Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Save Brass Stables! Seriously, it's an alley in a downtown area. It NEEDS a strip club, and a sketchy one at that. Maybe have a Saturday meeting there?

I'll second that. There needs to be at least one place in every city where people can indulge in shenanigans. Printers Alley has it all.

On a more serious note, I honestly don't see a good future in this. How can a hotel operate above a place such as Printers Alley? It is loud, late into the evening. Sure, people can review a hotel all day long, but inevitably there will be a lot of sleepless nights and angry guests.

I can only see two possible outcomes

- The hotel fails. It get's a bad reputation.

- Noise ordinances and the demise of Printers Alley.

New Orleans has Bourbon Street and embraces it. Nashville should not be embarrassed by Printers Alley's past reputation.

That's true.  But the French Quarter also has boutique hotels, and even some chain hotels, that choose to locate inside the French Quarter specifically for guests, upscale otherwise, who want to enjoy that particular ambiance.  Hotel Monteleone comes immediately to mind (admittedly a block away from Bourbon on Royal Street, but still very much in the French Quarter entertainment district), not to mention the B&Bs. 

Noise is definitely a potential issue.  But again, the Courtyard by Marriott is literally steps from Printer's Alley and seems to have no issues that I know of filling up those rooms with business and leisure travelers in a converted historic bank building whose construction creates some unusual floorplans.  The Hilton is mere steps from the honkytonks on Lower Borad.  The condo/loft conversions there on Church Street also were marketed to people who apparently are OK with the noise levels from Printer's Alley and 2nd Ave.

I still do not see an inherent conflict between a boutique hotel and a pretty-much as-is Printer's Alley.  I understand the apprehension to uncertainty, but not the knee-jerk reaction to plans whose details have not yet emerged.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 2

I have never been to a Printers Alley establishment, but have always felt it was a special place that helps make Nashville what it is; a city with a little edge to it. And I think that 'edge' is a large part of what makes the City popular with the creative class who, in turn, draw the millineals and hipsters and wannabee hipsters and millineals to our booming city. That's why Nashville is 'cool' and the 'it' city.

Nashville may have been the only City in America to ever have legalized prostitution (during the civil war) and in the mid 20th century was considered by LOOK MAGAZINE to be the 2nd largest gambling center in the USA after Las Vegas. There is a place in Southwest Davidson County called Hidden Lake which was a notorious hideaway for mobsters from around the nation including allegedly, some very well known people. It has always had a bit of 'let people be people' mindset from a cultural standpoint. Indeed after the sit-ins in the 50's, the decision to integrate City public and private facilities and establishments was almost a non-event considering the relative ease with which the City accepted it. This socially libertarian culture is what led to the establishment of the Music industry and allowed it to flourish and will lead Nashville to the next big brand ownership that makes it unique among American and world cities.

New Orleans has Bourbon Street and embraces it. Nashville should not be embarrassed by Printers Alley's past reputation.

I could not have said it any better my friend!!

• Like 1

After reading the Yelp reviews of Brass Stables, I think the city will survive its loss! That said, I'm hopeful that the bulk of gritty Printer's Alley can peacefully coexist with a couple of boutique hotel properties. Wish we could time travel for a visit to the old Boots Randolph club in the alley. It was a destination nightspot for Music City in its time!

• Like 2

It is time for the shoddy architecture to go. Even on my side of town, it is only a matter of time that shoddy one story buildings like Bolton's Chicken on Main Street will be bulldozed for a nice mixed use mid-rise where they can lease space inside.

Let's hope and pray nothing ever happens to the historic Bolton's on Main Street. This would be a great loss to our city. I am shocked anyone would want to bulldoze a building with such character. Might as well bulldoze that old shoddy L&C tower too .....

• Like 1

Let's hope and pray nothing ever happens to the historic Bolton's on Main Street. This would be a great loss to our city. I am shocked anyone would want to bulldoze a building with such character. Might as well bulldoze that old shoddy L&C tower too .....

Bolton's is very cool.  There are a lot of buildings that might fall under the category of "shoddy" that are the very things that give the city character.  Rotier's and Emma's on Elliston place for example.  I love that sort of wedge-shaped cinderblock building on Shelby st, whatever it is.  I hope they stay forever.  

Even the neighborhood overlays concern me.  I don' t want Nashville to turn into some kind of high-density version of those hideous stepford-wives subdivisions in Williamson County.  

• Like 1

One night in my younger days I was on a bender down on Broad and decided to stroll up to Brass Stables to check out the stock.  Much to my surprise there was a one armed stripper pole dancing.  Her likeness is still burned into my mind to this day.

