Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Not sure where to post this, but the Nashville Federal Courthouse has been officially cancelled after the GSA deemed it was not needed. They spent $1.9 million on purchasing the land, and $21 million on design and now cancelled it!

Tax payers need to be recouped for this. The Feds need to sell the land and let private development buy it.

http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/project-leads/tennessee/removed/34

William made a few calls for me and spoke to someone at GSA, and they said although the project is not on the GSA website anymore, it has not been cancelled. So there is hope for this yet FWIW.

There was an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern on the Travel Channel tonight. Very well done. Just happened to catch it. I did see it was going to be on but didn't know when.

Hope some of you guys saw it.

On again at 11 (20 minutes).

MCC gets Gold LEED certification.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the benefit of the certification other than recognition of the design/build, and the obvious advantages of energy efficiency?  Are there grants or programs that a building so certified can receive that others cannot?  In other words, why would a building owner care?

Edited by captainwjm

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the benefit of the certification other than recognition of the design/build, and the obvious advantages of energy efficiency?  Are there grants or programs that a building so certified can receive that others cannot?  In other words, why would a building owner care?

I don't think it always justifies the cost of certification, but it has definitely been used as an advertising tool.

I don't think a building with the size and with the profile of MCC is really taking a big leap by getting LEED certified. Most of the materials and design required for that designation are becoming industry best practices and are taking hold in the design process independent from the LEED standard. This is especially true with legacy projects such as the MCC.

• Like 1

The Planning Commission approved what I consider to be three important bills yesterday.  Obviously, I think that they are important because I took off of work to speak in favor of them, LOL!  The three are:

(1) New rules for two-family homes so that attached duplexes must be connected by 20 feet or 80 percent of the length of the building starting at the front.  Detached duplexes must have a hight/width ratio of no greater than 1.5:1, so no more skinny houses.  Two-family homes are only allowed in R- districts, not RS zoning.  The difference is that the Urban Zoning Overlay requires the attachement, while detached duplexes are allowed outside of the UZO.  I submitted language through the public comments page requiring the connection start at the front facade and that language was accepted.  I did speak to the commissioners to say that in my opinion a detached duplex is an oxymoron:  it's just two houses on one lot.  Maybe some day we will get those banned altogether.  But this will at least spell the end of the umbilicals. 

(2) Expansion of Detached Accessory Dwelling Units to all R-zoned areas.  These are the apartments over a garage.  Presently they are only allowed in historic districts (as a preservation perk) in R-zoning.  Urban Design Overlay areas just got them earlier this year.  But if this bill passes the council, this option will be available in all R-zoned areas.  These will continue to be banned in RS-zoned areas (single family only).

(3) Contextual Overlay designation.  This is a new Overlay that will go through the Planning Deparment similar to an Urban Design Overlay but with less detail.  This one pertains more to requiring new houses to match the setbacks of the neighboring houses, not being greater than 25% taller than the immediate neighbors, and not having more than 50% greater footprint than the immediate neighbors.  There are other provisions as well such as no front-facing garages, no driveways wider than 12 feet, and no concrete 90-degree parking pads in the front yard.  Neighbors would still have to work with a Council Member and meet all of the notice requirements and have two public hearings to get these Overlays in place similar to an Urban Design Overlay.  I suspect that they will be popular.

None of these three bills are perfect, but they are at least a start in the right direction.  There was some pretty good debate on the floor.  Many of us who supported them actually agreed with many of the people who opposed them.  It's just that we supporters found more good than bad.  Metro could always come back at some point and tighten these up with the suggestions from those concerned neighbors who spoke in opposition.  All three bills now move on to the Council. 

• Like 2

The google maps app on my Droid does show the updated satellite imaging for Nashville. I haven't been able to investigate where it ends, but it appears to be taken from this fall. Downtown, Midtown, Germantown, West End, and Melrose appear to be up to date. I can't tell with East Nashville, but the image looks pretty seamless. But I didn't see any of the new development on Main or Woodland.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm still not seeing an updated aerial image for the city on google maps.  Are you guys talking about some kind of phone app?  I'm just going off of the google maps image on my laptop. 

My Google Earth hasn't updated (nor have the Google Maps), but the image date now says 2014 instead of 2011.