Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Also from the amazing list from@smeagolsfree is an observation of buildings by decade.

Period         Skyscraper Count
1950-59    1
1960-69    0
1970-79    3
1980-89    5
1990-99    1
2000-09    1
2010-19    8
2020-22    11

So from the 1950 to 2019,  28 buildings were built. 
Compared to 11 buildings in just the last 3 years.  Guesses for the count for 2020-29 ?

Edited by rolly
Correction; Added ATT tower for the 90's.
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, rolly said:

Also from the amazing list from@smeagolsfree is an observation of buildings by decade.

1950-59    1
1960-69    0
1970-79    3
1980-89    5
1990-99    0
2000-09    1
2010-19    8
2020-22    11

So from the 1950 to 2019,  28 buildings were built. 
Compared to 11 buildings in just the last 3 years.  Guesses for the count for 2020-29 ?

I believe Batman was built in the early 90s.  Sometime around 92-94. 

On 9/17/2022 at 6:41 PM, KJHburg said:

I hear from reliable sources that these party wagons, buses, tractors etc have been throttled back.  But I saw them everywhere today and suprised how far they go outside of the downtown core.   And the line for the Wings mural was crazy long!  (first photo)   Now remember these tourists are the ones filling up your hotels as Nashville is in the big leagues of party goers in the country along with Miami, Vegas etc.   Nashville has to be the day drinking capital of the US.  

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

I DJ own those sometimes. I always start out the first leg with that cool and famous tune: ice ice baby.

• Haha 3

On 9/17/2022 at 4:29 PM, smeagolsfree said:

He must be living under a rock as that was a stupid question.

If it is YOU KNOW WHO either go away now or you will be sent away! If not ask a good question.

That is a good question. The administration is touting the jobs number increase and gas price decrease as proof that the economy is doing very well. Are we to believe you over them? Don't write a bad review here.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Holladay Properties is seeking a location in the area--most likely suburban, for a Project ECHO Hotel, which is a Wyndham Hotels & Resorts brand.  Holladay is planning multiples of the brand in the Nashville area eventually. The prototype requires about two acres, with the buildings to offer approximately 50,000 square feet and 124 individual rooms with an average 300 square feet.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/nashville-slated-for-new-hotel-concept/article_ba8a8b4e-3ab7-11ed-96ff-3360add741d6.html

A generic Project ECHO design:

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 12.17.24 PM.png

On 9/20/2022 at 3:21 PM, rolly said:

1950-59    1
1960-69    0

I'm going to intervene since I was there, coming of age and fascinated by big human stuff,, getting engineering trained. So in '67 there were two 20 story buildings completed. One was the Third National Bank headquarters on the Maxwell House former site at Church across from L&C and the other one is that ugly thing near James Robertson pkwy, maybe not quite 20. The National Life building at 31 stories was complete in late'68 (and the prototype for the 2 taller Shell buildings in Houston and NO). So by 1969 the city had 4 complete high rises and one under construction on Deadrick, a state office I think at 17 stories. That UBS tower was announced in early '72 by First American NB. And the Hyatt House completed in '75. I left for the last time in '75 so can't date stuff since then except for the major exciting thermal plant announced in '74 which I guess ended up not that exciting.

BTW the Snodgrass tower got a famous visitor in the early '70's when Ringo Starr was quoted in an elevator; a joke that made it to a page in the Tennessean. He was probably visiting McCartney who lived on a farm near Mt. Juliett for half a year. There may have been an observation deck at that time.

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think “targeted to younger children” is the key here. I agree that Nashville doesn’t have a children’s museum that targets children under 6. I’ve heard great things about the adventure science center, but it also frequently comes with a comment like “you really need to wait until your kids are a little older for them to enjoy it.” The closest thing we have is the Discovery Center in Murfreesboro. I think a true Children’s Museum would do really well, but I get why it’s not popular on here as well. 

• Like 4

I think the term 'museum'  is really outdated for all of these for the most part.  The definition of a museum is " building in which objects of historical, scientific, artistic, or cultural interest are stored and exhibited."  The more successful of these are highly interactive and in years past, the Cumberland Science has had many that young children couls walk thruough and  overscaled like making them feel bug sized or inside a body system.  I think these are more of "activity" centers than exhibit based. to some extent good daycares and kindergardens provide this leaving larger scale concepts to "Children's Museums".  As the internet and theme parks have had enourmous increases in attendance, I feel the kind of service proposed here is much more limited than it would have been 20 years or so ago.  Kids are much more advanced in this century than last.  Instead of learning about fairy tales by having them read to them by granny, they can watch them in live action Dolby 4K at home making good exhibits  perhaps a bit underwhelming.  Existing facilities are good to have and will continue to be well used, but I have doubts that new ones are necessary to build.  Many of my criticisms of Storyville Gardens areof a similar bent.  Truely popular venues are incredibly expensive and immersive like Hogworts or Disney Star Wars.  Those I think are the future of children's activity centers.

Edited by Baronakim

Nashville will spend $50 million in one-time federal funds in a multipronged approach to address homelessness.

Metro Council approved on Tuesday the use of American Rescue Plan Funds for a four-part plan backed by Mayor John Cooper's administration. The funding includes:

$25 million in low-cost loans for developers to bring units of deeply affordable housing online quickly

$9 million to support temporary housing

$9 million toward housing-first supportive services

$7 million in competitive grants to incentivize landlords and developers to relax barriers to housing

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2022/10/05/nashville-approves-50million-in-one-time-federal-funds-for-homelessness/69539747007/

• Like 4

Sad news: One of Nashville's leading developers, Mr. Pat Emery, has passed away today at age 72 after a long battle with cancer and Parkinson's disease.  Pat is best known for his grand vision on 5th + Broadway, as well as major office parks in Cool Springs, West End Park Hill, as well as in partnerships with David Wells and Fred Hall redeveloping sites in Music Row and elsewhere. Recently, Emery announced his affiliation with the team working to bring education-focused theme park Storyville to the area.

Prior to his work in Nashville, Emery's 40 year development career also included work in Charlotte, Tulsa, Denver, San Antonio and Kansas City.

Blessings and peace to Emery's family and friends during this time of loss. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/people/veteran-cre-pro-pat-emery-dies-at-72/article_b83efa1c-436f-11ed-8415-b3602a922644.html

And behind The Tennessean paywall here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2022/10/05/pat-emery-nashville-obituary-died-developer-patrick/69535792007/

And at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/10/05/real-estate-developer-pat-emery-dies.html

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 4.38.10 PM.png

Pat (left) with his business partner, Fred Hall, in 2017:

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 4.38.24 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 12