Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Thought this was interesting video. The "This is interesting" channel discusses geography on youtube and appearantly ranks Jacksonville, Virginia Beach and Memphis along with Charlotte Houston and Atlanta in the tier one caterory ahead of both Nashville and Raleigh in tier two lol.

It's clear this guy just randomly typed cities in Google and just used the first resources that popped up. Apparently there's some sites that still list Nashville being the smaller city.

Here's the video:

Can skip to the 29:24 mark.

Here's a link to a site called macrotrends that lists the Nashville MSA at 1.2 million? Not sure how they got that number but it seems theres a lot of incorrect data out there.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/23077/nashville/population%23:~:text%3DThe%20metro%20area%20population%20of,a%202.04%25%20increase%20from%202019.&ved=2ahUKEwj1_fz84cX8AhWkQjABHUiRBKgQFnoECBEQBQ&usg=AOvVaw1wjZwdFQdEHQQ_6_li9k06

Edited by jkc2j

2 hours ago, jkc2j said:

Thought this was interesting video. The "This is interesting" channel discusses geography on youtube and appearantly ranks Jacksonville, Virginia Beach and Memphis along with Charlotte Houston and Atlanta in the tier one caterory ahead of both Nashville and Raleigh in tier two lol.

It's clear this guy just randomly typed cities in Google and just used the first resources that popped up. Appearlantly there's some sites that still list Nashville being the smaller city.

Here's the video:

Can skip to the 29:24 mark.

Here's a link to a site called macrotrends that lists the Nashville MSA at 1.2 million? Not sure how they got that number but it seems theres a lot of incorrect data out there.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/23077/nashville/population%23:~:text%3DThe%20metro%20area%20population%20of,a%202.04%25%20increase%20from%202019.&ved=2ahUKEwj1_fz84cX8AhWkQjABHUiRBKgQFnoECBEQBQ&usg=AOvVaw1wjZwdFQdEHQQ_6_li9k06

The link you posted lists it's source as The United Nations Population Prospects, whatever that is, which can be found at this link: https://population.un.org/wpp/  No idea what their methodology is, and quite frankly I don't care enough to look.  lol

And the video you posted... yikes... this is one of those videos made by someone who just sort of likes to hear themselves talk, I think.  The fact that he has Jacksonville and New York in "tier 1," whatever the hell that means, kinda tells you all you need to know about how accurate this guy cares to be.  haha

• Like 1

Yea, this guy is a little bit nuts and doesn't understand what he is really talking about. The problem is he is trying to get too much information out in just 2 videos and that can't be done effectively. These days to put all of Appalachia together as one region is a little stupid. I do not think it is a region within itself. Huntsville is so different than Upstate New York or the Highlands of VA, W VA and NC. The economics of those areas of Appalachia are night and day. So are the people. This guy is stupid beyond belief.

I know he covered this in the video, but his choice was a mistake.  He should have put the rust belt in a region by itself. 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 7:48 AM, smeagolsfree said:

Yea, this guy is a little bit nuts and doesn't understand what he is really talking about. The problem is he is trying to get too much information out in just 2 videos and that can't be done effectively. These days to put all of Appalachia together as one region is a little stupid. I do not think it is a region within itself. Huntsville is so different than Upstate New York or the Highlands of VA, W VA and NC. The economics of those areas of Appalachia are night and day. So are the people. This guy is stupid beyond belief.

I know he covered this in the video, but his choice was a mistake.  He should have put the rust belt in a region by itself. 

I agree, it is too much info for him to dissect.

New Orleans should be in a region all its own - distinct in culture (music, food, accent, etc.) from the rest of the South.  To his credit though, he did say the regions could be configured in many different ways. 

Butch Spyridon will retire from the Nashville Convention & Visitors Corp. on June 30, after 32 years as its leader, according to a news release.

Visitors Corp. President Deana Ivey will assume the role of president and CEO on July 1. Ivey joined the Visitors Corp. 25 years ago and was named president a year ago.

Spyridon will continue working with the Visitors Corp. as a strategic consultant under a two-year contract. His focus will be attracting major events to Nashville including the Rugby World Cup and a Super Bowl — if a new Tennessee Titans stadium is approved — as well as bringing more international flights to Nashville.

Under Spyridon's leadership since 1991, the NCVC has guided Nashville to be a top leisure and convention destination — ranking as the top sixth city in the country for meetings. Spyridon has had a hand in securing Nashville's professional sports team and their respective stadiums — Nissan Stadium, Bridgestone Arena and Geodis Park — and led the charge to bring economy boosting events to Nashville over the years, including the 2019 NFL Draft.

