Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

14 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I was too young at the time. My first memory of coming down here is when I drove to the sporting goods store that was by The Standard to buy some baseball pants  

Is there somewhere to see all the old buildings that go torn down??

"...Is there somewhere to see all what got town down?"

If you take a portal trip into my mind, I guarantee you'll see a slew of buildings and other "dated" clutter that met the ball dangling from the boom ─ things I've even forgotten about until now. :D:cry:

The same happened to downtown Louisville, on 4th St., although the iconic Ryman arguably was made far more "visible" nationally by radio and TV broadcasts during the first 2 thirds of the 20th Century.  But Louisville had far more old stock of masonry structures, much of which in many ways seemed influenced by migration patterns from the central-eastern Midwest, whereas Nashville was more sequestered from the commercial and industrial activities which set off that massive construction evolution of the mid-Ohio Valley region.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, billgregg said:

You're making a lot of assumptions about the nature of the website. Maybe wait and see what it is?

I make NO assumptions about your site.  I merely make suggestions that I have observed in many other posts  bemoaning loss of historic buildings in which nostalgia freaks are having hissy fits whenever some favorite site is slated for the ball.  I.E. Rotiers/ Emmas recently.  In my estimation, most of them want NO change whatsoever.  The members of this forum generally are very pro change, so I don't think that would be an issue here.  One of the great lacks I feel in any compilation of "lost" structures suffers greatly from  including WHY some structures had to be razed.   You can be sure I will have have great interest in your issued product and will make kudos and criticisms as I see fit.  Loking forward to seeing it.

Edited by Baronakim
spelling
  • Like 3

On 6/4/2022 at 1:52 PM, Baronakim said:

.  There are several promennt treasures unavoidably lost to fires like the Maxwell House.  

Probably true except for the Maxwell House which had no sprinkler system headsmack, and was a mostly wooden structure floors included. Like the Omni Mount Washington in New Hampshire if you've seen it.

BTW remember discussing possible undercounting the TN census? Well lookey here, the Uniparty running everything admits it, and interesting which states are undercounted and which were overcounted.  Quote: "We estimated undercounts for Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas. We estimated overcounts for Delaware, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, and Utah."  link: Census Coverage Estimates for People in the United States by State and Census Operations

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, dragonfly said:

Well lookey here, the Uniparty running everything admits it, and interesting which states are undercounted and which were overcounted.  Quote: "We estimated undercounts for Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas. We estimated overcounts for Delaware, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, and Utah."  

Is it "interesting" though?   Or are you just intent on finding conspiracies where none exist?  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

Wawa is one of those places like Bucees and Sheetz that have almost cult like loyalty. They definitely an east coast brand, but certainly not a NorthEast brand as I believe the furtherst north they go is PA. 

Now Sheetz... When travelling to and from New England, my girlfriend and I almost always work our fuel stops around those places as the bathrooms are ALWAYS clean and the food isn't bad for gas station food haha.

• Like 2

Wawa is more mid Atlantic and Florida chain of convenience stores as of now.  They have indicated they want to move into NC south from VA as they are building out Florida.  Sheetz which is from PA is their main competitor and is already in northern NC but Quiktrip based in Oklahoma is big in the Charlotte area which has no Sheetz.

Bucee's is another thing all together and can't wait to go to your Crossville store.  It is a like a department store with 120 gas pumps out front with apparel, lots of snack foods and specialty foods and a good amount of prepared foods like brisket sandwiches  and other hot sandwiches.  Their stores average 53,000 sq ft!   Houston area based.   These are fewer and far between  and only located on major interstates. 

I have been to all three of these Wawa in Florida, Sheetz here in NC and at least 15 Bucee's locations in Texas, Florida, and now in SC.   Consider me apart of the Bucee's cult 

photo from Florence SC the Carolina's first store and that is a side entrance. 

IMG_5402.JPG

IMG_5405.JPG

IMG_5406.JPG

• Like 3

As a certified Sheetz occultist they are very good!

I grew up near Pittsburgh and Sheetz was the main player around those woods. Never really thought much about Sheetz until I moved here and didn't have it anymore. Like @Bos2Nash said about planning trip around them, that is how I do it too. Plus the food is a lot better than you would think for a gas station. I would take them over a lot fast food places. When I took my wife back north, I told her that she's going to have to trust me on eating at a gas station. 

• Haha 3