Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Saw that last evening and again on BusinessJournal.

I used to do Wawa all the time around the Philly area and in south Jersey way back. And then I found out that my fav happy-hour watering hole in Norfolk Va. (when I worked for the railroad) had been replaced with a Wawa (Little Creek Rd. at Chesapeake Blvd).   Back then Wawa hadn't expanded that far south into the Mid-Atlantic, much less Florida.

Anyway, I'm all arm's open for the Wawa "Space Invasion" down here, but I also really hope Sheetz (based in Altoona) will take note and aim for a piece of the Southern Pie as well. Sheetz has more of a Central Pa. concentrated presence, and the nearest one to Nashville is (I believe) at Bristol. In either case with Wawa (and hopefully eventually Sheetz), they're going to have to set up some new distribution facilities for the logistics, just as no doubt has been the case with Florida.  I suspect that, since Wawa also is eying Mobile and the FL Panhandle, they have other targets on the back burner as well.  But both Wawa and Sheetz need to show Circle K and Mapco just who's in charge in "Dodge", here in Middle Tenn.

I also love the Buc-ee business model, but that set-up is more suited for intercity service than as urban convenience stores.    The last time I stopped at a Buc-ee's was off I-35 in New Braunfels, just NE of San Antonio (2014).  I really miss the "MTO" (made to order) kiosks at the larger Sheetz locations and the 24-hour full menu.   On the way south from Lititz, Pa. in Lancaster Cnty, I stopped at one Sheetz that really made a point for its customers to use "Sheet" rolls, as much as they woof down the MTO's.
IMG_5913.thumb.JPG.829de2be7ac86ac27b97e00a8bac8413.JPG

IMG_2786.thumb.JPG.a1bce1f12ba681fbb37b517b3c51cb4a.JPG  IMG_2788.thumb.JPG.628c28e1926417a1f4e7a701d6b2b30c.JPG
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Nashville has topographical issues those other cities for the most part don't. It's really hurting Nashville's ability to increase its stock of affordable single family homes.

I look for the flat part of Cheatham and Robertson  Counties as possible areas of growth for new housing inventory.

• Like 2

Forgive me up front if this should be a “coffee house” post (Mods…feel free to delete if needed)…but I just had a friend ask me if I could help a new track athlete going to Belmont on scholarship, find a place to live.  Said it’s all up to her to find her own place (guess maybe Belmont gives her a stipend…but she has to find her own place to live?).

Anyway…they say they’ve tried everywhere…and nothing.  Trying to get something not too far from Belmont.

First of all…is it THAT bad out there to find an apartment?

Secondly…any suggestions?

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

Forgive me up front if this should be a “coffee house” post (Mods…feel free to delete if needed)…but I just had a friend ask me if I could help a new track athlete going to Belmont on scholarship, find a place to live.  Said it’s all up to her to find her own place (guess maybe Belmont gives her a stipend…but she has to find her own place to live?).

Anyway…they say they’ve tried everywhere…and nothing.  Trying to get something not too far from Belmont.

First of all…is it THAT bad out there to find an apartment?

Secondly…any suggestions?

There's a bunch of older apartments in Green Hills and the Midtown area for a little north of $1,000 / month.  Otherwise, tell her to get on Craigslist and search for female roommates near Vandy / Belmont etc

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 5:44 PM, bnacincy said:

Nashville has topographical issues those other cities for the most part don't. It's really hurting Nashville's ability to increase its stock of affordable single family homes.

I look for the flat part of Cheatham and Robertson  Counties as possible areas of growth for new housing inventory.

Feels like Robertson County needs a large employer to move in to jumpstart its population growth - the near part of the county is all hills. But maybe the I-65 expansion up there is enough to lure the big subdivision developers up there.

• Like 1

The truth is other than folks raising hell in NW Davidson County about development there, the land could be developed much the same way it was developed in LA County. The problem is they would end up having the same issues with landslides and homes with foundation problems. It would be costly to do. Not to mention the issues with added runoff and stream buffer issues.

Another issue with that part of the county is there are no services at such as schools, fire, police, etc. The closest fire station is Station 24 on Clarksville Pike or Station 23 in the Nations which for some people is 20 minutes or more away if you live off of Bull Run Road. At Least Joelton has Station 30 now.

I’m from Northwest Davidson County and there’s a staggering amount of undeveloped and underutilized land that way. Not just there but Southwest Davidson past Bellevue and West towards Ashland City. Not sure why developers couldn’t mimic cities like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Chattanooga with housing and infrastructure in the hills. Heck there’s cities all over the planet that are built into mountains such as Hong Kong, Santiago Chile, Geneva Switzerland etc. 

