Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Living in Tennessee for the last 17 years, mostly in rural Wilson/Smith Counties and now a resident of Murfreesboro, and a one time owner of cabins in Gatlinburg.  I’ve noticed a somewhat hostility towards Nashville in most rural areas of the State. 
be it politically or just because they don’t like the “ big city” . I’m not sure I’ve been here long enough to fully understand their reasonings nor do I need to . Just find it hard to believe, people draw such a hard line and have such resentment towards others . One of my favorite songs , has the best words.. LET IT BE ! People need to chill out. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

and become The United States again, and go back to the original idea , that All Men & Woman are equal! Let’s start by being civil to each other and focus on what we really hold passionate.. Nashville Development! 

See, thing is the original idea, like with Men & Women also Boys & Girls and Ladies & Gentlemen, you gotta be Neanderthal to use those phrases now. According to the cultural master elites. And be ready for the insults. Other than that, thx for setting me up. But come to think of it, civilizational implosion is maybe a good reason to not host a political convention.

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

Yep,  Im a old guy, old enough to remember a time , when we did use words like that. Words of respect, honor, thoughtfulness and politeness. In all due respect, it’s today’s cultural thinking of I, me, myself that’s destroying humanity. No longer does it seem “ right” to think of the other person, to listen and respect what they have to say. It’s easier to just sling insults and pass judgment and seek revenge. I for one am glade I lived in a time that dignity and morals , outweighed the darkness that plagues the world today. 

Edited by Luvemtall
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dragonfly said:

See, thing is the original idea, like with Men & Women also Boys & Girls and Ladies & Gentlemen, you gotta be Neanderthal to use those phrases now. According to the cultural master elites. And be ready for the insults. Other than that, thx for setting me up. But come to think of it, civilizational implosion is maybe a good reason to not host a political convention.

Again, I am not going with name calling here! Understand ME! Keep it civil or I will kick you out.  I call both sides Ding Dongs because they are both acting crazy. Neanderthal is subhuman. Don't do it again. My job is hard enough without have to be a babysitter here. I am trying to keep everyone civil and to see both sides and how this has consequences. The Metro Council for their actions and the state Legislature for theirs.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

No worries, you are not as much the problem as others. It seems as if some on the board just can’t seem to have a discussion without name calling or stirring the pot to get all of the other hornets buzzing. I really don’t mind differing points of view when folks are civil. Just like Me and Randy and the vegetation on building conversation. He likes it and I do not but we agree to disagree.

Todays climate brings out the worst in people. I have emailed or publicly shared what I expect here. I hope there are no so called state sanctions and cooler heads prevail. Face to face meetings can solve a lot. Whatever happens I am sure Nashville will adjust and overcome.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dmillsphoto said:

Tennessee State Republican lawmakers have submitted a bill to make Sparta the official State Capitol, drawing ire from Nashville officials.

"Look, if Nashville doesn't want to act like they are our State Capitol, then moving government operations seems like a just decision. I mean, look, the county is just as red as Sparta now, after the 2020 election, it's time they started acting like it," an unnamed state senator was quoted in private conversation.

Just move it back to Murfreesboro :P 

Edited by NashRugger
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Gain said:

Unfortunately I see what you mean

So then you agree that the security concerns the Nashville Metro Council had were valid afterall!  Nice to see you come around!

As for the rest of your post... yikes... I'm just gonna let that lie where it is.  It is the best counter-argument against itself that could possibly be made.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, glamdring269 said:

It's bad enough that Nashville has reps in Congress that live about as far away as possible from Nashville. Can you imagine someone from rural east TN having a direct say in activities of Bridgestone Arena? BNA? I'm just imagining state rep politicians from my home town being in charge of something like this and the only thing I can envision is complete downside/disaster. Not only for Nashville's growth but the overall prosperity of the state.

I understand your concern with Bridgestone, but BNA makes sense because the FAA oversees airports. Plus, those three congressmen fly out of BNA all the time... They don't fly out of Clarksville, Columbia and Cookeville. 

Edited by lmc123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

This might be a bit random, but I was checking out the Wikipedia page for "tallest buildings in Nashville" yesterday. 

There used to be a listing of Nashville highrises from roughly 200 to 300 feet, in the list of "tallest completed buildings" and now those are completely gone. The list ends with 300 feet or taller.

Has anyone noticed that, or know why that list was edited to remove the buildings in the 200-300 foot range? It was always such a great snapshot to see the highrises in that range, since those buildings can be a significant impact on a city skyline and density. 

Plus, in today's booming Nashville, there are quite a few highrises under construction in that range currently. 

In looking at a lot of other comparable city Wikipedia "tallest buildings" pages, the 200-300 foot list of buildings is significant. 

Edited by jjbradleyBrooklyn
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1