Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I would not mind that at all. And it's better than Regions fugly puke green signage.  :sick:

Is it me or is this Tennessean article highly tentative and speculative? It's pretty confusing to read. On the one hand is the statement that UBS IS taking 90,000 SF at the Regions building, which will NOT include the UBS wealth mgmt folks currently on West End. On the other hand is all of this tentative language about the Perimeter Place landlord "hoping to keep UBS as a tenant" and lots of speculation by tenants (in the Regions building?) about whether or not the new Regions tenant is actually UBS.

I mean, I appreciate that quasi-investigative journalism and all, but is this 90,000 SF leased to UBS or not? And why is UBS leasing 90,000 SF at the Regions building to replace their space at Perimeter Place, which is about half that size? That variance leads one to infer that UBS will be hiring someone to fill that extra space.

I'll do some of my own sketchy speculations FWIW. The article states that the building is just over 602,000 SF on 29 floors, which comes out to about 20,000 SF per floor. So 90,000 SF would be 4.5 floors, or about 15% of the building's space. Is that enough to qualify as an anchor tenant and get one's name on the building in Nashville? What if the new owners eventually get the rest of the space cleaned up and lease out greater than 4.5 floors to another tenant? Would the building be renamed again? That would be a good thing, but it would be the nail in the coffin for rumors about Nashville City Center II or almost any new office towers downtown without someone landing a huge HQ that wants to be in the CBD.

Edited by bwithers1

This may sound lazy to y'all, but hope for them to choose to brake it up by counties again.  Here in Huntsville they gave North Alabama a second area code, and rather than giving Madison, Limestone, Jackson and Morgan Counties (Metro Huntsville-Decatur) the old area code and assigning the new to the rest of North Alabama like they did in Middle TN with 615 and 931 they assign all new numbers the new area code.  Which means you have to dial a persons ten digit number rather then the typical local calling seven digit number even if you're calling your next door neighbor, and that's dumb to me.  Why not split it up by land line numbers and work cell numbers gets 615; personal Cell numbers get new area code?

Edited by L'burgnative

This may sound lazy to y'all, but hope for them to choose to brake it up by counties again.  Here in Huntsville they gave North Alabama a second area code, and rather than giving Madison, Limestone, Jackson and Morgan Counties (Metro Huntsville-Decatur) the old area code and assigning the new to the rest of North Alabama like they did in Middle TN with 615 and 931 they assign all new numbers the new area code.  Which means you have to dial a persons ten digit number rather then the typical local calling seven digit number even if you're calling your next door neighbor, and that's dumb to me.  Why not split it up by land line numbers and work cell numbers gets 615; personal Cell numbers get new area code?

If they do split it up, then they will have to assign existing numbers new area codes. They way I see it is that most people use cell phones and have people on speed dial to begin with, so it really wouldn't be that difficult to do. Also, think about how much money businesses would have to spend in advertising if they now had to change their area code on everything. Assigning a new area code to only new numbers seems like the easiest and most cost effective way to implement this. 

• Like 1

This should probably get its own thread when announced by the mayor's office on/around September 12.   The city plans to put the Sounds back where baseball belongs, at Sulphur Dell...   http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130821/SPORTS04/308210177/-80-million-new-Sounds-stadium-project-Sulphur-Dell-works?odyssey=mod{sodEmoji.|}breaking{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE

• Like 2

This should probably get its own thread when announced by the mayor's office on/around September 12.   The city plans to put the Sounds back where baseball belongs, at Sulphur Dell...   http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130821/SPORTS04/308210177/-80-million-new-Sounds-stadium-project-Sulphur-Dell-works?odyssey=mod{sodEmoji.|}breaking{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE

Very happy to see this coming together (again, hopefully). That site is way too valuable to be sitting empty and unused, and a modern ballpark would be a nice perk for Germantown and still have decent walkable access from downtown.

Edited by Jamie Hall

If done properly, this could really kick the redevelopment of the North Capitol area into another gear. There's already a little residential in that area that seems so lonely at the moment. I imagine the North Capitol area will become much more attractive with a ballpark a short walk away. 

I don't understand how Dean is justifying spending 10's of millions of taxpayer dollars on a minor league team, when we already have two professional teams...which is a lot to support for a city our size as is...

