Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

The problem has never really been with event tourism. Those events are usually better policed and better controlled than the day to day life on Broadway. When you want to dismiss the concerns about the increased rowdiness on Broadway, consider where the voices are coming from. Is it really in the best interest of property owners, whether they be residential properties, commercial owners, downtown business and tourism leaders to bad mouth their home turf? And now with bar owners joining in, are they all really exaggerating that much. In going to my car, yesterday, on the upper floor of downtown parking garage I had to by pass where someone had pretty recently hurled, and it was 2pm in the afternoon, and this is not unusual.  

Well, comments about folks hurling on Broadway are certainly in the right thread...Bits and Pieces.  Other cities and cultures have solved this problem with bodily wastes though but these solutions do not fit well into our perceptions of decorum.    When there are no  convenient facilities for bodily wastes where there are dense crowds, I'm afraid we must accept the results, in this case case defecating, urinating and vomiting on city sidewalks.  You can't blame all of this on the homeless either, as it happens with bridezillas and businessmen too when they overimbibe.  The ancient Romans had large public toilets and vomitoriums throughout their cities and more recently the French have pissiors even being installed today.   I expect that we will continue to deal with human frailties as long as we pack our entertainment districts so densely.  As an architect, I do have a suggestion that will likely reduce the occurances though.  As many of the venues are in older structures,  restrooms are jammed into too small existing spaces due to the owners wanting to maximize their cash producing areas.  Many I have seen are pathetically inadeqate and very nasty due to long lines for use and surfaces difficult to keep clean.   For instance, I would almost rather use a port-o-potty than the tiny restrooms off the dining area at a popular barbeque joint over on Gleaves Street in the Gulch.  Until better facilites are required, Nashvillians will just have to bear it.  Note that I am not addressing the rowdyness problem... that is a separate issue IMO.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

The homeless weren't on the 6th floor of the garage I typically park on. It's tourists, I see them in the garage every day I park there, and 90% of them are totally no problem. This type stuff is worse than in my 26 years of parking downtown.  I currently work downtown 3 days a week. These are my experiences. For the most part I've grown to ignore all the issues and just accept it's part if downtown life. But it is worse now.  Just my opinion, we have enough rules/laws in place now to handle things...if they were just enforced.

Reading all of these comments kind of concerns me.  I just put my house up for sale in Hendersonville and I'm going to put an offer on a condo in the Viridian on Church street.  I sure hope I'm not making a mistake!

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

The problem has never really been with event tourism. Those events are usually better policed and better controlled than the day to day life on Broadway. When you want to dismiss the concerns about the increased rowdiness on Broadway, consider where the voices are coming from. Is it really in the best interest of property owners, whether they be residential properties, commercial owners, downtown business and tourism leaders to bad mouth their home turf? And now with bar owners joining in, are they all really exaggerating that much. In going to my car, yesterday, on the upper floor of downtown parking garage I had to by pass where someone had pretty recently hurled, and it was 2pm in the afternoon, and this is not unusual.  

The guy from Kid Rock's place was talking about the homeless and their lewd signs. The guy from Acme was crying about people not coming here for the moosic. So it looks like he's whining because people are taking selfies on the most famous street in the country. 

Well maybe it was from some lawyer who didn't make partner.

7 minutes ago, MontanaGuy said:

Reading all of these comments kind of concerns me.  I just put my house up for sale in Hendersonville and I'm going to put an offer on a condo in the Viridian on Church street.  I sure hope I'm not making a mistake!

I have friends that live there, it's amazing. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

The homeless weren't on the 6th floor of the garage I typically park on. It's tourists, I see them in the garage every day I park there, and 90% of them are totally no problem. This type stuff is worse than in my 26 years of parking downtown.  I currently work downtown 3 days a week. These are my experiences. For the most part I've grown to ignore all the issues and just accept it's part if downtown life. But it is worse now.  Just my opinion, we have enough rules/laws in place now to handle things...if they were just enforced.

I live out in the sticks.  I piss in my fields when i need to and have to avold stepping in cow patties too.  When you have concentrated  numbers of human beings , you must accept the inevitable consequences of their collective behaviors.  I stated in my post that the homeless were not singularly responsible for the problem, nor do I affix blame on  just tourists as just did you.  Incidents from illness or overindulgence happen in proportion to event type and density.  I mentioned some observations in my capacities as an architect.  You have crowds, you get increased problem results.  The venues pay more attention to the buck than the puke.  I disagree "rules and enforcement" are realistic solutions to the problem.  IMO inprovement in facilities would better ameliorate the problem.  Crap happens.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, MontanaGuy said:

That section of Downtown is probably may favorite, love the large trees along Church Street, not too close to Broadway but also not too far. Will be very close to all that is going on at Nashville Yards. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

That section of Downtown is probably may favorite, love the large trees along Church Street, not too close to Broadway but also not too far. Will be very close to all that is going on at Nashville Yards. 

It's really appealing to me too!  My realtor also lives in that building and he really likes it.  Hopefully it can happen soon!

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 7:38 AM, Nash_12South said:

, on the upper floor of downtown parking garage I had to by pass where someone had pretty recently hurled, and it was 2pm in the afternoon, and this is not unusual.  

I was NOWHERE NEAR the upper floor of your parking garage at 2pm that day ...:whistling:

• Haha 2