Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Beretta moving all of its U.S. manufacturing to new Gallatin facility

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/07/beretta-moving-all-of-its-u-smanufacturing-to-new.html

This is a BIG WIN for the Nashville Area...300+ jobs.

I know from past articles that they were looking at multiple sites across the South and Midwest and for them to choose the Nashville area, speaks volume about our business climate and residents.

• Like 2

That photo does not in the very least remind me of Printer's Alley.  That is way, way better than Printer's Alley.  And again, we can't actually see the buildings in the photo, just the storefronts and signs.  If one of the buildings were renovated, and then the same or a new tenant moved into the existing (renovated) storefront, would you notice the difference?

That's why I will repeat that the restoration of the buildings on 4th Ave N that back up to Printer's Alley may cause a temporary disruption on Printer's Alley during construction, but there is nothing at all to say that the other buisinesses won't remain open, or that the rear lobby of the hotels couldn't potentially also offer live music or entertainment offerings and keep the "vibe" of Printer's Alley. 

On the other hand, the continued deferred maintenance on those buildings could ultimately lead to their demolition and replacement by a bland, boxy hotel (Hyatt Place, anyone?) that would absolutely alter the "vibe" of Printer's Alley. 

It seems to me that renovation of the existing historic buildings for a boutique hotel versus continuance of Printer's Alley as an entertainment district is a false choice.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3

Several building permits were pulled yesterday at/about 488 Myatt Drive in Madison to construct operations buildings/vehicle parking and other uses for NES.  Any ideas?

Here is some additional backstory on the NES activity on Myatt Drive.  WSMV reported a while back that a land swap was conducted between the Music City Center folks and NES for the Myatt Drive property  http://www.wsmv.com/story/24899390/music-city-center-avoids-debt-to-nes-through-land-swap

How long until NES gets a broker to sale their parcel across the street from 11 North in North Gulch, may set a land record in the downtown core.  

There are still rumblings about Gannett selling the Tennessean building at some point, too. The belief has been that Gannett would build a new site in MetroCenter. Not sure if that's still the goal or not.

There are still rumblings about Gannett selling the Tennessean building at some point, too. The belief has been that Gannett would build a new site in MetroCenter. Not sure if that's still the goal or not.

It's a worthwhile goal, that Gannett building is a disaster, it might have been designed to scare pedestrians away.  A mixed use project there would be transformative for that whole area.

• Like 1

That photo does not in the very least remind me of Printer's Alley.  That is way, way better than Printer's Alley. 

Hmm...a gritty, narrow alley way filled with small, quirky local bars that feature colorful signs jutting out from the buildings over the alley itself at differing elevations...yeah...yeah you're right.  It has nothing in common with Printer's Alley.  :dontknow:

Sarcasm aside, I am honestly wondering.  What is it about that Tokyo alley that, in your mind, is so different and so much better?  Is it the potted plants?  I think you might be making a comparison that is quite a bit more in depth than I intended.  My only point was that environments like that are unique and special and cherished in some parts of the world. 

As for the rest of your post, you are right and I do agree that the renovation of the buildings is a good thing overall, and if there is some assurance by developers that the classic Printer's Alley atmosphere will, at least for the most part, be maintained, then I'm all for this boutique hotel.  I will be the first to admit that I'm probably jumping the gun and likely overreacting.  Sometimes, I allow myself to get a bit too worked up over things like this.  However, given the fact that they've, seemingly rather indifferently, already told six businesses, including two Printer's Alley favorites, to get the F out of dodge, I don't think anyone would be too out of line if that was a cause for concern that that trend might continue.

Edited by BnaBreaker

Ha.

Potted plants? Check!

Water fountain? Check!

citylimits1-1.jpg

Hopefully they can work something out renovate the spaces, both Lonnie's & The Fiddle & Steel could use it (I'm not sure about The Brass Stables), and keep the business. I may have to go down there this weekend and take it in while I still can! 

• Like 4

Ha.

Potted plants? Check!

Water fountain? Check!

citylimits1-1.jpg

Hopefully they can work something out renovate the spaces, both Lonnie's & The Fiddle & Steel could use it (I'm not sure about The Brass Stables), and keep the business. I may have to go down there this weekend and take it in while I still can!

Everyone needs to take a breath. The gem that is Printers Alley isn't going anywhere. The ONLY reason for that group to purchase the property they did is the character and location. They intend to capitalize on the connection to both sides and the potential revenue a new club could generate. New capital will be a good thing for the area.

The new Speakeasy going in on the corner, the redevelopment of the Bankers Alley intersection and the development of the adjacent lot will all happen within the next 18 months. The unfortunate casualty may be some if the seedier establishments that quite honestly haven't out the money into the unkeep that they should have.

How long until NES gets a broker to sale their parcel across the street from 11 North in North Gulch, may set a land record in the downtown core.

They have been approached but it will NOT happen under current leadership. When Capitol View Phase 2 is underway maybe we will get lucky enough to have a new NES CEO that will look at the land value and make the proper rational decision.

I will absolutely agree with you that some small, narrow streets provide unique commercial environments that are prizeworthy.  That's what I love about Philadelphia.  Nashville has a few spots that have such potential and Printer's Alley is on the short list.

I remain optimistic that Printer's Alley has a lot of character that is worth saving - notably the live music aspect - and that if done properly the infusion of capital into the physical buildings may help to keep that physical space viable long-term.  Without some live music, entertainment, or at least retail features, Printer's Alley is just an alley.  That outcome would be a wasted opportunity.

