Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Just an update on the Google Fiber saga. I got this email yesterday;

"Good news!

The City of Nashville has submitted its fiber-ready checklist, bringing you and your neighbors one step closer to a new, high-speed network and all that comes with faster Internet. This was the first step in seeing if your city is a good fit for Google Fiber.

We’ve been impressed by how enthusiastic the City of Nashville has been as we’ve worked with them over the past few months — so let’s take a moment to thank them for everything they’ve done so far.

Check out this graphic and show support for your city’s hard work.

Thanks,

The Google Fiber Team"

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 3

Could the city impose any kind of harassment laws or are these jackals protected by the constitution?

No, but I'd love to see Butch Spyridon hire a group that just follows TMZ around and messes up all of their shots (I dunno, holding up signs in front of their cameras that say "Visit Nashville if you want to see it"). Hey, the constitution protects everyone right?

Nashville and Atlanta are both candidates for G-Fiber.  Nashville beat Atlanta by 2 weeks for submitting their checklist.  Nashville has already been working on their Development Plan whereas Atlanta will start their plan by the end of the month, per my Google insider

• Like 2

http://www.nashvilleledger.com/editorial/Article.aspx?id=73320

found this interesting, posted it to facebook along with a jab to some friends that for some reason cannot comprehend the amount of growth we are seeing, that they can either get on board and be happy or try and deny it and be ticked off for the rest of their lives

• Like 2

Per Michael Davis (Lexy).... there is a strong rumor from his airlines sources that British Airways will announce direct service from BNA to London .... announcement expected in June....

Just added Austin service in March....http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2014/03/12/british-airways-hints-at-expanding-to-us-airways-strongholds/6313513/

I'm very skeptical that British Airways will begin service to BNA anytime soon. It's a given BA will fly to Charlotte since it is a major hub for American/US Airways and partners in the OneWorld alliance. What is more likely, and much more needed, is the return of nonstop flights to the San Francisco Bay Area (either SFO or OAK). With Richard Branson recently announcing a Virgin Hotel here, it's possible that Virgin America might add BNA, however Southwest is the dominant airline here and continues to add destinations and flights at BNA. 2013 was a record year at Nashville Int'l, with 10.06 million passengers using the airport, even surpassing the peak years of BNA as an American Airlines hub. Like our city and region, BNA is booming.

Celebrity gossip Web site TMZ opens up shop in Nashville

http://www.wkrn.com/story/25520939/celebrity-gossip-web-site-tmz-opens-up-shop-in-nashville

This is BAD BAD BAD for Nashville. Nashville being paparazzi free was one of the reasons why Nicole Kidman and Hayden P. moved here, and why so many stars like calling Nashville home.

I had a feeling that this day would come....

Actually, I read on a couple of local blogs that TMZ opened its Nashville office in early March. So the fact that they've been here for 2 months already and have barely been noticed is somewhat encouraging.

Found this interesting and very surprising.

News 2 finds top 5 cleanest grocery stores in Nashville

http://www.wkrn.com/story/25572311/news-2-finds-top-5-cleanest-grocery-stores-in-nashville

I would have at least thought that one of the grocery stores in the Bellemeade area would have made the list. There is a Kroger, Harris Teeter, and Publix, all within walking distance of one another in that area. Also, no Whole Foods in the top 5?

Looks like Target is dominating in the cleanliness arena for the Nashville area

I don't think this has been posted here, so I'll link it. Willis is looking at relocating 3500 jobs from higher cost locations to lower cost locations. In their release to investors they mentioned Nashville and Mumbai as two low cost locations. Maybe they were just using Nashville as an example, but I would suspect something more substantive is going on behind he scenes for them to name nashville in their release. Maybe Eakin will get a new tenant and Nashville will have its very own Willis Tower.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-29/willis-to-cut-relocate-staff-as-profit-misses-estimates.html

• Like 2

This will probably only show up if you have a Facebook account...but I saw where Demetria Kalodimos posted photos of "before and after" of an old building in Nashville that she and her side business purchased and refurbished...taking it from what it had become, back closer to its original structure as a 30's era gas station.  They call it the "Filming Station."  I think it's a pretty cool reuse of that property.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154206754405707&set=pcb.10154206764800707&type=1&theater

I don't think this has been posted here, so I'll link it. Willis is looking at relocating 3500 jobs from higher cost locations to lower cost locations. In their release to investors they mentioned Nashville and Mumbai as two low cost locations. Maybe they were just using Nashville as an example, but I would suspect something more substantive is going on behind he scenes for them to name nashville in their release. Maybe Eakin will get a new tenant and Nashville will have its very own Willis Tower.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-29/willis-to-cut-relocate-staff-as-profit-misses-estimates.html

Good find.  Willis has a big presence (for decades) in Nashville.  Let us hope that Nashville's "Willis Tower" will be half the height as the original. 

Edited by MLBrumby

If anything, it would likely be a campus style building. It sounds like it will be more of a call center since it mentions they are "support staff" and that they are also contemplating a move to India (a hotbed for call centers). If they are wanting lower cost, they probably wouldn't want their support staff in a more expensive part of Nashville (the CBD) when they can go to the metro area for less. I don't like bursting bubbles, but I just don't see this happening in a tower. I'd love to see this get 505CST off the ground though, don't get me wrong.

I think we can still count on them being out close to BNA. It is good to have the extra jobs relocating here.

Definitely. I do really want them to come, and prefer them to be in the CBD, but I'm thinking it will have to be a campus area, like that around BNA. What's the vacancy rate at Metro Center, does anyone have the numbers?

Willis is looking at relocating 3500 jobs from higher cost locations to lower cost locations. In their release to investors they mentioned Nashville and Mumbai as two low cost locations.

Low cost locations, either Nashville or Mumbai- have we really slipped that low?

There's some irony - when they were Willis Corroon, they built their taj mahal out in Century City and ended up leasing then selling it and moving into the Genesco building, of all places...    although, to be fair, they transformed their floor at Genesco into something pretty special! Now to think they might be back in the big building business! 

Nashville is now (once again) "only" ten years away from getting the new courthouse.  Back where the city was on "the list" just twelve years ago.  This is government waste extraordinaire... and Jim Cooper wants credit? 

From the Tennessean...  http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/05/21/nashville-tops-priority-list-new-federal-courthouse/9396941/

Now Jim, we've patiently waited for this for a long damn time now, and you've been soft about getting this done, and let other cities leapfrog us.

For our wait, we demand a full redesign, twice as tall. And let's do this one in full gothic revival. Because we need more of that.

• Like 2

There are several buildings capable of cheaply handling any new Willis jobs near Genesco on Murf Rd and Vultee, including the gold building on Briley. Could be a great help to this area. If FedEx ever builds and Donnelson Rd moved, could be quite interesting with Dell a few blocks away

This will probably only show up if you have a Facebook account...but I saw where Demetria Kalodimos posted photos of "before and after" of an old building in Nashville that she and her side business purchased and refurbished...taking it from what it had become, back closer to its original structure as a 30's era gas station.  They call it the "Filming Station."  I think it's a pretty cool reuse of that property.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154206754405707&set=pcb.10154206764800707&type=1&theater

Yes, this is on 8th just below the MCC roundabout.    They sort of built a replica of an old building.    She did this several years ago before the MCC and the explosion of land values in the area, so she's sitting on some pretty valuable property on that corner.