• Like 4

One night in my younger days I was on a bender down on Broad and decided to stroll up to Brass Stables to check out the stock. Much to my surprise there was a one armed stripper pole dancing. Her likeness is still burned into my mind to this day.

And people want this taken away? No sir, not me.

Pro Tip:

If you fold the dollars long ways and lay them on the stage, the DJ will call you a "f-word gentleman" and you will be a VIP for the rest of the evening.

Pro Tip #2:

I cannot stress this enough. Don't eat the crock pot meat balls. DO NOT EAT THE CROCK POT MEAT BALLS.

Edited by satalac
  • Like 2

So when I was on WTVF.com I happened to notice the North Sky Cam video feed of the riverfront park expansion currently under construction.  I was thinking how much has changed on the riverfront with the addition to the new park, the NBRICO Bldg, and thought how the future development his going to shape up.  Theeeeeen, I scrolled the page up a bit and my vision was completely ruined.  That ugly parking lot in between the two bridges without even one tree, and then the ugly ass PCS Metal junkyard.  It's a joke!  How in the Hell can any of the current development make sense with such an eyesore right next to it? Yes, I know some of you might say that it's better than what it used to be, but seriously??  It looks disgusting.  There is so much potential being wasted in that area of the East Bank.  I wish the city could or would do something to relocate them.  

Edited by bruceman73
  • Like 1

The scrapyard is in the plans for the riverfront park/greenspace and probably a bit of development, too (obviously just a "vision" type thing right now, not a solid proposal). 

The problem is the scrapyard isn't some abandoned warehouse that could be bought or easily taken by eminent domain. It's a working business that seems to be quite successful. The owner has stated before that it's not a matter of if they move, but when. I think they're just looking for a check with the right number of zeros and a sexy looking number in front. They also need a place to relocate with water (barge). rail, and interstate (possibly major highway?) access. Not many (suitable) places fit that profile. There's a spot that might work in Cheatham County, but it's off the interstate. And the only places on the east side that would seem to come close would be north of Old Hickory/Rayon City (near Dupont)...but I think you'd see some serious opposition there....and then there's Gallatin near the TVA plant...but that is much farther from the highway and the population center of the region (Nashville).

• Like 1

I still don't see what it is about a boutique hotel operator renovating historic buildings that would prevent having an entertainment venue downstairs in a lobby off of Printer's Alley.

Is any one talking about closing Fiddle&Steel? What if Fiddle&Steel or Lonnie 's just happen to close because the owners die or get behind in their taxes like so many other businesses? What then? Are people wanting to prevent private investment in renovating and reusing historic buildings for a business that could technically close at any time anyway?

Even the Ernest Tubb Record Shop isn't in its original location. Neither is the Station Inn. Lots of musicians and Vandy kids hang out at Station Inn and will continue to do so if it relocates out of the Gulch just like they followed it into the Gulch when that was a truly scary area.

Some of those specific businesses can relocate if they truly have such a following. Who is to say that Lonnie's couldn't relocate inside the hotel itself? I really do think that Printer's Alley will be fine. If nothing else, more Nashville visitors will be staying literally steps from the live music venues in the alley and can drop more of their tourist dollars in the tip jars. That will help, not hurt, the musicians.

Just for the record, are people also upset about the conversion of the Noel building into a hotel since it also sits immediacy adjacent to Printer 's Alley?

I realize that I am reflecting quite a bit more of a free market philosophy than some of you might have expected.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 4

I've been watching this topic for a while...trying to figure out exactly what to say.

Definitely count me in with the sentiment that Printer's Alley is a lovely little stretch of seediness and sin -- but even what you see today is MUCH tamer than what it used to be. 

I also agree with a lot of what Bret has to say about the issue. I understand the fear about businesses being forced to close -- but mind you, about half of those are on the 4th Ave side, not the Printer's Alley side.

I also don't think that the presence of a boutique hotel (or two, as Bret points out) is a death sentence for Printer's Alley as we know it...or the introduction of a bland, corporate version of what we see today. 

First and foremost, it is important that a lot of the buildings that back up to Printer's Alley are preserved. To be perfectly honest, I value the buildings themselves far more than the businesses within them. Clubs generally have a certain lifetime associated with them. Buildings last much longer. Losing a building to poor maintenance or fire would be far more tragic than losing one of the clubs at the bottom. I was reminded of this grim possibility when reading through some old headlines from Knoxville where a large tract of office/warehouses from the turn of the century burned to the ground (two separate fires). Abandoned buildings are very prone to fires...and while these buildings aren't "abandoned", the upper floors of many of them are, or are barely used. 

