smeagolsfree

Nashville Bits and Pieces

Clearly he isn't serious but it's very flattering he thinks that about Nashville.  And it's true.  We're an awesome city.

Exactly.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!

• Like 1

Not enough room to build DC infrastructure in the core. They'll build a suburban style campus in Spring Hill instead. That should help keep the traffic down, too.

/sarcasm

• Like 1

There's plenty of existing infrastructure in Brentwood/Williamson County. They can convert some of the mega churches (bonus: plenty of parking but no widening of roads, it would ruin "the character"). I'm sure Mike would be OK with that. Pretty sure some of those churches are larger than the White House and some Capitol Buildings.  

Edited by TnNative

There's plenty of existing infrastructure in Brentwood/Williamson County. They can convert some of the mega churches (bonus: plenty of parking). I'm sure Mike would be OK with that. Pretty sure some of those churches are larger than the White House and some Capitol Buildings.  

Hey, they'll finally have a valid reason for operating the two (yes, count 'em, two) double left turn lights for Brentwood Baptist on non-Sundays!

Hey, they'll finally have a valid reason for operating the two (yes, count 'em, two) double left turn lights for Brentwood Baptist on non-Sundays!

Those turning lanes get so backed up when I go to their Tues. night Kairos service.

I think you can count on a very early 2014 start. 2013 is not going to happen as there were a couple of things to cause a slight delay. There is still one more variance that has to be approved. Typically, December is a hard month to get anything done in any arena as many people have a short month.

Ikea Facebook page currently has a map of the USA with it's existing stores and future stores. Under the map, a caption reads "Stay tuned for BIG news tomorrow. Can you guess what it is? ". Hmmmm I wonder.

Edited by bruceman73

Ikea Facebook page currently has a map of the USA with it's existing stores and future stores. Under the map, a caption reads "Stay tuned for BIG news tomorrow. Can you guess what it is? ". Hmmmm I wonder.

Merriam (?) & Sweetwater FL?

Apparently it's St. Louis

That said, we certainly won't get an IKEA now. There is not enough population to warrant a new store in the area, with Atlanta & St. Louis now.

I knew it would be St. Louis. It's been rumored for at least a few months now. I initially thought a St. Louis store was unlikely so soon given that the KC store was opened recently, but they have a much larger population in the immediate vicinity compared to Nashville. I agree that it may hinder us getting a store soon.  

That is a blow that could keep us from having a store for a while longer...but I would consider from a logistical standpoint that being in between two stores might not be nails in the coffin. I have no idea on how IKEA's distribution network is set up, but a Nashville store would be a natural midpoint between the two in terms of supply.

That is a blow that could keep us from having a store for a while longer...but I would consider from a logistical standpoint that being in between two stores might not be nails in the coffin. I have no idea on how IKEA's distribution network is set up, but a Nashville store would be a natural midpoint between the two in terms of supply.

Or maybe a warehouse operation?  Nashville's location on 3 interstates and tons of rail lines seems to help us mostly in the logistics industry.

I have stated and I continue to believe that if an Ikea were to come to Nashville that it would end up in Cool Springs surrounded by an ocean of parking.  The idea of Ikea putting in an "urban" store in Nashville with garage parking was optimistic to say the least.  But as I have noted before, there are several businesses in Nashville that take orders for Ikea runs and offer delivery services and even installation services.  The addition of a St. Louis store, which is the same relative 5-hour drive from Nashville as the Atlanta store, will only add to their options and would seem to bring the Nashville market closer to saturation.

Yes... I just don't see Ikea being in the core... even the Atlanta store has a comparatively large parking lot, albeit double-decker IIRC. I have been there only once (I just don't get it).

I just don't see what the big deal is with IKEA. How often do you need to buy furniture?

With IKEA furniture, pretty often. My stuff has had a lifespan of about 2-3 years.

Although, I think it's a decent place to get things like linens. My wife "just loves" a set of curtains/rug/bedspread, but then 6 months later she "hates" it. So I have to buy new crap all the time. I still visit IKEA for that type of stuff. But as far as furniture goes, I don't shop there anymore.

Edited by nashvillwill