I believe going forward Nashville is going to have to start getting creative with it’s land use.

Edited by jkc2j
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, jkc2j said:

I’m from Northwest Davidson County and there’s a staggering amount of undeveloped and underutilized land that way. Not just there but Southwest Davidson past Bellevue and West towards Ashland City. Not sure why developers couldn’t mimic cities like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Chattanooga with housing and infrastructure in the hills. Heck there’s cities all over the planet that are built into mountains such as Hong Kong, Santiago Chile, Geneva Switzerland etc. 

I believe going forward Nashville is going to have to start getting creative with it’s land use.

Lousy shopping, inadequate roads, poor infrastructure (paricularly water and sewage), lack of middle  to upper class development nodes,  poor land (lots of rock) Joelton/ Springfield.  Lots of other reasons why land is underutilized.  Old names of communities have poor to undesirable reputations  of being poor or hillbilly country.   Similarly, Goodletsville and Hendersonville are "better" reputations than say Madison or Ridgetop.  Old, old predudices IMO.

1 hour ago, Baronakim said:

Lousy shopping, inadequate roads, poor infrastructure (paricularly water and sewage), lack of middle  to upper class development nodes,  poor land (lots of rock) Joelton/ Springfield.  Lots of other reasons why land is underutilized.  Old names of communities have poor to undesirable reputations  of being poor or hillbilly country.   Similarly, Goodletsville and Hendersonville are "better" reputations than say Madison or Ridgetop.  Old, old predudices IMO.

I’ll go a little further that there’s still the racial and economical stigma as well since North Nashville, Bordeaux, and the  Brick Church Pk neighborhoods historically and culturally are predominantly Black and middle to working class. Mass development has never really hit those areas mainly due to the crime perception which kept developers and retailers from investing in those areas. Didn’t help that the city until very recently decided to start expanding the infrastructure that way. The widening of Clarksville Hwy being a prime example that should  have been done 20 years ago.

Edited by jkc2j
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The truth is other than folks raising hell in NW Davidson County about development there, the land could be developed much the same way it was developed in LA County. The problem is they would end up having the same issues with landslides and homes with foundation problems. It would be costly to do. Not to mention the issues with added runoff and stream buffer issues.

Another issue with that part of the county is there are no services at such as schools, fire, police, etc. The closest fire station is Station 24 on Clarksville Pike or Station 23 in the Nations which for some people is 20 minutes or more away if you live off of Bull Run Road. At Least Joelton has Station 30 now.

Northwest Davidson County could possibly be developed but in no way would it be "affordable", and Nashville needs affordable housing now, or like yesterday, or...or...when I left in 2015!

54 minutes ago, Nashvillain said:

Considering that it is fiscally unsustainable to finance sprawling development, why should Nashville rush to facilitate the development of Northwest Davidson County? I think Metro should prioritize development within the current UZO. Is there any neighborhood within the current UZO boundaries that anyone could consider overcrowded or fully developed?

Is more single-family housing needed? When it represents the overwhelming vast majority of the available housing stock within the county? Wouldn't it be better to build multi-family housing so that the people who prefer to live in denser urban environments actually have that option? 

In my opinion it’s all about giving people options. Not everyone wants to live in a multifamily development. Like it or not, single family homes aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Why not allow more single family homes in these areas (planned of course) to capture those whom would otherwise move to Rutherford, Wilson or Williamson counties thereby creating even more sprawl further outside the core. 

A similar argument tends to be made when discussing mass transit vs expanding roads. There’s room for both, as we know most people aren’t willing to give up their cars. There’s room for both multi family developments in the core neighborhoods and a single family homes in Davidson County.

Edited by jkc2j
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, jkc2j said:

In my opinion it’s all about giving people options. Not everyone wants to live in a multifamily development. Like it or not, single family homes aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Why not allow more single family homes in these areas (planned of course) to capture those whom would otherwise move to Rutherford, Wilson or Williamson counties thereby creating even more sprawl further outside the core. 

A similar argument tends to be made when discussing mass transit vs expanding roads. There’s room for both, as we know most people aren’t willing to give up their cars. There’s room for both multi family developments in the core neighborhoods and a single family homes in Davidson County.

Exactly my point. Since WW2, the only option in 98% of the country has been single family housing. Multi-family and mixed-use options are illegal in most areas throughout Davidson (and throughout the U.S.). Therefore, there is no "option." It's single family or nothing. In order to provide "options," we must prioritize, or even make possible, multi-family zoning

Edited by Nashvillain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2