Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

13 hours ago, chris holman said:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities

According to this Nashville is the 20th largest city in the US. 

I looked at the list and thought it pretty amazing that Nashville is above cities like Boston and just a smidge behind a city like Denver. I've been to both of those cities and it just didn't make sense. Then I realized the reason is density. Nashville and Jacksonville are way out of whack relative to the top 20 cities. Even Austin has more than twice the population density relative to Nashville. Anyone know what "Nashville" means in the context of this measurement? Nashville? Davidson County? "Greater Nashville area"?

Edited by glamdring269
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, glamdring269 said:

Speaking of density, I was poking around at the largest cities in TN and noticed that Murfreesboro is the densest of the larger cities and it's not even close. The population growth is simply insane. I moved to middle TN and originally Murfreesboro in 1995 and remember back then being told it was the fastest growing city in the US (or maybe that was Rutherford County) and it really hasn't slowed down.  Originally from Knoxville and would not surprise me if Murfreesboro and Clarksville pass both Knoxville and Chattanooga when the 2030 census rolls around. Will just depend on if the land runs dry I guess.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/states/cities/tennessee

Rank Name 2023 Population  2020 Census Annual Change Density (mi²) Area (mi²)
1 Nashville 715,913 689,447 1.25% 1,505 475.54
2 Memphis 628,970 633,104 -0.22% 1,982 317.36
3 Knoxville 194,301 190,740 0.61% 1,968 98.71
4 Chattanooga 185,125 181,099 0.73% 1,295 142.96
5 Clarksville 176,859 166,722 1.95% 1,790 98.80
6 Murfreesboro 165,972 152,769 2.72% 2,690 61.71
7 Franklin 89,745 83,454 2.39% 2,158 41.58
8 Johnson City 73,413 71,046 1.09% 1,704 43.09
9 Jackson 69,102 68,205 0.43% 1,185 58.30
10 Hendersonville 64,867 61,753 1.63% 2,066 31.39

I’d be interested to see the population and density of the pre-consolidation Nashville city limits. It would obviously be a much higher population density but I’m not sure what percentage of the population of Nashville nowadays lives in areas like Madison, Bellevue, Hermitage, and Bellevue that didn’t used to be in the city proper. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, glamdring269 said:

would not surprise me if Murfreesboro and Clarksville pass both Knoxville and Chattanooga when the 2030 census rolls around. Will just depend on if the land runs dry I guess.

The difference being that Knoxville's MSA is nearly 900K; whereas, Murfreesboro is only a part of Nashville's MSA.  Clarksville's MSA is approximately 300K. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

I feel like the Memphis decline was a long time coming. Memphis is gentrifying pretty well in many areas, but the job and high pay  growth isn't there to support a lot of in-migration.

It will be really interesting to see what type of impact the Ford EV investment (somewhat) near Memphis will have on the area. Some suppliers will likely need to localize to support as well.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2021/09/27/ford-electric-vehicles-memphis-regional-megasite-new-jobs/5884664001/

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

And as others mentioned Clarksville and Murfreesboro will pass Chattanooga and Knoxville by 2030-2035, too.

Likely, but is that a fair comparison?  Both Chattanooga and Knoxville's city population has been stagnant by this metric for many decades.  But in no way are Clarksville and Murfreesboro comparable when measuring against those cities as a whole i.e., MSA.  E.g., Nashville has a larger city population than both Atlanta and Miami....what does that mean?  Nothing when comparing those three cities by their MSAs.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, samsonh said:

https://www.wkrn.com/news/tennessee-politics/notice-an-increase-in-your-prescription-drug-prices-youre-not-alone/

here is the prescription topic. Will definitely harm small businesses and rural areas and yet they keep voting for these guys. Amazing.

Rural voters aren’t monolithic in the issues they prioritize in the ballot box. For some TennCare and prescription costs is a big deal, for others not so much. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tragenvol said:

Likely, but is that a fair comparison?  Both Chattanooga and Knoxville's city population has been stagnant by this metric for many decades.  But in no way are Clarksville and Murfreesboro comparable when measuring against those cities as a whole i.e., MSA.  E.g., Nashville has a larger city population than both Atlanta and Miami....what does that mean?  Nothing when comparing those three cities by their MSAs.

There’s definitely truth to say that the MSA’s make a difference. But it’s also a subjective thing, in some respects. Yes, when certain cities are totaled including their MSA then of course they are larger, but all the ring cities and towns are in fact their own entities. say when looking at NYC for example, every town and city that surrounds it are connected for hundreds of miles , like all the way to Boston . There’s really no rural area in the tri-state . So those towns don’t count in certain counts , then they do in others . NYC and Boston could be in reality one massive MSA . I question some of the ways things are looked at some times. Point here is if counting JUST the city limits ( how it should be) then yes Nashville is larger then all but 19 other cities. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

Rural voters aren’t monolithic in the issues they prioritize in the ballot box. For some TennCare and prescription costs is a big deal, for others not so much. 

This law has nothing to do with TennCare. It affects everyone who gets a Rx at a low volume pharmacy. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Point here is if counting JUST the city limits ( how it should be) then yes Nashville is larger then all but 19 other cities. 

It is, but that's a stretch, pardon the pun, as Nashville is an outlier in that practically the whole county's population and area is included in the city's limits rather than just what its true city limits might be sans metropolitan status.  Take a comparative look at area:  Nashville city limits (by area) dwarf both Atlanta and Miami's city limits (by area); so, objectively, is it really larger than either Atlanta and Miami by city population metric when factoring area and population density?  Fun with numbers - we could take population density and apply comparatively by discounting Nashville's city limits and Nashville would not be the 20th largest city by population in the country.

• Like 1