Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

So this is the "big" anouncement?

I would take confirmation of ground breaking on this as big news. Certainly if they actually get it started before the end of the summer, which would mean it could top out before year's end. It's not the Sobro or Sheet music, but if it really is a done deal, I am certainly pleased. Are floors/height in feet estimates still up in the air for now?

Edited by NikOnder
  • Like 1

I would take confirmation of ground breaking on this as big news. Certainly if they actually get it started before the end of the summer, which would mean it could top out before year's end. It's not the Sobro or Sheetz, but if it really is a done deal, I am certainly pleased. Are floors/height in feet estimates still up in the air for now?

Oh I am pleased as well. Just wasn't sure if this was the big one out of the three. I thinks it's wonderful and is just going to add to the Gulch and help expand the skyline. I wonder if the rendering that appears to be 20 plus stories is the final one? Definitely exciting times for Nashville. Oh and I only mentioned Caterpillar earlier because I friend in the real estate market said that they have been hearing that Caterpillar is relocating its corporate headquarters to Nashville. Has anyone else heard such a thing?

Honestly, IMHumbleO, I think Eakin could build ~20+ and fill it pretty easily soon.  Similar to how the Pinnacle worked out (it's occupancy rate has gone up IIRC).  But I know many don't like spec building.

Edited by timmay143

It sucks for the residents of 1212 has they will be staring directly into this Eakin building. Seems like the buildings would be pretty close and the Eakin building may be rising up to 20 stories?

Wasn't that the plan all along? I think that's one of the reasons the garage sticks out on that side....it provides a bit of a buffer.

Also, I'm guessing the targeted start time coincides with Twelve Twelve is finishing up.

Naming rights and approximate opening date announced for new Ice Rink it Antioch

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140304/BUSINESS/303040056/Ford-dealers-awarded-naming-rights-new-Predators-practice-rink

So, if I'm interpereting this correctly, the name of that ice is going to be;

"The Mid-South Ford Dealers Arena at The Global Mall at The Crossings"

Has a ring to it. :)

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 2

Wasn't that the plan all along? I think that's one of the reasons the garage sticks out on that side....it provides a bit of a buffer.

Also, I'm guessing the targeted start time coincides with Twelve Twelve is finishing up.

It was the plan to have the building so close... but if the Eakin building rises up to 20+ levels it just seems a little more imposing.  Doesn't matter to me.  Taller the better as far as I am concerned.

So, if I'm interpereting this correctly, the name of that ice is going to be;

"The Mid-South Ford Dealers Arena at The Global Mall at The Crossings"

Has a ring to it. :)

"The Mid-South Ford Dealers Arena at The Global Mall at The Crossings of Hickory Hollow of Antioch - Davidson County, USA"

About as close as Viridian is to L&C. And as close as Sheet Music will be to Encore.

Although the north side 1212 units will have their northern views partially obstructed (Tennessean building? Capitol View?), the million dollar views from their windows and balconies will still be of the downtown skyline. Not so for many of the south facing units.

There's a demo permit for 2117 Elliston, an older one-story building.

No big loss there.  That's a really good plot of land, so maybe something will be built that fits the location better.   Hopefully it won't become another sushi place - that area is saturated!  Osake, Samurai and (coming soon) Nama.

I was at Cafe Coco last night and noticed the small apt bldg, Villa Louise, at the corner of Louise and State has burned down, I was not aware this had happened.  Do we know what will happen to the site?  It seems like a prime location.

Not real sure yet. The original problem was that pipes burst during the extreme cold weather. Then workers somehow caught the building on fire in the middle of the night after the fire department was called the first time.

I think they are evaluating their options right now. At least that is what I have heard.

Apartment boom puts Nashville on the map

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140311/BUSINESS02/303110035

I have to share the comments (so far) from the article.

A beautiful city on the river to start with, job growth, crime in check, 3 major interstate highways to access it, fairly good government, Opry Mills Mall, an entertainment mecca....what else does a city need for growth......Now if they could just work on that 5:00 rush hour.

yes rush hour is getting worse...starting at about 3:45-4:00 now

The Gulch was a golden opportunity to do something special. Too bad the developers filled it with subpar materials. Compare the wood and stucco construction to the steel and glass of places like Kansas City and others and the architectural value is 20 years behind. Afraid it will age poorly. And yes the afternoon traffic on I=440 has become impossible. About time Nashville embrassed the music industry as a plus instead of an embarrassement. But would still like to see a blend of Athens of the South tag blended with some modern architecture.

Paul Robertson I rented an apartment in the Gulch and I too was not impressed by the lack of quality construction. I paid nearly $1700 per month for faux wood floors, shower inserts and mediocre appliances. I visited friends in Miami during the New Year and they paid roughly the same, but their apartment had upgraded appliances, oversized glass showers and great concierge services and most importantly big box shopping ie..Publix, Target and Best buy in walking distance. I love what Nashville is doing but it seems the developers are building these apartments on the cheap and asking for premium prices.

That one person should be "embarrassed" by their spelling...harharhar. Nah, j/k. The main things why I wanted to share and what I got from them is that:

1) We need some sort of major mass transit overhaul. We will prob need a local and regional dedicated funds in some sort of tax. I think NC and Charlotte have something in place. Might be the only way to get some coop from CSX and others opposed to "state" funding. I see it as we need a multimode effort. Different types of transit per need and location.

2) Is the Gulch really that "bad?" I rarely spend time in Nashville anymore, let alone the Gulch, others' opinions on this?

I will post this in the mass transit thread (maybe Gulch thread too) for proper discussion areas.

Edited by timmay143

I think that in general a lot of the new construction is indeed subpar.  It may look pretty but I suspect that quite a bit won't hold up well or age well.  This phenomenon is by no means limited to the Gulch.  There certainly are some quality projects out there with truly great construction and finishes.  But I fear that a lot of stuff is being thrown up, literally.  Let the buyer beware.