Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, bnacincy said:

We've had Raising Cane's up here for a while.....pretty decent stuff for fast food....should do well on Lower Broad.

I really don't understand the appeal of a restaurant that only sells chicken fingers personally, but I do think that if a place like that exists, Lower Broad is the perfect location for it.  I'm sure they'll do bang up business down there. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Is anybody planning to do anything about the hundreds of junkies roaming the streets downtown? I know it’s a tough issue, but I thought it was made illegal? Just this morning outside of the library, junkies screaming at other each loud so loud the cops had to come. The whole stretch from the library to the capital building is a mess.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I misread that at first, I thought you were talking about the library junkies! You know how those veracious readers are. JK.

It is the same on Saturdays when we are having our meets sometimes. These people are not just yelling at each other but just screaming at the world. Mentally ill folks or just plain high, you just never know anymore.

Is the park out of control again, or is this just the crazy group waiting to get inside the library to mess the restrooms up?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I misread that at first, I thought you were talking about the library junkies! You know how those veracious readers are. JK.

It is the same on Saturdays when we are having our meets sometimes. These people are not just yelling at each other but just screaming at the world. Mentally ill folks or just plain high, you just never know anymore.

Is the park out of control again, or is this just the crazy group waiting to get inside the library to mess the restrooms up?

The park is better because they usually have security guards. But the whole area around the library and the surrounding blocks is a mess. It’s really frustrating to see tourists get bothered by them.

• Like 1

Looks as if Metro needs to hire Library Police at several branches. I can think of two right off the bat. Downtown and Looby. Both of these have had problems all be it different kinds of problems. The downtown branch we all know about and the Looby branch has had issues with youth causing problems outside the branch in the parking lot. A lot of that has to do with the Community Center being attached to the library and I think that is the main problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MontanaGuy said:

I agree but there's one unpleasant fact about the whole situation that we don't know how to address.  There's a population of people in this country who will never be able to take care of themselves no matter what we do and no amount of good will, money or treatment is going to change that.  I think the most humane thing would be to house them in institutions where they're not allowed to leave and to make every effort to weed out the few who might respond to treatment to give them a path forward.  That's going to sound barbaric to some but when they make their own decisions they always end up hurting themselves or innocent people around them.  I don't like the sound of it either but I've never heard a realistic solution that would actually work.  

Point taken, and I don't necessarily disagree in principle or consider your position to be a different side of the coin.  I think we all agree that the bottom line is that these people should be off the streets, for the sake of everyone, including themselves.  Especially themselves.  It would be difficult if not impossible to provide housing, jobs training, drug treatment, psychiatric support etc. etc. to each one of them, so perhaps the answer is to put those that have been out there for longer than a year or more (because sometimes people are just temporarily down on their luck)  in a sort of halfway house facility in which they can seek help if that is indeed an option, or simply be kept indefinitely in a sort of low security nursing home  style set up in which care and visitation are provided if it is deemed that they are beyond assistance.  I just don't think an endless cycle of tossing them in prison for a few months, letting them rot there and become even more unstable and dependent on drugs, then let them back out onto the streets in even worse shape is the answer.  

55 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

If the same kind of crap with the homeless junkies was happening on Church Street when THIS photo was taken, I think the problem would have lasted about 10 minutes.  Mollycoddling them is not going to work.  Having worked for decades with homeless, I think these folks are clearly a danger to public safety.

image.jpeg

I'd be curious to know what capacity you worked with the homeless if your ultimate conclusion was that "those folks" are all a danger to society.  

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 8/8/2022 at 7:28 PM, Nash_12South said:

Batey Gresham, co-founder of Gresham Smith has passed away. 

https://www.wsmv.com/2022/08/08/batey-gresham-co-founder-gresham-smith-dies-age-88/

My dad told me about this on Sunday, he worked for Batey at Gresham, Smith and Partners for 40 years. Batey was a good man and a big name in the industry. He'll be missed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Just found out 2nd Ave South was renamed to President Ronald Reagan Way from KVB to Lindsley. Strange how this crap sneaks past me.

226 PLDT 202201026 - MPC Downtown Code 623 PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN WAY 2022DTC-053-001         Open

Speaking of the homelessness problem......

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

If they want to change the names of the streets, then give them their original street names back-Market Street, Vine Street, etc.....

I don't like using numbers for streets-I particularly don't like the name "12th south neigborhood"....I wish they would call it something like "Sevier Park", after the nearby park.

• Like 1