Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I have an Arby's confession to make too.  My wife and I we're staying at the Hutton the night of our wedding with plans to go to Midtown and have a great time.  Well we were so tired from the festivities we just went to Arby's to eat then wen't back to our room.  Romantic, I know.

BP at 19th & West End has not renewed their gas contract and the Arby's next door closes for good next Sunday. Very interesting.

Interesting.  A couple of months ago, the auto interior shop behind the BP [i still call it the West End Gulf] closed and Premier started managing the parking around the building.   That leaves only Randy's Midtown Grill on that side of the alley on 19th.

The Arby's has parking across the alley next to the Palmer Plaza Garage extending to Broadway.  

So that only leaves the law firm [the new Premier pay lot is in between] and the building housing Gigi's Cupcakes and Hattie B's Chicken [excellent, you need to try it!] on that end of the block. 

As mentioned, a prime location.

New bike lane went in on the Korean Veterans (to Shelby Ave) road bridge.  Any progress is good because improved bicycle infrastructure is key to supporting density in Nashville.  I implore fellow cyclists to use this lane instead of the nearby pedestrian bridge because visible volume is important to get support for more and better bike lanes.

The good:

There is a bike lane.

There is a painted strip (3 ft?) separating the bike lane from car traffic.

The bad:

The bike lane is pretty much in the gutter with some debris.

There is not any real barrier from traffic and cars drive fast here.

Reflective posts could be put in very cheaply and would be a big help.

(see http://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2013/04/04/guerrilla-road-safety-group-politely-installs-illegal-bike-lane-protectors-on-cherry-street/)

I promise people would use a real protected bike lane in the city that bypasses traffic congestion.  I have spoken to many people who would bike commute if there were a separated safe bikeway.  The bike enthusiasts who are experienced and/or risk-tolerant enough are already riding.  To get the casual urban cyclist, riding in the city has to become more like a ride on the greenway and less like an adrenaline extreme sport.

I ride to work several times per week when the weather is decent, and love the constant addition of bike lanes going in through Nashville. The addition on KVB was a long-time coming and I'm glad to see it finally leaning towards our "Complete Streets" initiative.

A side note: Please be extra-vigilant if you cycle around town. I was passing LP Field at 2nd & Russel last week and a big red pickup plowed straight into me coming out of a stop sign. Thank goodness he had just left a dead stop and so was moving very slow, but this could have ended very differently for me. As it was, I was relatively unhurt, but my bike was on its side and I at the very least need to true up my front wheel and buy some new pedals.

Even if you have the right of way, you could stilI end up in the hospital.

• Like 3

I ride to work several times per week when the weather is decent, and love the constant addition of bike lanes going in through Nashville. The addition on KVB was a long-time coming and I'm glad to see it finally leaning towards our "Complete Streets" initiative.

A side note: Please be extra-vigilant if you cycle around town. I was passing LP Field at 2nd & Russel last week and a big red pickup plowed straight into me coming out of a stop sign. Thank goodness he had just left a dead stop and so was moving very slow, but this could have ended very differently for me. As it was, I was relatively unhurt, but my bike was on its side and I at the very least need to true up my front wheel and buy some new pedals.

Even if you have the right of way, you could stilI end up in the hospital.

Yeah, it's definitely getting better for bikers - though there's still a long way to go.  I wish there was a more convenient/safer way to bike from the Germantown area to East Nashville.  It's a little scary on Jefferson, where it's a "share the road" situation over the bridge.   

Yeah, it's definitely getting better for bikers - though there's still a long way to go.  I wish there was a more convenient/safer way to bike from the Germantown area to East Nashville.  It's a little scary on Jefferson, where it's a "share the road" situation over the bridge.   

Yeah, I scoped the bike/walking situation to the new Sounds stadium from East Nashville. Doesn't look very safe. As a "casual urban biker" it does not inspire confidence. The ride to Greer (from East Nashville), while longer and with more hills, looks a lot safer than this bike ride. Oh and they really need to widen the sidewalks on the Jefferson Street Bridge.

Edited by TnNative

I came across this today-  " The World's First Suspended Bicycle Roundabout" .. I immediately thought about the KVB Roundabout. 

http://twistedsifter.com/2014/01/hovenring-worlds-first-suspended-bicycle-roundabout-netherlands/

That's super cool!  Neat idea for traversing a busy intersection.  I wonder if it would cost less than the Gulch Pedestrian Bridge?

Celebrity gossip Web site TMZ opens up shop in Nashville

http://www.wkrn.com/story/25520939/celebrity-gossip-web-site-tmz-opens-up-shop-in-nashville

This is BAD BAD BAD for Nashville. Nashville being paparazzi free was one of the reasons why Nicole Kidman and Hayden P. moved here, and why so many stars like calling Nashville home.

I had a feeling that this day would come....

Could the city impose any kind of harassment laws or are these jackals protected by the constitution?

They are only protected by the constitution on public property. Unfortunately, that includes roads, parks, sidewalks, etc.

The consequences of becoming the "it city" I guess.

While TMZ's presence in Nashville may be feared by some local entertainment celebrities, many of them will also use it as a publicity vehicle to promote themselves, their music, or public image. It's a two way street. TMZ gets a lot of notoriety for their controversial and ugly celeb stories, but they are also a big part of the PR and publicity departments of film studios, record labels, etc. At the upcoming CMA fest you will see a lot of music stars actively courting TMZ. On a whole, I'd say their on the ground presence in Nashville will only give the city and it's huge entertainment industry even more global visibility.

• Like 2

They are only protected by the constitution on public property. Unfortunately, that includes roads, parks, sidewalks, etc.

The consequences of becoming the "it city" I guess.

People Magazine has had a Nashville office forever and regularly features Nashville-based country stars on the cover.  But People Magazine in Nashville tends to keep it classy in the same manner that Nashville locals do.   We will have to see how TMZ behaves in Nashville.   The truth is that TMZ papparazi could already stalk Nashville music stars regardless of where their offices are located.  So we may not see a big difference other than increased coverage.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

So maybe, just MAYBE, twenty-five plus years after American Airlines abandoned their short-lived Nashville hub (and the London route that came with it) we'll see direct flights "across the pond" again.  Maybe!  (fingers crossed)

correction...hub closed in 1995, so it has not been 20 years yet

Edited by donNdonelson2

I knew BNA had been courting BA for a few years now, but I expected that Virgin Atlantic would be coming with the hotel announcement. Either way, so glad to see this! This should make us only one of four airports in the southeast, not counting Florida and Virginia, with transatlantic flights. BNA is such a great airport, too. Lots of friends who fly through often tell me how much they like it.