But public outrage that is not focused on a mutually beneficial outcome will simply lead to careless development at best or further disinvestment at worst.  Keeping Printer's Alley exactly as it is today is not enforceable and may not be all that sustainable long term.  Let's try to keep the public conversation about Printer's Alley and Music Row directed toward identifying a shared vision with deep public support that attracts rather than deflects investment.

Hmm...a gritty, narrow alley way filled with small, quirky local bars that feature colorful signs jutting out from the buildings over the alley itself at differing elevations...yeah...yeah you're right.  It has nothing in common with Printer's Alley.  :dontknow:

Sarcasm aside, I am honestly wondering.  What is it about that Tokyo alley that, in your mind, is so different and so much better?  Is it the potted plants?  I think you might be making a comparison that is quite a bit more in depth than I intended.  My only point was that environments like that are unique and special and cherished in some parts of the world. 

As for the rest of your post, you are right and I do agree that the renovation of the buildings is a good thing overall, and if there is some assurance by developers that the classic Printer's Alley atmosphere will, at least for the most part, be maintained, then I'm all for this boutique hotel.  I will be the first to admit that I'm probably jumping the gun and likely overreacting.  Sometimes, I allow myself to get a bit too worked up over things like this.  However, given the fact that they've, seemingly rather indifferently, already told six businesses, including two Printer's Alley favorites, to get the F out of dodge, I don't think anyone would be too out of line if that was a cause for concern that that trend might continue.

Edited by bwithers1

I will absolutely agree with you that some small, narrow streets provide unique commercial environments that are prizeworthy.  That's what I love about Philadelphia.  Nashville has a few spots that have such potential and Printer's Alley is on the short list.

I would love it if we had more of this narrow street/alley type of development.  Apparently Melbourne, Australia is full of this sort of thing. And amazing graffiti.

Hardware-Lane-Melbourne-at-Night-Eating-melbourne-alleyways_zpsac91136e.jpgmelbourne-graffiti_zps67c69736.jpg[/url

]Degraves-Street-Melbourne-Eating-Night-X

What are some other places in Nashville where this type of development would be possible? 

Edited by Neigeville2
  • Like 2

What are some other places in Nashville where this type of development would be possible? 

oh, any number of alleys could take on a new life

Arcade alley (where Back Alley Diner is)

Alley that runs E-W between 2nd and 4th (and intersects Printers Alley)

Tootsies/Ryman alley

Lower Broad alley (currently parking) between Tequila Cowboy and Broadway Brewhouse

Edited by CenterHill

Indeed, Downtown has several alleys that could be better utilized. 

Five Points has a few alleys that have potential for this kind of development if some of the "missing teeth" parking lots were filled in appropriately.  Notably the alley behind Red Door and Five Spot.  Or even Clearview Ave itself.  If we could somehow open up that Woodland Studios building frontage and fill in the parking lot, that would be very similar to a Printer's Alley feel now that FiddleHouse and Treehouse are open.

Otherwise, the laneway in the Shoppes at Fatherland has an arcade-like feel, which goes to show that new construction can intentially create these types of environments even where they do not presently exist.

Germantown has some quite narrow streets, such as Madison, that could present such an "alley" feel if some of the new construction planned were to do a better job of street-level retail/business activation than VistaGermantown did.  I'm looking forward to the beer hall thing for more of a European-style streetscape. 

Jackson Street in the ballpark area could maybe pull off this kind of a feel as well depending on how things turn out.

Similarly, Sobro and Rutledge Hill have some streets that are narrow enough to create this "alley" feel if they are developed appropriately, such as the really crooked part of Lea Avenue closest to LaFayette, Rutledge Ave, that tiny sliver of 1st Ave South between KVB and Peabody, and Fogg Street right behind the Antiques Mall. 

In the Gulch, Pine Street east of 11th (connecting to Peg Leg Porker's BBQ) has a neat pedestrian feel and I'm much more excited about how Magazine Street and Gleaves Street, et al turn out in a low-rise adaptive reuse sense than I am about the glass-box buildings going in closer to Demonbreun.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Indeed, a lot of the new infill is not really creating the opportunities for really active streetscapes. There's too much blank space and too many parking garages and the projects themselves are too big and too far apart. Hopefully, the intown population will finally reach a critical mass which necessitates the inclusion of retail and commercial spaces in every available nook and cranny. That being said, it's critical that Nashville holds onto its unique spaces and seizes opportunities to develop new ones as bwithers 1 illustrates. 

That's another reason I'm not enthused about streetscape improvements, i.e. straightening and widening the hodgepodge streets in SoBro. As it is, I think they create the opportunity for more unique, small-scale, pedestrian oriented (or better yet, pedestrian only) spaces. The kind you see in older cities throughout the world, but rarely in the U.S outside of the Northeast. The misaligned streets certainly make it difficult for cars, which, IMO, is a damn good thing as we hopefully add more and more pedestrians to the mix. 

• Like 4

Straying off the topic (sort of), I have a relative who works in the hotel industry and he has heard that the Ace Hotels are looking at this spot? Has anybody else heard this?

Ace is an interesting chain. I'd love to know where they are looking.

Straying off the topic (sort of), I have a relative who works in the hotel industry and he has heard that the Ace Hotels are looking at this spot? Has anybody else heard this?

I've heard rumors of this as well, but I can't remember which spot.

There's a lot of press saying very good things about this chain, but it is definitely not for everyone. Quite unique and they put a lot of effort into absorbing and emulating the culture of the city, but they inherently have a Portland, OR vibe to them (that's their home, after all). Very "East Nashville" as well...but come to think of it, would be a perfect fit in Printer's Alley.

• Like 1