Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Downtown is active nearly every day (outside of office hours)...a lot of that due to the high number of events down there.

Just this month alone, there are 18 events at Bridgestone Arena. Add to that the number of events at the Ryman, War Memorial, Municipal Auditorium, Music City Center, LP Field, and any number of small venues. It really is Nashville's entertainment mecca, and we're lucky to have it downtown. There are a lot of cities where the entertainment areas are more spread out, or the big arenas/stadiums are away from downtown. For Nashville, downtown is *the* spot. 

And I think it's only going to get more active, as adjacent areas of downtown fill up with residential and hotels.

Downtown was pretty darn active even during office hours when I was down there today walking around. I continue to be astounded at the increased amount of pedestrian traffic in certain parts of Nashville and hope this is the new normal. 

• Like 1

Downtown was pretty darn active even during office hours when I was down there today walking around. I continue to be astounded at the increased amount of pedestrian traffic in certain parts of Nashville and hope this is the new normal. 

James,

I think this will be, indeed, the "new normal."

WW

As I posted in the Gulch thread, I've been really pleased with the foot traffic the past two nights I was downtown. I mean it definitely wasn't a Friday or Saturday night, but some of the bars were packed and a lot of people on the sidewalks. 

• Like 1

And the new Nashville area code (629) will start in spring 2015.  The TRA voted to use what is called an "overlay", meaning all new numbers will get the new area code.  The other option was to "split" the region into old and new area codes. With the former, ten digit dialing will be required for all calls, even local calls from 615 numbers to other 615 numbers. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/10/nashville-gets-its-new-area-code.html

• Like 1

And the new Nashville area code (629) will start in spring 2015.  The TRA voted to use what is called an "overlay", meaning all new numbers will get the new area code.  The other option was to "split" the region into old and new area codes. With the former, ten digit dialing will be required for all calls, even local calls from 615 numbers to other 615 numbers. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/10/nashville-gets-its-new-area-code.html

I'm glad they chose the overlay. The other option would have been a nightmare. 

• Like 1

not a major problem, with cell phones I would say most people store numbers with area code included.  it may be a headache for business though that are using. oh what are those things called.  remember those old phones that didnt have internet and were connected to the wall. and they had buttons that made noise when you pressed them. 

Too hard for business's that have established numbers for advertising. It would also be very expensive to change advertising in a Metro area the size of greater Nashville.Many folks would be forced to change numbers including myself. This is an easier transition too. It has worked well in other metros that have faced the same issue. There will come a time that Davidson would have to be split again along with the outlying counties.

To me it would seem to make more sense to have Davidson one area code and the surrounding counties 629. Unless there are too many numbers in Davidson to do that.

I don't think so. Think about the logistics of people changing long established phone numbers, as well as businesses that have multiple locations (but primarily within the metro) that would have different area codes. It could also be messy in those fringe areas of the county with lots of interaction with the adjacent county (Brentwood area, Hermitage/Mount Juliet, Rivergate/Hendersonville/Goodlettsville). 

The overlay makes the most sense IMO.

I was just thinking the same would happen like when the 931 area was introduced. Davidson and surrounding counties kept 615 while the rest of midddle TN got the new one. Seems like the same amount of changing numbers. Those businesses (while maybe not as many) had to change numbers. To me it would just make sense to use location to keep area codes more "defined" and separate rather than mix the two within the same region. Davidson 615, surrounding counties 629.

I really don't like these "pieces" from the Tennessean because they tend to be very weak on specifics/statistics.  Anyway, here is another article about apartments with an odd sort of focus on "Historic West Town". 

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131027/BUSINESS02/310270033/2095/BUSINESS02

I'll be happy when the Tennessean's long decline comes to an end so the land it sits on can be redeveloped.  That would be about the best contribution that they could make to the city of Nashville. 

I also hate the name Historic West Town for several reasons.  The fact that I grew up there and everyone that lived there called it the Nations is at the top of the list.  Also the people calling it "Historic" are bulldozing the neighborhood at a blistering pace.  Not to say I'm against redevelopment, I just think it's silly to call it historic while you're tearing it down.  The neighborhood is going to continue to redevelop at a rapid pace with or without a gimmicky name.  Just stick to calling it the Nations out of respect for the old timers that haven't sold or been forced out yet.  Again I'm not opposed to the redevelopment of the area, I just think at the very least it should retain its name.

• Like 4

Has this sort of gradual "re-branding" ever happened in any of Nashville's other areas as they began to redevelop? I wonder what it would take to convince developers and realtors that a name change isn't in order. Most of the locals I encounter still call it the Nations, but the articles and listings I see are increasingly calling the area "West Town." 

This particular name change originated from a couple agents at one particular real estate agency who already had a foothold in the area.  They thought that by changing the name that it would erase the stigma that the neighborhood had which would help to push prices up and bring in new buyers.  It started by simply listing the neighborhood in the MLS as Historic West Town.  Then lazy publications trying be up on the newest trend started to call it that in the news papers. 

Most of the newcomers I've talked to prefer to call it the Nations.  They like the idea of living in a place that has a gritty past and a non generic name to go along with it.

Many other neighborhoods do go through rebranding, but it's not usually as baseless as this.  Most of the time a new name/rebranding will come about when the area doesn't already have a name and a clearly defined border.  As the city grows areas that use to be referred to as simply West, East, North, South start to define themselves with more specific borders and names like Sylvan Heights and 12 South.  Also hot areas like the Gulch and Midtown continue to stretch their boundaries due to their popularity and the areas around them not already being clearly defined.

• Like 2