Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

31 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

A little exercise I did this morning for William comparing another city that I shall remain unnamed.

68 buildings total above 200 currently.
4 over 200 uc
10 over 300 uc
2 over 600 proposed
1 over 500 proposed /not counting the Tishman Speyer in any list as we do not know what it will be.
12 over 400 proposed
49 over 300 proposed* some of these will be estimations as the renderings for many of these buildings are not out yet and may be below 300'
21 over 200 proposed
These are my numbers and not anyone else's. I saved the building list from Emporis and also have my own list incorporated into these numbers. I can probably get the totals of buildings over 100' as well.

2 over 600?  The Ritz?  Or the Giarratana tower at the Roundabout?  I know Giarratana's 750' tall one that was just financed is the other. 

I know it’s been mentioned many times before, and beating a dead horse over and over again. But I wish somehow a deep pocket developer, with a kindness for nostalgia would build a new grand version of The Maxwell House Hotel . The corner lot bound by 1st, 2nd , Church & Bank streets would be a ideal spot for such a venture. Or if I dear say, a Maxwell House Hotel as part of the Tishman project would be sweet! They definitely have the pockets and connections to make that happen. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Luvemtall said:

I know it’s been mentioned many times before, and beating a dead horse over and over again. But I wish somehow a deep pocket developer, with a kindness for nostalgia would build a new grand version of The Maxwell House Hotel . The corner lot bound by 1st, 2nd , Church & Bank streets would be a ideal spot for such a venture. Or if I dear say, a Maxwell House Hotel as part of the Tishman project would be sweet! They definitely have the pockets and connections to make that happen. 

The Maxwell House naming rights would have to be wrestled from the folks at Millennial Maxwell House Hotel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bnacincy said:

I had always hoped the Millennium folks would relocate the Maxwell House back to its original location at 4th and Church...wouldn't be cheap though!

Was there not insurance on the structure? Does anyone know why it just wasn’t rebuilt in its original location? Seems like that should have been done, I’m just curious. 

Edited by Luvemtall
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Was there not insurance on the structure? Does anyone know why it just wasn’t rebuilt in its original location? Seems like that should have been done, I’m just curious. 

Just throwing this out there, but even with insurance, that was a valuable parcel of land at the time, and the Maxwell House was rather shabby and rundown by the time it burned down. The costs to rebuild a century-old hotel would've been prohibitive at that location. Instead, Third National Bank acquired the parcel and put up their black skyscraper not long after. Perhaps the present building could be converted into a "New" Maxwell House hotel ?

Very interesting video! Thanks for posting. I agree that reducing the delta in the property tax rates can make a big difference and be an incentive. I want to see how the experiment in Detroit works.  I think they overlooked the income from those parking lots, which of course are taxed too. I wonder where that over/under breakeven point would be for parking lots with their income vs property taxes.  

• Like 1

County-level 2022 population estimates released today.

Map of net change from TN State Data Center:

Raw data table can be found here: https://www.census.gov/data/tables/time-series/demo/popest/2020s-counties-total.html

Write-up here: https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2023/population-estimates-counties.html

Davidson County showed a small, partial recovery from the 2020 to 2021 drop:

April 1, 2020 Estimates Base Population Estimate (as of July 1)
2020 2021 2022
Tennessee 6,910,786 6,925,619 6,968,351 7,051,339
Davidson County 715,875 716,058 703,372 708,144

Edited by AsianintheNations
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t really understand how the Davidson numbers are the way they are when it feels like thousands of units have been coming online in the central city alone. I mean, from my balcony in the Gulch, it seems like I can see like 1000+ new units from just the last couple years. People must be moving into them or the market for more would be softening. Are there parts of the county that are emptying out?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

County-level 2022 population estimates released today.

Map of net change from TN State Data Center:

Raw data table can be found here: https://www.census.gov/data/tables/time-series/demo/popest/2020s-counties-total.html

Write-up here: https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2023/population-estimates-counties.html

Davidson County showed a small, partial recovery from the 2020 to 2021 drop:

April 1, 2020 Estimates Base Population Estimate (as of July 1)
2020 2021 2022
Tennessee 6,910,786 6,925,619 6,968,351 7,051,339
Davidson County 715,875 716,058 703,372 708,144

I am rather astonished to see growth in Maury County so high compared to Nashville.  Williamson too.  Is this centered in Spring Hill I wonder as it straddles the county lines?  There ARE massive new housing projects there for the new battery plant I assume,  but it doesn't look to me as massive as in Nashville's core.

• Like 2