Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

1% of your market?  and when did the USA drop from the Music City tagline or is this the writers thoughts?  

anyway great story about your hotel boom especially on the luxury end yet I still cant find a hotel room at a decent rate especially if Friday or Saturday night. 

https://www.wealthmanagement.com/lodging-hotel/booming-nashville-being-transformed-luxury-tourism

Yes this was already posted and discussed a few posts up yesterday.

On 6/27/2022 at 8:57 AM, natethegreat said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-27/nashville-is-being-transformed-by-luxury-tourism-development

bloomberg article today. As a resident, I am a fan of all these nice hotels.

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 3:39 PM, BnaBreaker said:

I was opposed to this from the start, but now that I know that it would require the city pony up $100 million it doesn't have and require locking down half our CBD including our entire tourist/nightlife district for an entire month, in the words of Randy Jackson, "It's gonna be a (HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL) no from me dawg."  Seriously, why would any city subject itself to hosting either political convention other than to bring in tourists, which Nashville has no problem doing to begin with?

Not sure if it actually makes an impact, but for what it's worth here is an online petition to stop it from happening which is already up to 21K signatures:

https://www.change.org/p/mayor-cooper-metro-council-ncvc-no-nashville-gop-convention

EDIT: I know, the above has some political language in it, but if you're against the convention for any reason then it shouldn't matter if your reasons for opposing don't line up completely with everyone.  

100% against hosting either one. The only silver lining is the lockdown of the CBD to car traffic would be cool to see how a “pedestrian-first” downtown would look.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, andywildman said:

100% against hosting either one. The only silver lining is the lockdown of the CBD to car traffic would be cool to see how a “pedestrian-first” downtown would look.

See my post in the Transportation Mega Thread about Montreal's open streets during the pandemic. It should give you an idea

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Nashville's transpo-tainment industry has been cut in half via the new permitting process on Wednesday. 

The Metro Transportation Licensing Commission approved 89 permits of the 159 requested for large vehicles

The marathon meeting marked the most impactful steps to date in a years long effort to rein in Nashville's entertainment vehicle industry, which was largely unregulated until new legislation granted power to the MTLC last year. While the commission has long regulated smaller vehicles like pedal taverns, it began shaping rules for larger entertainment vehicles in April.

Commissioners deliberated for more than seven hours over how many permits to issue each business, with the goal of reducing the number of vehicles choking downtown streets.

The number of vehicle permits each business has represents the maximum number of vehicles that can operate on Nashville’s streets at the same time. 

More at TheTennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2022/06/30/nashville-party-vehicles-permits-shrink-half/7769239001/

"Of the 89 vehicle permits granted, 50 were for sightseeing vehicles."

What what what? So there is only going to be 39 party vehicles??? Good lord that is quite the chopping block. 

"Nashville Party Barge received four of the eight permits it requested."

The party barge? Like the one on the water?? There are so many confusing things in this article. 

Man, I get they are annoying to some folks, but yeesh, talk about destroying a fun thing for big parties to do.

I get they are an easy target since they are so visible, how about tackling better transit options and construction sites blocking lanes for months on end? Or hell even retiming traffic lights to actual traffic patterns. Feels like the city/council is just taking the easy road on this one. I do agree they need to be regulated by not choked out of existence. 

• Like 4

So, for everyone's information, I just hid the offensive remarks. I had to hide the rest because everyone quoted it! Just saying when you quote something, the whole thing will get deleted as well.  I have learned from my mistakes, and everyone here should as well. I am not going to go a banning spree. Just respect each other is all I am asking please. :tw_grin:

• Like 3

On 6/30/2022 at 11:41 AM, PaulChinetti said:

"Of the 89 vehicle permits granted, 50 were for sightseeing vehicles."

What what what? So there is only going to be 39 party vehicles??? Good lord that is quite the chopping block. 

"Nashville Party Barge received four of the eight permits it requested."

The party barge? Like the one on the water?? There are so many confusing things in this article. 

Man, I get they are annoying to some folks, but yeesh, talk about destroying a fun thing for big parties to do.

I get they are an easy target since they are so visible, how about tackling better transit options and construction sites blocking lanes for months on end? Or hell even retiming traffic lights to actual traffic patterns. Feels like the city/council is just taking the easy road on this one. I do agree they need to be regulated by not choked out of existence. 

Those things are an eye sore and deserve to get cut in half... it's embarrassing down there.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nashmoney said:

Found this video on YouTube. 

And this lady and gents is why we have the best fireworks display in nation. Plus the location is perfect. 

34 minutes of awesomeness! Fast forward to 29 minutes 

The finale is amazing. 

Now THAT is a fireworks display lol. Here in Downtown Orlando, they seem to only light 1-2 at a time until the very end where we finally get a sustained shower of fireworks. TBH, our Gay Pride fireworks are way better than 4th of July's display, but still no where near this level.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nashmoney said:

Found this video on YouTube. 

And this lady and gents is why we have the best fireworks display in nation. Plus the location is perfect. 

34 minutes of awesomeness! Fast forward to 29 minutes 

The finale is amazing. 

Unbelievable! We watched on a high hill 17 miles away and it was still impressive that far away. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

I just seen on news4 that the motion for the RNC has been withdrawn from tonight’s agenda of city council. What exactly does this mean? Are they not going to consider having it here?

BA8DBAA2-9ADC-425E-9E4C-E85AB016B2F0.png

I read something about it somewhere today (can’t remember where I read the article)…but it pretty much said the metro council doesn’t want the convention here…said there would be violence.  Of course, without them voting, I’m not sure if that’s true or not.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I read something about it somewhere today (can’t remember where I read the article)…but it pretty much said the metro council doesn’t want the convention here…said there would be violence.  Of course, without them voting, I’m not sure if that’s true or not.

Councilman Swope withdrew the bill to give The RNC and Metro more time to iron out "security issues" and he hopes to put it back on the agenda in mid-July

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/metro-council-to-withdraw-resolution-agreement-to-support-republican-national-convention-coming-to-nashville

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Just now, titanhog said:

Whether it’s the RNC or the DNC, who would want to host the madness that surrounds it?  However…it’s a shame that we’ve gotten to a place where either of these conventions have to fear the nut jobs from the other side.  It’s an important part of the process for both parties.  Eventually…all of these conventions may just have to go “online."

I agree it applies to both. I’m just saying there’s a selection factor of people that would want to spend their hard earned time + money to attend a polarized political conference. No one who is moderate / level-headed would attend these things. For that reason, I don’t want them coming to the city. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1