Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I don't know precisely what data sources are used in USCB estimates, but I'd imagine it has USPS data (address changes), building permits/starts for particular structures (SFH, MFH, etc.), voter registration from different states, births/deaths, DMV registrations, and maybe even moving van companies, utility hookups etc..  I guess there's certain algorithms the Bureau uses and if they don't get certain data it throws off the estimates. That said, it seems that Metro Nashville is chronically late and even inaccurate with a lot of their own population projections.  I believe that is one big reason Nashville gets behind in its infrastructure development.  We see it a little bit here in Hamilton County, but it seems to me that Hamco is far better at staying apace the growth in the various areas of the county. 

Given that many offices (Metro included) were closed in 2020-21, and/or many worked from home where a lot of those records were not readily available, I'd guess the Bureau just didn't get all their data for last year. From a previous comment here, it would appear that was the case in many municipalities. Short of a special census (and I can't remember any large municipality doing one) maybe they can get caught up on the data and NOT stay lagging behind for the rest of the decade. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 10:25 AM, PaulChinetti said:

Financial, Tech, and Healthcare jobs. I'll take those all day, all those kinda jobs, we could weather any financial disaster pretty well I think.

Everything in moderation.

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

“It’s Vegas times 10 down on Broadway in those honky-tonk areas. It was so out of control,” Miller said. "They’re worried about their brand because it is so out of control, the conduct and the misbehavior.

I wonder what day and time these people toured the area.  Imagine if they made these remarks after a 6-8PM Tuesday outing vs a 12-3AM Saturday/Sunday visit.

I recently saw a clip from a certain reality show that focuses on female spouses from a certain Northeastern state.  They made the trip down to Nashville and partied at the Nashville Underground.  It, unsurprisingly, ended up in a violent outburst and the civilian patrons you can see in the background are barely phased.  Tossing drinks and yelling obscenities is nothing for Lower Broad.  People have literally died, been sexually assaulted, stabbed, beaten up, shot and had a colostomy bag thrown at them down there.

100 % with you on this Smeags! I know I hear a lot of smack, whenever I mention this topic. But it’s getting to be a embarrassment to this great city. I commented on this awhile ago, when family was here ,and I took them Downtown and was told by them what a let down it was. 

To me, the problem is what is going on in the streets.  Bar hopping and crazy drunks is part of any city with big time tourism.  But add in the insane amount of drunks hanging from passing party wagons traveling all over the area, screaming and potentially dying in a fall is what takes Broadway from being a fun “bar” scene to an over-the-top drunk circus.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

What about all the Bars and Honky Tonks on Broadway have ever been about bringing your kids too?? It's literally 5 blocks of 3 story bars.

That’s exactly the point! Tourism and entertainment is supposed to be for everyone, not just drunks having a free for all to “ let off some steam” . What about the music fans  , who come to experience “ Music City” and visit the establishments of their stars and find out with their kids in tow that it’s just 5 blocks of obnoxious drunks in 3 story dive bars. It needs to be controlled, you want to get plastered and curse and whatever, stay at home and do it in your own privacy. Like Smeags mentioned, one day someone is going to “let off some steam “ with a AK or bomb , drive through a crowded street and then everyone will be crying and up in arms asking why the city let it happen. 

No BnaBreaker I’m not at all saying that bars be outlawed. It’s quite ok , to sit and have a few drinks with friends. It is however not necessary for the intense amount of public intoxication and downright ridiculous nonsense and mayhem that continuously goes on in this area. There is a difference, and while there are plenty of places that children can not and should not be expected to be , that’s exactly right. But I’ve been around for many decades, been all around the world and have done some bar hopping also. But in every city I’ve been I never have seen this kind of behavior.

• Like 2

There are some folks that live downtown with children, not a lot mind you but there are some. It is not safe for them to go out and grab a bite to eat, not to mention walk to TPAC or the Symphony now. What about those folks. There are some folks that want to bring their kids to some of the museums to see the stars they enjoyed when they were young. It’s not about the bars guys and it can’t just be about the bars, and the Mayor and council have lost site of this. They need to take a Friday night and walk the district as a group with their families and see how bad it is.

BTW, thanks everyone for keeping a great conversation civil and under control.

• Like 4

I see the points being made. I suppose I am a little biased because of my size I don't really worry about some of these problems when I'm walking down the street. 

I do think a lot of this can be easily solved. It's the cities desire to actually get it done over the objections of the bar owners who fight any change tooth and nail.

• Like 2

Tourists and locals alike are expected to party when they hit the bars on Broadway, and that’s not a problem. The problem becomes when those certain tourists and locals move past the point of “just drunk” to drunk and disorderly, or to the point where they are blind drunk and falling down in the streets. 
The bar owners and their staff, along with law enforcement, need to reign in those who get to the point of “public intoxication” or “drunk and disorderly.” If enforcement means that some of that element chooses to stop coming to Nashville, I’m totally okay with that!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Way too many Americans can't hold their alcohol-Lower Broad just amplifies that.

It's a shame because other than that, I really enjoy the energy down there-hopefully as 2nd Ave comes back to life it will be more restaurant oriented-as it was becoming before the bombing-and perhaps become a transition between Lower Broad and say, Printers Alley which needs to develop more non country music oriented entertainment.

• Like 1