Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

8 minutes ago, titanhog said:

1. Wisconsin makes sense because it’s a swing state.

2. Nashville Council made it all but known they did not want it…so really, Milwaukee was the only choice in the end.

3. All for the best.

2. Milwaukee city council also made it clear they did not want, I believe.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 12:06 PM, markhollin said:

Technology/Advice LLC will be expanding with 350 new jobs at their current location at 3343 Perimeter Hill Drive. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/technology/local-b2b-tech-marketing-firm-to-create-350-jobs/article_d0c89ccc-06b7-11ed-892a-f73204d25139.html

They used to have a really cool building off Nolensville Pike not too far from Wedgewood-Houston. I'm surprised that a startup tech company with lots of young employees moved that far out. But I guess if you need the space for all these new hires...

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 3:31 PM, markhollin said:

A couple more large job announcements:

- Energybox (tech company small and mid-sized businesses to automate operations and reduce energy usage) of NYC will be relocating to Nashville (perhaps Germantown) bringing 250 jobs that average $67 per hour. 25% will be coming from Morristown, NJ.

- Quanta Manufacturing (assemblers of racks & servers for cloud computing) is pledging another 546 jobs over 5 years as they expand their operation in LaVerne.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/07/26/energybox-highland-tnecd.html

The State of Tennessee really came through with those incentive payouts.

• Like 1

I really wish the owners of this building would do something about the lighting. You can see in this picture the light in the bottom red circle has been flickering for months, and now it appears the light at the top of the spire is blown out. It would be nice if the lights were the same color white and brightness as the pedestrian bridge. 

1F478B14-C084-4AB6-906C-15918EB314FD.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nashville born said:

image.png.cd147f0d3196aed80fb4dcdb709fb6fe.png

I imagine zoning is different in this area, yet I'm wondering if any developers are looking to continue the residential development happening around the ballpark here.  Lot of parking lots in this shot.

There are not as many parking lots as you think would be available for development in this photo.  There are  two large block sized ones by the railroad, but most are to small plots or owned by Metro or the State which are going to unlikely to be available.  I think  sale and teardown of the remaining private businesses mat well happen though as the transition to residential around the ballpark is very strong and Germantown  growth is awesome.  My biggest expectation for another big development ihere is just above the top of this photo.  Two big parcels are ripe for development, a block sized parking lot at the foot of the bridge and old one story commercial  stuctures across 3rd from the ballpark IMO.  I don't think existing zoning is going to be a huge obstacle.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Nashville named least eco friendly city. We need a good news/bad news thread. They have one on the Charlotte board. We need to man up and take the bad with the good here. It can’t be rainbows and sunshine all the time. We are fooling ourselves if we think it is.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news/nashville/nashville-named-the-least-eco-friendly-city-in-the-united-states/

Perhaps we should post this in the Mass Transit thread as well...

Edited by nashville born
  • Like 1

Nashville is anticipated to outpace the U.S. in growth rates, when considering gross domestic product, employment, population, spending, and house prices, according to Colliers annual Nashville Commercial Real Estate Index. 

The city exceeds the nation's house price growth by 5.1%,  employment growth by 1.2%, and population growth by 0.8%.

The real estate management service forecasts that in the next four years, Nashville will outpace the U.S. growth rate in house prices by 2.2% and population growth by 0.7%. 

More behind The Tennessean paywall here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2022/08/03/colliers-report-predicts-nashville-outpace-u-s-economic-growth/10167150002/

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 6.15.57 AM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dmillsphoto said:

Here's the names and votes last night for the final (successful NO) vote on hosting the RNC

https://i.redd.it/vytirrcsmef91.jpg

Kinda surprised council even held a vote on the matter. The site selection committee recommended back in mid-July to go with Milwaukee, but I guess this was a formality because the entire RNC has not approved the site as of yet. 

I also find it interesting that Freddie OConnell abstained from the vote. Since his district would benefit/suffer most from any convention coming to town, I would think he would want to have some form of opinion on the matter. Am I missing a conflict type thing here or could this be something politically motivated (since he is running for mayor and all)?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Kinda surprised council even held a vote on the matter. The site selection committee recommended back in mid-July to go with Milwaukee, but I guess this was a formality because the entire RNC has not approved the site as of yet. 

I also find it interesting that Freddie OConnell abstained from the vote. Since his district would benefit/suffer most from any convention coming to town, I would think he would want to have some form of opinion on the matter. Am I missing a conflict type thing here or could this be something politically motivated (since he is running for mayor and all)?

I would declare "Bingo".

With O'Connell having announced his candidacy for mayor, the Council vote kinda put him between a rock and a hard place.  O'Connell probably has had some serious ambivalence, given that a draft agreement would have closed down the majority of the city's downtown business and tourism district to non-convention traffic for the duration of the convention.  So a vote other than 'A'bstain ─ in its own right ─ could have been (or even would have been) to his detriment.

So, that said, I'm not really that surprised he abstained, even though he was quoted as having stated that it would have been difficult to support the convention ordinance without the mayor’s office backing it.  In the July voting, he said he might have voted for it, if he  had felt that the administration (Mayor's Office) had been transparent in its position to explain either why the Council should support the agreement or why they negotiated it if they didn’t support it.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1