Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

I agree with all of the above comments. If they could just build a CC with just enough hotels for the attendees in Death Valley and have it there, that would be the perfect place. Then all of the nut jobs would either die getting there or die when they got there form the heat or lack of water. They would not even need security. Nature would take its course. The Park system could charge an entry fee of $50 per person just to get into the park and make money off the deal.

Let's make it a permanent location for both of the conventions.

This is why the moon makes the perfect location.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, rookzie said:

Just let the RNC convention go to Milwaukee. Besides, it hosted the 2020 DNC convention.

Given that the Wisconsin G.O.P. Senate's method of keeping past-appointed G.O.P. board members in office, by refusing to confirm replacements nominated by the state’s current Democratic Governor, effectively it has exploited a loophole that focuses on bureaucratic technical matters to seemingly “endorse” a scheme to seize unilateral control of state boards.  It’s done this consistently by declining to confirm appointments by the Governor.  The state Supreme Court recently upheld the state Senate’s intransigence in blocking (nearly) all appointments.

We don’t need to engender in Nashville the degree of historical polarity I’ve observed in Madison, Milwaukee, and Racine — and more recently, Kenosha.  IMO the state of volatility that has evolved in Wisconsin probably renders Milwaukee a better fit for absorbing the shockwaves that often have accompanied such “trophy” events.  Just sayin’..

Plus…it’s a swing state for both parties.  I always thought the parties wanted to go to swing states anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, titanhog said:

Plus…it’s a swing state for both parties.  I always thought the parties wanted to go to swing states anyway.

Great point....

I can understand those whose sentiment and theory supposes that increased spending in a state around a national convention increases total per-capita earnings  in the accommodations-,  retail-, and service sectors, and that a multiplier effect means that campaign spending would result in proportionally more dollars in the state economy.  The thing is, an accurate evaluation of economic benefit often fails to account for the offset effect by displacement of normal local commercial activities.   Roughly half of all security expenditures for these events is typically spent on non-local personnel, and wages earned by temporary workers often are not recirculated in the local economy, after the event has ended.  Therefore, it can be questionable whether or not such spending should even count as economic impact for the hosting city.

Beyond that, it would seem somewhat short-sighted to host a national convention, with respect to the targeted benefit of the national convention itself, as far as wide-range party-induced influence on delegate selection of party nominees is concerned.  Tennessee has been reliably Republican as a whole,  since the mid-late 20th century, although actually had been considered a swing state during much of that period.  Nowadays, both the Democratic Party and Republican Party usually have only held their conventions in swing states.  It would just seem to be somewhat of a waste to host the RNC (or the DNC) in a state which already has evolved into having a "cemented", "hard-wired" party affiliation ─ not to say that the pendulum wouldn't swing back to the other way before the turn of 22nd century.

Edited by rookzie
22nd, not 22st! [Tacky..]
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rookzie said:

Great point....

I can understand those whose sentiment and theory supposes that increased spending in a state around a national convention increases total per-capita earnings  in the accommodations-,  retail-, and service sectors, and that a multiplier effect means that campaign spending would result in proportionally more dollars in the state economy.  The thing is, an accurate evaluation of economic benefit often fails to account for the offset effect by displacement of normal local commercial activities.   Roughly half of all security expenditures for these events is typically spent on non-local personnel, and wages earned by temporary workers often are not recirculated in the local economy, after the event has ended.  Therefore, it can be questionable whether or not such spending should even count as economic impact for the hosting city.

Beyond that, it would seem somewhat short-sighted to host a national convention, with respect to the targeted benefit of the national convention itself, as far as wide-range party-induced influence on delegate selection of party nominees is concerned.  Tennessee has been reliably Republican as a whole,  since the mid-late 20th century, although actually had been considered a swing state during much of that period.  Nowadays, both the Democratic Party and Republican Party usually have only held their conventions in swing states.  It would just seem to be somewhat of a waste to host the RNC (or the DNC) in a state which already has evolved into having a "cemented", "hard-wired" party affiliation ─ not to say that the pendulum wouldn't swing back to the other way before the turn of 22st century.

Yep.  I’ve gone back and looked at states just over the past 60-70 years…and it’s amazing how many swing back and forth.  Even California used to be a Republican state.  Tennessee was pretty much a Democrat state until the late 90’s, early 2000’s.  Of course, there used to always be exceptions…like when guys like Nixon or Reagan swept most every state.  I’m sure Kennedy would have swept most Republican states in 64, if not for Oswald.  There will probably be a day when the south is Democrat again…and NY and CA are Republican again.  Times change.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, titanhog said:

Yep.  I’ve gone back and looked at states just over the past 60-70 years…and it’s amazing how many swing back and forth.  Even California used to be a Republican state.  Tennessee was pretty much a Democrat state until the late 90’s, early 2000’s.  Of course, there used to always be exceptions…like when guys like Nixon or Reagan swept most every state.  I’m sure Kennedy would have swept most Republican states in 64, if not for Oswald.  There will probably be a day when the south is Democrat again…and NY and CA are Republican again.  Times change.

And times will change again. Everyone thinks that they will stay the same, but they will not. The pendulum will swing back the other way, but it just takes time. That will be the hard truth the Dems are learning now and will be the hard truth the hard-core conservatives will learn in about 10 years when Millennials and gen X & Z's take over and the Boomers start dying out in droves.  At the end of this decade is when the Boomers will start to take a huge numbers hit. That will not bode well for states like Florida, North Carolina, and a few others that have a lot of retired people and are very close as far as swing states. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

What's unfortunate is there are plenty of the younger generations that sit on the "far ends" of the political spectrum nowadays, and it blows my mind. I agree with all the sentiments above in that the conventions can get out (and go to the moon please) and the swinging of the politics. I think we are at a point now, country-wise, that the pendulum swing is at its far reaches and Nashville/TN is kind of an example of that. The state has viewed some of the moves by the city as far left and the city views the state as far right, these are at the outer swings of the pendulum and it is obviously hurting the common person a lot more than any politician will want to admit.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

What's silly (humorous even) about our entire political spectrum is that to the rest of the world, even the most far left are still considering barley liberal or even center of the road.

On a more Nashville note, I heard on that radio this morning that Nashville is expected to have the hottest temperature in the entire US today, go Nashville!

From NashSevereWx - "Excessive Heat Warning for the afternoon, heat index as high as 110°+ due to mid 70°s dewpoints and a high temp of 98°"

Edited by PaulChinetti
addition
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

From NashSevereWx - "Excessive Heat Warning for the afternoon, heat index as high as 110°+ due to mid 70°s dewpoints and a high temp of 98°"

Well you know everyone says …. Nashville’s Hot :tw_grin:. Ha ha, anyway I was just out at a construction site here in Lebanon for a friend, and it is extremely uncomfortable. A/C in truck is cranking!!

• Haha 3

On the topic of elections, but not relating to partisan debate, I was reviewing the Davidson County sample ballot and saw that the Charter Amendment No. 4 question discusses the creation of a Dept of Transportation and Multimodal Infrastructure in place of the Dept of Public Works. Didn't this restructuring functionally already happen a year ago? And if so, what would happen if the amendment ended up being rejected?

• Like 1