Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Apparently, this is old news, but I just learned about it.

Vanderbilt is planning to raze the Carmichael towers on West End and then replace them. It's just in future planning mode right now, but this article makes it seem like it's inevitable.

http://www.nashvilleledger.com/editorial/Article.aspx?id=65301

Based on the size of this development, I'm guessing that demo will come in the form of implosion. That will be quite the sight to see!

Edited by nashvillwill

I suspect that Carmichael Towers will be here for a very long time, and that plans for replacement are in such a future time frame that they amount to mere speculation.

I agree, Universities make plans way in advance, and they may not happen for years or decades, if at all.   2 years ago UT released a new master plan that called for the Humanities building to be demolished and replaced with 3 smaller academic buildings, this year they just finished a major renovation of the building.  it will be there for a very long time.

I agree, Universities make plans way in advance, and they may not happen for years or decades, if at all.   2 years ago UT released a new master plan that called for the Humanities building to be demolished and replaced with 3 smaller academic buildings, this year they just finished a major renovation of the building.  it will be there for a very long time.

I fully support the destruction of the OH THE HUMANITIES! building. I hated that 'hole.

I fully support the destruction of the OH THE HUMANITIES! building. I hated that 'hole.

they actually acknowledged that most people thought it was a dark cave.

but in Nashville news

Vaderbilt Medical to lay off 1000

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130918/BUSINESS05/309180127/2275/RSS05?nclick_check=1

sorry if i missed a post on it previously.

The VUMC layoffs are a consequence of a number of factors including the sequester and the state's refusal of addition Medicaid funds.  These reasons were spelled out by VUMC officials in several hearings as the decisions on the sequester and Medicaid were being made.  Similiar cuts are being made at other hospitals across the state. 

Edited by captainwjm

Does anyone know what is going on at the corner of McCampbell Ave and Donelson Pike? There has been tons of construction equipment there lately and it looks like a 2-3story concrete staircase or something was built recently.

Also not sure if anybody knew about the shopping strip that was built near the corner of Lebanon Rd and Old Hickory Blvd. It has been built for easily 3-4 months and still has no tenants. Starting to get worried it will not see action for quite awhile since winter is coming around. It is kinda an eyesore now since it has space available for about 6-7 businesses but it completely empty.

The VUMC layoffs are a consequence of a number of factors including the sequester and the state's refusal of addition Medicaid funds.  These reasons were spelled out by VUMC officials in several hearings as the decisions on the sequester and Medicaid were being made.  Similiar cuts are being made at other hospitals across the state.

I don't really agree with that unless Vanderbilt ramped up hiring in the last 2-3 years expecting Tennessee to expand Medicaid. Now, I think they can say they might not have had to cut the jobs if Medicaid had expanded as that would cover up some mismanagement or decreases in other revenue, but they aren't going to see any less money than they are getting right now. That's an important distinction. Other hospitals in Nashville are increasing hiring and expanding services right now, so while the Medicaid decision didn't help, it certainly isn't affecting all hospitals. Vanderbilt may be blaming the state for this, but they've also had other issues that likely play a larger role.

Driving west on Demonbruen today by the 12th and Laurel Apartments, I noticed the equipment and materials staging area next door on the site of the proposed Hensler Tower, had been cleaned up and cleared out. Seems a little odd. Maybe it's a scheduled move, but why give up a great staging area at this point in construction. 

I know this is the internet and we shouldn't be inclined to jump to conclusions (sarcasm), but in light of a major Nashville company looking for 44 floors of office space, I wonder.

Here is a crude photo shopping of the massing of the 44 story version. It would look pretty good. Again this is just wild speculation.

EakinLongshot_zpsa16766c7.jpg

Edited by PHofKS

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/09/welcome-google-tech-giant-picks.html

Welcome, Google: Tech giant picks Nashville as a 'tech hub' city

Google announced today that it has selected Nashville as one of seven inaugural cities to participate in its Google for Entrepreneurs Tech Hub Network, a new venture the tech giant is launching to better connect emerging local tech scenes across the country with each other and with resources at Google.