The Events Industry Council inducted Spyridon into the Hall of Leaders at its  2022 Global Awards and was included in the Top 100 Most Influential People in the Event Industry 2022.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/01/20/butch-spyridon-retire-from-nashville-convention-an.html

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Butch Spyridon will retire from the Nashville Convention & Visitors Corp. on June 30, after 32 years as its leader, according to a news release.

Visitors Corp. President Deana Ivey will assume the role of president and CEO on July 1. Ivey joined the Visitors Corp. 25 years ago and was named president a year ago.

Spyridon will continue working with the Visitors Corp. as a strategic consultant under a two-year contract. His focus will be attracting major events to Nashville including the Rugby World Cup and a Super Bowl — if a new Tennessee Titans stadium is approved — as well as bringing more international flights to Nashville.

Under Spyridon's leadership since 1991, the NCVC has guided Nashville to be a top leisure and convention destination — ranking as the top sixth city in the country for meetings. Spyridon has had a hand in securing Nashville's professional sports team and their respective stadiums — Nissan Stadium, Bridgestone Arena and Geodis Park — and led the charge to bring economy boosting events to Nashville over the years, including the 2019 NFL Draft.

The Events Industry Council inducted Spyridon into the Hall of Leaders at its  2022 Global Awards and was included in the Top 100 Most Influential People in the Event Industry 2022.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/01/20/butch-spyridon-retire-from-nashville-convention-an.html

Good, however the person that replaces him will probably be just as clueless.

• Confused 5

9 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Actually, I think Butch has done a tremendous job.   Our city's tourism, convention business, and national profile has grown exponentially under his leadership.  I may not agree with everything he has put in motion, but overall he deserves very high marks.

Selling out to the lowest common denominator or whatever made an immediate buck with no balanced long term vision and zero consideration for the impact on Nashville's livability, may have been a fine strategy when Nashville was an upstart in the 90's/early 2000's,  but that unaltered attitude led by Butch has infected this City's id, and has wrought major problems and in many ways, a true identity crisis.     

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

Bingo. His job was to promote Nashville.  I can't see how anyone thinks he wasn't doing the job he was hired to do. 

But promoting Nashville in one trick pony fashion,  that Nashville is always just saying "yes,  we will take whatever big events you are selling, completely on your terms, do whatever you want here without regard to the wellbeing of the city overall" is not a viable strategy in the long term and does not show long term vision to sell and promote Nashville in a diverse manner,  in a way that  contemplates and encompasses  Nashville's full portfolio of arts, cultural and other offerings.   Sure,  he has been a good cheerleader in very one dimensional fashion,   but that has not been what Nashville needed in that role at least in the last 5-10 years when the city no longer needed to be the desperate status climber..... 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

The blandness is for real though. I was able to pick out all the ones in the article because of UP but I doubt a normal person could. 

Same. I had to guess on one of them (but still got it right), but the similarity of the buildings is remarkable. When I was in Seattle earlier this month, I noticed how a lot of their new lowrise apartment buildings look identical to ours (I wasn't surprised, but seeing it in person is pretty interesting). They're cookie cutter....just like most suburban SFH neighborhoods going up. They could be anywhere. Just change the scenery around it and plop it in.

But while I lament the fundamental lack of architectural creativity, I do think that, especially for a city like Nashville, we're going to have to put up with that sort of thing to keep up with housing demand. Nashville, especially, is also playing catch-up in terms of urban housing...and while I would like to see developers put more into their products (some do, btw) -- I don't think we need to get too strict on design standards, or we could end up stifling our own growth and affecting affordability at the same time.

It will be interesting to see how time treats some of these buildings. In 30-50 years, I'm sure we'll see a number of them razed, and some remodeled to give them an updated look. Some, I'm sure, will stay mostly original. I will wonder then if the ghost of @East Side Urbanite will be romanticizing them the same way he does with brutish 1960s era architecture.😄

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

But while I lament the fundamental lack of architectural creativity, I do think that, especially for a city like Nashville, we're going to have to put up with that sort of thing to keep up with housing demand. Nashville, especially, is also playing catch-up in terms of urban housing...and while I would like to see developers put more into their products (some do, btw) -- I don't think we need to get too strict on design standards, or we could end up stifling our own growth and affecting affordability at the same time.

Oh I agree, throw them up, get people housing. We are still getting cool and interesting architecture I think. I imagine in 15-20 years, these will be replaced for something taller, more dense as the city continues to hopefully expand up. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

When I was in Seattle earlier this month, I noticed how a lot of their new lowrise apartment buildings look identical to ours (I wasn't surprised, but seeing it in person is pretty interesting).

I spend about half the year at my house on Whidbey Island and I concur. There are a ton of Haven-like structures along the new light-rail line around the city of Lynnwood.

• Like 2