Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

18 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

There was a time , that landing either convention was a moment of pride for any city . But in today’s hostile political climate, I agree that hosting is probably not in the best interest of any city. They should both be held in D.C where they are more easily accessible to government agencies and military personnel if needed. If things do get out of control ( more likely the case, then not) it will be a dark mark on Nashville, and potentially stop our “ boom city” momentum right in its tracks. Our city leaders need to be careful of what they wish for, as this is not a corporate convention of happy employees of the bankers association. It can ruin this city and destroy our beautiful downtown in minutes, should violence break out. As Titanhog mentioned, it’s just not worth the headache.

Or just have them someplace super remote like Honolulu or Anchorage so that it would be just too expensive for the vast majority of protesters to get out there or for some of the more nefarious organizations to organize bus convoys to get their more hysterical followers out there.  These conventions are little more than coronations anyway with very little intrigue.  Having them someplace remote and expensive would pretty much limit the attendees to those who legitimately are supposed to be there and maybe a few gawkers.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, natethegreat said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-27/nashville-is-being-transformed-by-luxury-tourism-development

bloomberg article today. As a resident, I am a fan of all these nice hotels.

That makes Nashville much more than Music City—and raises the question of how much luxury Tennessee’s capital will be able to support before its identity blurs. Already, the incredible population boom sustained in 2020 has abated, with the city recording a population decline in recent months; according to US Census Bureau data, Nashville lost 11,000 residents in 2021 following a decade of continuous growth.

Did Nashville really lose 11,000 residents in 2021?  Is it just people moving to the suburbs?

Seriously doubt it. There were several comments to this point a few months back, and someone mentioned that the division of Metro (I think under the mayor) that is charged with responding to data updates to the USCB either did not get the information to the DoC or failed to update it. And I understand there was a local TV/radio segment to this point. At the very least, I think lots of cities/states were knocked off their routines by the pandemic.  Sorry I can only pass on what I read here, but I did comment that this is the sort of thing the Chamber needs to make sure stays up-to-date. My concerns were two-fold: that word would get out that Nashville "lost population" (with a potential to diminish the press about the city's boom) and the lower '21 figures would be used as the basis for year-over-year population estimates through the end of the decade.  Regardless, I've noticed over the past several decades that the office responsible for collecting this data and vetting it has been too slow and wrong too often.  This does have implications on planning for infrastructure needs too. I've suggested that Metro allocate a budget item to conduct a special census in 2023 or 2024 to get ahead of the USCB midcensus estimates.. It may actually bring people across the county to respond, where a recent article mentioned that TN was among a half-dozen states where the population was undercounted in the '20 census (IIRC by 5+%!!!).  I really don't expect this mayor thinks this is a priority, and like so many things this will pass with no action. A special census can be promoted to residents in the inner rings as an effort to determine core infrastructure needs... and to the outer rings/county residents as "be counted" (as in "don't let the urban services districts get all the money") With effort and promotion, it would likely be more accurate than the '20 census (especially in light of the pandemic challenges then).  I expect many large cities will be doing this in the next couple of years. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2022 at 8:26 PM, dragonfly said:

Yes, office workers in the D.C. metro, the most uniformly uniparty region in the country, have this surprising characteristic of behaving in the counterparty manner on the job when the counterparty gains the top executive office. Always dumbfounding. 

Based on my experience working through three different administrations, I am very skeptical of this claim. Sure, some might try to sandbag, but the vast, vast majority of federal bureaucrats working in DC offices just do their jobs to the best of their ability (or at least enough of an ability that they don't get fired or re-shuffled to some closet office). The day-to-day is impacted very little by whoever is sitting in the big house on Pennsylvania Ave NW. 

If you have a study, journal article,  newspaper report...anything of substance supported by quantifiable evidence that would support the claim that government employees routinely are derelict in their duties in order to sabotage the efforts of a Presidential administration to author and enact lawful policies, I'd love to hear it so that I may re-calibrate my observations. 

*EDIT: Could a mod move this to the Coffee House? No need for me to keep this going in this thread.

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, markhollin said:

It looks like hosting the Republican National Convention in 2024 could cost the city as much as $100 million, and would basically lockdown most of the central district for 32 days. This would include MCC, Bridgestone Arena, Nissan Stadium, Ryman Auditorium; the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum; Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center; commercial spaces at downtown's Fifth + Broadway mixed-use development; and "bars on Broadway" from Rep. John Lewis Way (formerly Fifth Avenue) to Third Avenue.

The more I read, the more ridiculous this concept becomes from a fiscal as well as practical perspective.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/06/27/rnc-framework-agreement.html

Yeah, no. We're already gonna be on the hook for hundreds of millions (or a billion to two?) to keep the Titans in town. Be nice if Metro could forgo the expensive boondoggles for a generation or two and actually invest in the city

• Like 4

6 hours ago, natethegreat said:

I say we either host both at the same time or none at all. The former would be quite exciting.

Make them share the same venues.  What could go wrong? :rofl:

5 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

According to an article in the Nashville Scene, the governor asked the Nashville Convention and Visitors Bureau to submit bids for both the Republican and Democrat nominating conventions.

My preference would be that both conventions go to someplace far, far away. A remote island somewhere, perhaps.

Yeah…I saw where they said they’re going to try for the Republican convention in 2024…and Democrat convention in 2028.  

Don’t do it.  

1% of your market?  and when did the USA drop from the Music City tagline or is this the writers thoughts?  

anyway great story about your hotel boom especially on the luxury end yet I still cant find a hotel room at a decent rate especially if Friday or Saturday night. 

https://www.wealthmanagement.com/lodging-hotel/booming-nashville-being-transformed-luxury-tourism

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1