnor was used primarily for railway freight-car interchange and train make-up)

Naturally then private railroad companies would spin off surplus assets back then.  But in 1962, passenger rail was yet still a bit bustling with backed up lines at the escalator, not only at Atlanta’s Union Station, but at Nashville’s as well.  That noticeably had changed around 1964-65, when Nashville still was served by about a dozen trains daily.   By March 1968, the train count had dwindled to around 7 trains daily, reduced again by 2 (to 5) in January 1969.  It wasn't until around 1970-71 that these expanses or tracks would become nearly totally empty and soon thereafter "headless" without a passenger station (as with Atlanta).

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

1852760138_ScreenShot2022-04-08at10_08_13AM.thumb.png.747f4d6ed0a7c602c7b17df410c4ada6.png
Google needs to update, the view right now would be so much different than even this.

I googled this out of curiosity, because their 45 degree angle imagery is really cool.  I can't find anything other than news articles from 2012 talking about the deployment of airplanes used to gather this imagery.  

15 hours ago, chris holman said:

Imagine if Nashville were to become  a major tech AND financial center.

• Like 3