Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

In my opinion, IKEA is popular because they have a vast amount of reasonably priced modern/contemporary furniture and other home goods. They are a cheaper option than other big modern/contemporary chains like Crate & Barrell, Bob Williams + Mitchell Gold and even West Elm. They also offer great space solutions for people who live in smaller homes/apartments. IKEA has a pretty decent range of furniture depending on your budget so, understandably, some of their stuff is hit or miss. Most of the items I've bought from IKEA have held surprisingly well. I have a tv stand that I bought probably 7 or 8 years ago that's in excellent shape (save for the dog bites on the knobs) and a corner lamp that's held up nicely the same amount of time. I've also had other smaller, cheaper items from them that break after a few years. 

Yes... I just don't see Ikea being in the core... even the Atlanta store has a comparatively large parking lot, albeit double-decker IIRC. I have been there only once (I just don't get it).

I'd like to see it in Davidson County, though, simply because of the sales tax revenue. Lord knows  Williamson County has enough of that in relation to their size.

I don't know, I just hear people saying that it would be so awesome if we had IKEA, almost like it would make Nashville so much better if we had one. 

Except it's not like having one somehow elevates a city to a new tier.   We're way high on the desirability scale right now without the big Swedish store, tyvm.    Maybe just me.   My wife drug me to the one in Atlanta and I swore I would never set foot in one again.      

• Like 1

Except it's not like having one somehow elevates a city to a new tier.   We're way high on the desirability scale right now without the big Swedish store, tyvm.    Maybe just me.   My wife drug me to the one in Atlanta and I swore I would never set foot in one again.      

We're on the same page, because that's how I feel. I was just stating what other people believe IKEA would do for Nashville. Would it be nice to have a big name store here? Sure, but I just don't see why they get brought up EVERYTIME a possible lot for retail opens up. A Target makes more sense to me because it sells cheap furniture AND groceries. Sure it's not as sexy as IKEA, but it fills the actual needs of the community better. 

We're on the same page, because that's how I feel. I was just stating what other people believe IKEA would do for Nashville. Would it be nice to have a big name store here? Sure, but I just don't see why they get brought up EVERYTIME a possible lot for retail opens up. A Target makes more sense to me because it sells cheap furniture AND groceries. Sure it's not as sexy as IKEA, but it fills the actual needs of the community better. 

I'm not pro-IKEA, but I think the draw is that it is a big name (and only in larger markets) that we don't have. We have Target. Though I would agree that given the choice for an urban location, Target would be more beneficial downtown.

The thing is...a downtown (or anywhere around the core) Target probably isn't going to draw people from outside of 440/Briley, much less outside of the county. IKEA is a destination retailer that would likely draw from places 50-100-150 miles away...college students/young people from Murfreesboro, Clarksville, Bowling Green, Cookeville, even perhaps Knoxville and Jackson (not sure if it would be easier for Memphis to get to our (potential) store or St Louis's). It would be a much bigger impact for sales tax. 

But again...an urban Target location would be much better for boosting retail options downtown and keeping the urban residential movement going strong (how long before it stagnates if we don't get a Target or Publix or the like?).

• Like 3

Yeah, an urban Target in the gulch area would solve the problem of having nowhere to go for everyday necessities et al.  I'm not a big fan of Target, but they put up some great urban stores in Chicago that are built to the street and have the doors close to a bus stop. 

The one in DT Minneapolis is also very nice, though I assume that is their flagship.

Pasting a Hull petition update I rec'd today.    Please sign it if you are so inclined.  

Many thanks for your signature on the petition to Governor Haslam asking that he save the Cordell Hull building from destruction.  Since my last memo to signers in August we have gained 254 signatures for a total of 1004 at this time.  We have a few weeks longer before the petition will be closed and I am hoping that we can have many more signatures before that time!      

Your assistance is needed to spread the word about the petition.  If you ask just one person to sign the petition we could easily double the number of current signatures before the first of the New Year.  Please share the petition link (below) with your friends, family and neighbors, post the link to your social media or spread the word about this important issue in other ways.  Future generations of Tennesseans deserve to have their historical buildings preserved.  The Cordell Hull Building is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.  

Again, many thanks for your help!

Cornelia Pearson

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/govenor-haslam-save-the?source=s.icn.em.cr&mailing_id=17757&%3Br_by=593&r_by=8536382&%3Bsource=s.icn.em.cr    

There is a fence around the former parking garage/Hewgley's Music on the courthouse site.  Bet it becomes a parking lot.

Thanks for your info. I passed this on to WW to see what the purpose of this may be. He is going to do a story on it. Could the demolition for the courthouse finally be starting? We will know if the garage and the old Sears building come down.

Any news on Ms. Crow's four story diner going in her existing building on 3rd? Since she would not sell to Tony, she and the man who owns Tootsies was going to build a 4 story diner. What is up with that now? She pulled her demo permit months ago. :dontknow: 

Edited by Urban Architecture

There is a fence around the former parking garage/Hewgley's Music on the courthouse site.  Bet it becomes a parking lot.

Don't have any specific information, but wasn't there a news story several weeks ago about this garage being unsafe and Metro Codes was singled out for not requiring the owners to either tear down or repair?  Sure hope that construction on the Fed. Ct. is beginning, but think it might be just a response to Codes. 

Yes, I heard it was due to parts of the building crumbling and becoming a hazard. In addition, the city engineers are looking at the old Sears/Tn Care grey building on the corner of 8th N and Church for the same reason. There have been instances of pieces flying off the roof and the sides of the building in large storms. I personally watched one piece of the building almost decapitate a pedestrian.The projectile weight about 100 pounds and was ten feet long. If you drive by the site, there is currently another piece of moulding/flashing(?) getting ready to fall onto the sides walk on 8th North. I have watched it work its way loose from my balcony.