Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Not sure where this goes (maybe we need a thread called "Really?").   Talk about a building being hostile to its surroundings.     I much prefer our Pinnacle building with its "disappearing" glass to one that melts nearby cars and, yikes, pedestrians.

Glare from London skyscraper 'melted a Jaguar'

A British property developer said Tuesday it was investigating after rays deflected by a skyscraper melted the side of a businessman's luxury Jaguar car.

http://news.yahoo.com/glare-london-skyscraper-melted-jaguar-133036022.html

Not sure where this goes (maybe we need a thread called "Really?").   Talk about a building being hostile to its surroundings.     I much prefer our Pinnacle building with its "disappearing" glass to one that melts nearby cars and, yikes, pedestrians.

A British property developer said Tuesday it was investigating after rays deflected by a skyscraper melted the side of a businessman's luxury Jaguar car.

Not gonna lie... I LOL'd.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130903/BUSINESS/309030047/2263/BUSINESS03

Nissan parts supplier Calsonic Kansei to add 1,200 jobs to the area and a $109 million investment.

While most of these jobs are outside of the metro (526 jobs in Lewisburg, 489 jobs in Shelbyville -- 183 will be in Smyrna), it is good news for the region. A lot of small towns and rural areas are hurting for jobs, forcing people there to look for work in the city and suburbs (which crowds our own job market). Job announcements like this are very good news. Both Lewisburg and Shelbyville are in our CSA, likely for the reason that a good number of people there have to commute to places like Williamson and Rutherford Counties to find work. While I am very pleased with the big job announcements in Nashville recently, this is just as important, because it makes the region as a whole stronger.

• Like 1

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130903/BUSINESS/309030047/2263/BUSINESS03

Nissan parts supplier Calsonic Kansei to add 1,200 jobs to the area and a $109 million investment.

While most of these jobs are outside of the metro (526 jobs in Lewisburg, 489 jobs in Shelbyville -- 183 will be in Smyrna), it is good news for the region. A lot of small towns and rural areas are hurting for jobs, forcing people there to look for work in the city and suburbs (which crowds our own job market). Job announcements like this are very good news. Both Lewisburg and Shelbyville are in our CSA, likely for the reason that a good number of people there have to commute to places like Williamson and Rutherford Counties to find work. While I am very pleased with the big job announcements in Nashville recently, this is just as important, because it makes the region as a whole stronger.

I was glad to hear this this morning, especially since CKNA is one of our bigger customers. I could get used to these 1000 job announcements every week or two from the Governor. 

• Like 1

I was glad to hear this this morning, especially since CKNA is one of our bigger customers. I could get used to these 1000 job announcements every week or two from the Governor. 

CKNA is one of our larger customers, too..   so we were very glad to hear the news.. 

There are a couple of buildings in the US with this problem as well. Vdara in Vegas which roasts pool goers and the Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA which blinds people at certain times of the day.

Huh? At least 4 of these projects are downtown.

SoBro Apartments

12th & Laurel

Hyatt Regency

Marriott Demonbreun

Depends on how one defines downtown. They definitely fit in the broader definition of downtown. Do you consider the Gulch and SoBro to be distinct neighborhoods, or part of downtown? I guess, really that would be more of, do you view downtown as a neighborhood/district, or as an umbrella term for a collection of neighborhoods (a la East Nashville)?

I personally use an umbrella term, to me downtown is basically everything within the inner interstate loop.  with spill over to include the musica roundabout and even the titans stadium.   but that view has narrowed quite a bit, when I was in high school in the 90s I thought of everything within 440 as downtown, but I didnt leave Franklin much then either.

First off, are all of those little stick people riding segways or pogo sticks or something?

Seriously, I like the sketch, but it makes it appear to have a plaza in front of the building. Currently, there is an awkward split level garage. Are they planning to make the upper portion a plaza. If so, that will be an interesting transition to street level.

Keeping my eyes on this one.

Passed by Metropolitan Bank on my run today. Rehab is nearly complete. New sign, paint is about all I can see on the exterior. Elevated parking deck fronting West End remains as...a parking deck. WES towers will have a nice view looking down on it someday.

Also noticed the lots for the Stonehenge project on 18th S are scraped clean and about to start foundation work.

I love that graph!

A whole new skyline.

Except none of these are in downtown. Only 'D' is actually under construction, but all appear to be solid proposals with very good chances to start soon.

All buildings are over 150' tall which represents good urban infill and massing. I just used best guesses on heights.

ProposedProjects_zps0cccedfa.jpg

I did not include highly speculative buildings like the 505CST or rumored 4Seasons Hotel. Nor did I included the 22 story, 262' Omni Hotel which is near completion or the Vanderbilt Academic Buildings on West End which could be over 150'. 

Haven't heard about the Westin resurfacing around the MCC (wouldn't be surprised), but have heard rumors about another potentially large mixed use project around the MCC (and this is on top of the potential of something big developing at the Methodist site). The MCC really has sparked a fire in this area.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117104&page=49

Skyscraper city is talking about the Westinhttp://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=106808850#post106808850

After today, it's public knowledge. The rumored Westin is for the UMPH site and would be part of a larger project altogether, as the site is 7.1 acres. Whether the design is the same as the one posted on SSC in terms of height and materials, we will see. Expect the rough cost to be 100-150% more than the purchase price of the site, so $100-$150M.

• Like 1

I know some don't like the "country music" and "tourists" labels as part of our city's image, but you got to admit having Keith Urban and some friends (Steven Tyler!) play at 3 "honky tonks" in DT Nashville is pretty cool, especially with the amount of fans that turned out.

• Like 1

After today, it's public knowledge. The rumored Westin is for the UMPH site and would be part of a larger project altogether, as the site is 7.1 acres. Whether the design is the same as the one posted on SSC in terms of height and materials, we will see. Expect the rough cost to be 100-150% more than the purchase price of the site, so $100-$150M.

So how is it public knowledge?  Was there an official release?  Details, please!

I know some don't like the "country music" and "tourists" labels as part of our city's image, but you got to admit having Keith Urban and some friends (Steven Tyler!) play at 3 "honky tonks" in DT Nashville is pretty cool, especially with the amount of fans that turned out.

Country is cool... and so is Nashville!