Seems like the money could be better used for infrastructure improvements and transit, or streetscaping areas to make our city more beautiful and attractive to live in...

Although it breaks my heart that this will never be built on the old thermal site, Sulphur Dell would be an amazing second choice.
That area between Germantown and the capitol is entirely dead after the state workers leave in the afternoons and is then taken over by the homeless. I would welcome it to Germantown with open arms.

If done properly, this could really kick the redevelopment of the North Capitol area into another gear. There's already a little residential in that area that seems so lonely at the moment. I imagine the North Capitol area will become much more attractive with a ballpark a short walk away. 

Agreed. That is a really weird void between Germantown and Downtown. There are obviously some reasons for that (partially in a flood plain, lots of state owned parking lots), but you would think somebody would've already proposed something ambitious to go here. Because of the relatively low elevations compared to downtown, this is actually an area where I think you could put a few mid/high rises in (10-20 stories) between 4th and 1st.

The ballpark will also increase the demand for restaurants. Germantown is a short walk away, but I would imagine this development would spark a handful of its own. It would be nice to see Jefferson St get some restaurants and nightlife. 

I would MUCH rather see this financed by private means and not the government. But I do think it should help with everything up there. Catch 22.

I tend to agree. I don't mind Metro getting involved as far as greasing wheels or buying the land...but I think the bulk of the financing needs to come from the Sounds themselves, and any developer they partner with. I often think Dean is trying to do too much before his term runs out. MCC, Amp, several corporate deals, and now this. He's bringing a lot of money to the city for sure...but is he spending more than he's bringing in?

I want the Sounds to stay. I want them to have a new park. But to be honest, the Sounds rank pretty low on Nashville's entertainment totem pole right now. Are they actually worth that type of investment, or will this development spark a boom to that area that will justify the money spent?

Two random notes:

-This announcement seems kind of out of left field from my perspective. I remember reading about the NCDC proposals from the UT Architecture program where they laid out the different possibilities. I remember after that something coming up about the PSC scrapyard and how Dean envisioned a ballpark going there. I remember reading that the owner of the scrapyard said 'it's not a matter of if, but when' they move ($$$). That seemed to be the preferred location at the time. So what changed? Perhaps Dean felt there would be no agreement reached with PSC in time to build a ballpark while he was still mayor. While I think Sulphur Dell is a worthy site, I sure hope Dean didn't compromise a deal to finally take out the scrapyard just so he could have a ballpark built while he was still in office. /purespeculation

-Someone mentioned a 'food truck park' in another thread. I think that could be done outside of a new ballpark. Sidewalks near sporting venues tend to be a lot wider...so there's a possibility that they could line the sidewalk and create a sort of food wall. It would have a marketplace sort of effect on the street(s).

Is this site bigger than the thermal site?  I've seen on several sites that predict rather it be expansion or a relocation Nashville is about ten years from having an MLB team; if that is true I hope this site is big enough for an MBL ballpark (the old thermal site is not), and they build something that can be expanded onto.  No I'm not a Nashville taxpayer, but if funds come from Nashville/Metro then it's there stadium to use and expand (if possible) if Nashville were to get an MLB Franchise.

Edited by L'burgnative

Is this site bigger than the thermal site?  I've seen on several sites that predict rather it be expansion or a relocation Nashville is about ten years from having an MLB team; if that is true I hope this site is big enough for an MBL ballpark (the old thermal site is not), and they build something that can be expanded onto.  No I'm not a Nashville taxpayer, but if funds come from Nashville/Metro then it's there stadium to use and expand (if possible) if Nashville were to get an MLB Franchise.

There was a City Paper article a few years ago that dealt with those rumors and basically said that with Nashville's population base and corporate dollar base, even if Nashville didn't have the NFL or NHL franchises, it still wouldn't be able to support MLB.  Let's be honest, I've been to a few Titans "sellouts" where there were thousands of empty seats, that just shouldn't happen when there are only 8 home games a year.  Maybe my perspective perspective is a bit skewed as a Green Bay Packer fan where there is a 40 year waiting list for season tickets.

.....found the article.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/ignore-speculation-mlb-interested-nashville

FINALLY!  I'm happy to hear the news.  Also liked this part, as well:

"The project, which includes a residential development built with at least $30 million in private funds, would be on Jackson Street north of the Bicentennial Capitol Mall between Fifth and Third avenues."