The local hub will be hosted through the Nashville Entrepreneur Center, which has been courting Google for the past two years, including hosting a Google for Entrepreneurs event earlier this week.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130928/BUSINESS01/309280072/Downtown-Nashville-get-24-7-restaurant-bar

I wasn't sure where to put this...in the SoBro thread, in the food and drink thread, or here. I figure I will put it here.

In short: the owners of Tootsie's/Rippy's (and some other partners) plan to build a 24 hour diner on top of an existing vacant building at the corner of 3rd and Demonbreun. 3rd and Demonbreun...why is that familiar? That's the block the SoBro is slated to be constructed. So this property that Tony wanted to buy to get more of the block? This is why he couldn't get it.

But never fear, apparently it does not mean anything is in jeopardy with the SoBro:

The additional stories are to be built atop the existing one-level structure, which will be expanded in the rear to make for a larger footprint, Steve Smith said. The 32-story, 300-unit-plus SoBro apartment tower that developer Tony Giarratana and his partners plan to build will curve around The Diner’s location, he added.

Perhaps one of the delays for the SoBro rising was figuring how this building would factor into the equation. The buildings will definitely contrast...but I'm not sure it's such a bad thing. For one, we know that the property isn't going to remain as a one-level abandoned dump -- it will be a (hopefully) lively diner that helps keep that area active at night.

I'm interested in seeing how exactly the SoBro tower will fit into this. 

I'm not sold on the rendering as of yet. It's a little blah with the colors. I like that the building will be brick...but I might go a shade or two darker. The second floor corner balconies don't really do anything for me. It sort of looks like they are going for the Honky Tonk Central look, but thankfully without the vomit-colored exterior. The faux 4th story (rooftop patio) is also not my favorite design element. Hopefully it will look more natural or "complete" than the crappy infill building between 2nd and 3rd on the north side of Broadway.

Come to think of it, this building looks like that and Honky Tonk Central had a one night stand that resulted in a pregnancy.

• Like 1

Here is another sign Nashville has been located on the map.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/10/charlotte-marketing-firm-brings-hq-to.html

Even though this is a small operation, I would dare say we need more office space yesterday. Who would have thought Nashville would be snagging HQ's from Charlotte of all places.

• Like 2

Here is another sign Nashville has been located on the map.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/10/charlotte-marketing-firm-brings-hq-to.html

Even though this is a small operation, I would dare say we need more office space yesterday. Who would have thought Nashville would be snagging HQ's from Charlotte of all places.

We're widely becoming known as a creative hub -- something cited by the company's president in this article. It is surprising to hear of a company moving from Charlotte, and to here (not, say, Atlanta).

Of course, with the smaller companies, it may have more to do with the president/owner's personal taste than anything else.

• Like 1

Building demolition work @ 12th and Wade/ 1 block north or Wedgewood.

If anyone is curious, the buildings being demolished on 12th and Wade are for the new Metro Police precinct. This was approved last year. I have not seen any renderings for this yet. Should help to clean area up and is at a great location between Edgehill and Belmont University. I would not expect to see the architecture groundbreaking or up to the street as Metro is not known for that kind of work.

Equipment is on site for the new Midtown precinct and grading started this week.  

Added pic from Smeagol's development map.783677_l.jpg

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 2

Good job on that. I have been out of commission for a couple of weeks but I was able to keep the map updated. There are renderings for almost any project on the map. Please continue to use it. Took a lot of work to get ER up and going.

BTW, as for me getting out of hospital for second time in two weeks today. Wish I could make the meet tomorrow, but I am beyond zonked.

You guys are great.

Ron

• Like 3

Nashville Chamber negotiating active relocation or expansion projects.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/10/nashville-actively-negotiating-69.html

Reading that right there leaves little doubt in my mind that everything we have been seeing the past few years is nothing in comparison to what is about to come. You guy's think we have been busy now, just wait a little while longer. Things are about to bust loose!

• Like 3