Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

So how do you have 10 Bentley’s , and sell 8 for msrp and two at half price? But there’s no difference in any of them , there identical. Same goes for housing, if you build a 30 story building with luxuries that market for say 3000 dollars per month rent , and have those same units available in same building for 10 units at affordable 1500 dollars per month, how’s that helping anything? But if you build a 30 story building , with the intent to market them at that affordable price then all tenants are getting the same thing. I wouldn’t expect a buyer in the Four Seasons to be happy that the people next to them pay half the cost, but have the same. I would expect it to cause a lot of issues . 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

So how do you have 10 Bentley’s , and sell 8 for msrp and two at half price? But there’s no difference in any of them , there identical. Same goes for housing, if you build a 30 story building with luxuries that market for say 3000 dollars per month rent , and have those same units available in same building for 10 units at affordable 1500 dollars per month, how’s that helping anything? But if you build a 30 story building , with the intent to market them at that affordable price then all tenants are getting the same thing. I wouldn’t expect a buyer in the Four Seasons to be happy that the people next to them pay half the cost, but have the same. I would expect it to cause a lot of issues . 

I assume there are some kind of tax breaks, how does it currently work when affordable housing is included in a project?

I know I read something where in NYC there was a tower built that included affordable units and they made them use a separate entrance which is some b.s. I think. 

You aren't a different person because you make less money, I get that there is a difference in the prices/finishes but it should all be one cohesive building in my mind not separate any other way. 

I assume the cheaper units are going to have builder grade appliances, laminate flooring, not trim, things like that. Just like if you bought a 250k house versus a 500k house.

The keyboard being in my ramble is ASSUME...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I know I read something where in NYC there was a tower built that included affordable units and they made them use a separate entrance which is some b.s. I think. 

The term for this is "poor door" and there are many, many videos out there of people showing the differences between main entries and poor doors on housing developments. They're especially common in London where council housing is prevalent.

6 minutes ago, colemangaines said:

The term for this is "poor door" and there are many, many videos out there of people showing the differences between main entries and poor doors on housing developments. They're especially common in London where council housing is prevalent.

Dislike.

Heaven forbid you get to know your neighbors. I guess that's just how some people are though. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Somebody please help with my memory in this, but wasn’t 505 Church Street built with separate entrances for different portions of the building?

Yes. There is a separate condo entrance from the Apartment portion of the building. They are right next to each other, and both very nice, imo. 

This is why I asked the question above, it shouldn’t be , as Paul stated, people are all the same regardless of their income. But society has managed to to drive a wedge into humanity and has divided everything and everyone into “classes” and I’m just wondering how would any affordable housing be developed into market rate housing, without conflict?

12 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Yes. There is a separate condo entrance from the Apartment portion of the building. They are right next to each other, and both very nice, imo. 

Not that 505 was designed with this in mind, but in retrospect I'm sure it turned out to be a plus for the condo owners once 505 management decided to convert the apartment portion to STRs (Stay Alfred).    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

Both nationally and locally, the affordable housing crisis is getting worse. We must quickly go beyond promises (editorial):

I couldn't read the editorial because of the paywall but the current prices in every market are the result of supply and demand and I have mixed feelings about creating an artificially low price for the lucky few who happen to get into housing that's worth more than they're paying in terms of price and location.  When faced with increased housing costs I chose to move a bit further out to the suburbs, that seemed like the right solution to me personally.  It's an unfortunate result of our success and I think we have to accept it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colemangaines said:

Kinda reminiscent of “blacks eat in the back”.  (not the same of course, but still makes me cringe)  Crazy to think they would make the “poor” use a different door.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Kinda reminiscent of “blacks eat in the back”.  (not the same of course, but still makes me cringe)  Crazy to think they would make the “poor” use a different door.

Yeah, really sucks. Seems as if we are as a whole sifting backwards, instead of moving forward. And I’m talking about humanity throughout the world, not just here.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

I’m just wondering how would any affordable housing be developed into market rate housing, without conflict?

Build it and they will come. Maintain it and they will take care of it. 

Ultimately it simply comes down to profit margin though. When cities have zoning mandates, affordable units included in a project cut into the otherwise decent profit margin on these project. In cities that have zoning mandates for affordability as part of developments, developers can sometimes have deals where the they will build the affordable units on a different site within a certain range of the project. To me this basically just kicks the can down the road because it is still a "poor door" but in its entirely own building. 

When we think about the "conflict" aspect. Who really would know what unit is affordable and which ones aren't? It isn't like the developer or residents need to disclose that they are in one of those units. Neighbors would probably work it out for themselves, but unless they are awful human beings, it should not matter. Apartments are very easy to inject these units, because it is not like resale is a major concern. Condo developers have a bigger issue with affordability because it "impacts our resale value", which is BS because technically the affordable units are built just the same as the market rate units (including trim, appliances, etc), and again, it isn't like the residents need to disclose who is purchasing an affordable condo. It is the residents there that judgy and try to be nosy about which one is the affordable so they can judge and demean and complain. 

It is part of an overall class war that has been going on for decades, and it is all fueled by money

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

It is part of an overall class war that has been going on for decades, and it is all fueled by money

Exactly, “Money is the root of all sin” I believe that’s the quote. Anyway,  does a developer or a municipality have to disclose that a building has or is affordable housing units? Like say the new Prime or Alcove, if they were to include a percentage of the available units as affordable? Like you stated , no one really needs to know who’s paying what. And I really see apartments being a key in this. It can work there, because there is no resale value to worry about. And if it doesn’t need to be known that some units are reduced for affordability, then it can be successful in so that nobody feels different.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 1:40 PM, titanhog said:

I think they also had that at the Adelicia...