It is also interesting to me to see the mixed reaction of gentrification. Of course, we are most familiar with neighborhood gentrification and what it means to residents, whom are sometimes forced out due to high rent or taxes. But the same thing happens to businesses...all the time. My question -- how can we praise gentrification when it suits our interests (say, ugly metal warehouses in Germantown being replaced by apartment blocks) but condemn it when it threatens our nostalgic sensibilities (private investment in historic properties)? Is the "culture" of Printer's Alley not replaceable somewhere else? Is it more valuable than the interest of business owners elsewhere?

On top of that, presumably, the main reason these businesses are being forced to leave is so the buildings can be renovated. Is there no possibility that some of them (especially on the Printer's Alley side) will be replaced when completed? On that subject, I like Bret's proposal of a jazz club. I think that would be an exceptional fit. Classy enough for business clientele, but still in line with the Printer's Alley theme. Another option could be a (PG-13) cabaret. Edgy enough for Printer's Alley, but clean enough for a hotel (depending on the brand).

I understand why many of you assume the worst -- but that's a terrible way to go through life! Give the developers a chance to show their intentions. I'm not suggesting you pin your hopes on the best -- just be patient and wait.

• Like 4

The scrapyard is in the plans for the riverfront park/greenspace and probably a bit of development, too (obviously just a "vision" type thing right now, not a solid proposal). 

The problem is the scrapyard isn't some abandoned warehouse that could be bought or easily taken by eminent domain. It's a working business that seems to be quite successful. The owner has stated before that it's not a matter of if they move, but when. I think they're just looking for a check with the right number of zeros and a sexy looking number in front. They also need a place to relocate with water (barge). rail, and interstate (possibly major highway?) access. Not many (suitable) places fit that profile. There's a spot that might work in Cheatham County, but it's off the interstate. And the only places on the east side that would seem to come close would be north of Old Hickory/Rayon City (near Dupont)...but I think you'd see some serious opposition there....and then there's Gallatin near the TVA plant...but that is much farther from the highway and the population center of the region (Nashville).

Perfect place for it is near the Ashland City Hwy exit of Briley parkway.  Interstate, Rail, River. 

• Like 2

One thing that was disappointing was the fact that the family of Jimi Hendrix did not allow even a placard showing he played there from 1964-1966 when he got back from Vietnam and before he played with the Isley brothers before he went to England and made it big in Rock and Roll. It was a few months in those years when he played there. He also played at the former Eldorado Club on the old Clarksville Highway. 

I'm totally cool with the boutique hotel on Printers Alley as long as the character of the alley is preserved and there continues to be appropriate businesses on the alley. I do not want Printer's Alley to become "sterilized." Nashville is already so short on character and charm that we need to be careful not to destroy what makes us unique as we grow particularly downtown which is arguably the "face" of the city.

I think some of the proposals for replacement venues tossed around here like a jazz club are cool. We really need to up our game by diversifying our entertainment offerings downtown so they cater to different demographics. Printer's Alley seems like a good opportunity for this, but again, we must be very careful not to destroy the overall vibe. 

Edited by ariesjow
  • Like 2

"Nashville is already so short on character and charm"? I can only hope you are kidding ariesjow.

Not kidding in the least. I'm keeping it 100% real, but I'll be more precise with my language so there's no confusion. Our built environment is short on character and charm. We have a really cool overall vibe compared to some of the comparable cities I've seen: a very active downtown and surrounding districts, awesome & energetic people who love their city, and great entertainment venues and food. However, I think our overall built environment still leaves a lot to be desired.

We have some neat and funky pockets here and there like Lower Broadway, Germantown, Five Points, Hillsboro Village, 12South, Douglas Corner, and, of course, Printer's Alley. We're certainly doing better than some of the comparable cities like Charlotte in the "character and charm" department. But Nashville isn't going to be a New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah or even a Louisville, Memphis or a Birmingham in that regard anytime soon. 

Edited by ariesjow
  • Like 1

^ Nashville's much more vibrant than either Birmingham and Louisville and performing better by any measure of note, but those two cities seem to have a fair amount more vintage and historic building stock to me particularly Louisville. We seem to be doing a much better job of utilizing our older buildings than those cities, but it would have been sweet if we had preserved areas like the Highlands and Old Louisville in Louisville or those vintage skyscrapers in Birmingham that they're converting to residential.

^Louisville was a much larger city than Nashville earlier on, which is why they have such extensive historic neighborhoods. It is truly unfortunate all of the historic housing stock in our CBD was demolished almost to the last, not to mention the fire in East Nashville that also wiped out hundreds of late 19th century townhouses and mansions that were never replaced with something comparable.

• Like 4